Bad info out there about expiration

tjham

I am on a private parenting board and someone asked about using an infant seat that will be expiring soon (but still usable for this baby). The discussion went on with most people agreeing that you should go by the expiration date. Then along came these two posts :eek: , one right after the other:

I was in a baby factory shop yesterday and the lady said if the carseat has been stored away then it doesn't count only when it is outside in the UV rays as it weakens the seat.

FWIW, a child safety coordinator and I were talking about reusing older carseats a while back, and she said that the *expiry date* refers to continuous use...so if the carseat's been packed away and stored for part of the time, that affects the *actual* expiry of the seat. So, unless you've left the carseat out in the sun or been using it as a trampoline or portable fishpond, you should be fine!

Then my response:

I have to say, according to the advice of all of the car seat technicians I have read on several child seat safety boards, both of those ladies are very wrong. The phrases "continuous use" or "stored away" have nothing to do with the expiration date and when you should stop using a seat. It may be fine to use a seat a few months past the date, as there probably is a little leeway built in, but I wouldn't go much beyond that. It's just not worth the risk.

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Ack. It should tell them something that no carseat manufacturer will guarantee that their seat will work correctly after the expiration date. So they are putting their own "expertise" above that of industry professionals and techs.

Kellyr2

The only way those conditions would make a difference is that if a seat was stored for a couple years in, say, an attic where it got very very hot, or very very cold for long periods, I'd quit using it BEFORE it "expired." I assume the dates are based on the worst scenarios anyway, but just in case, I'd consider the life of a seat like that to be shorter, for my own personal use. But I wouldn't go OVER the expiration date for any reason, even if it sat in storage in a climate controlled warehouse for 6 yrs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC