Oh god, please tell me that's NOT the DOM

ADS

canadiangie

And I will attempt to explain why I'm so intrigued by these pics...

A few weeks ago Canmom and I did a clinic where we came across a 3in1 seat with a '11 DOM that had notches in the shell. For lots of reasons we were pretty shocked to see the notches. Overhead shields haven't been made for a long time. Notches existed on shells because it was in those spots that overhead shields were attached, way back when. Dorel has always been famous for "shell sharing" meaning they take an existing shell but create multiple seats with it. In the case of the notches, they would sell some seats with an OHS, and some with a 5 point harness, but the notched out shell was still there. Dorel was sued for damages and paid out an undisclosed amount to a few (iirc) families for permanent injury and even death iirc associated with notched shells. Dorel phased out the mould(s) used to make notched shells -- or at least that is how I recall things. So why are these notches there now? Or moreover how is if that these new seats have notches? Now in full disclosure, the notches we came across didn't have the divets in them. There was no hole / hole cover (as seen in pp's hand), but the shape and size of the notch was the same. Anyway, at some point we got to wondering if 3in1 seats of the past had notches, but I couldn't remember. Hence me asking for op to peek behind the cover. This thread started because op wanted to know how to read the dials/clocks embossed on the shell as a clue in determining when the seat was made. The clocks represent when the shell was made, though. Which takes me back to my question about how this new seat we came across could have a 'feature' that hasn't existed since way back when. So I think I might go look at some clocks tomorrow on some new seats at walmart. Cause honestly, I'm baffled.

Eta- just to be clear, seats involved in the lawsuits were Touriva convertibles, not 3in1 seats.

Last edited:

clarinetb

Very interesting....
I'm surprised the seat might be that old and have a 35 lb RF limit. We had an Eddie Bauer one, looks pretty well identical in terms of setup to what is posted here, that expires in 2014 and was a 30 lb RF limit. That seems very early to have a 35 lb RF limit on one of their seats. Hmmm.

Glad you have got it sorted out for now so the little one isn't riding in the seat!

canmom

Iirc, there was a small window if time when seats did have 35 lbs rfing limits.... Then that disappeared. It reappeared a couple of years ago :).

LittlePeanut

canmom said:
Iirc, there was a small window if time when seats did have 35 lbs rfing limits.... Then that disappeared. It reappeared a couple of years ago :).

Yup, I recall that too. I remember noticing the 35 lb limit on a seat or two that friends had and wasca bit shocked because by that point, they were back down to 30 lbs on the shelves.

Lea_Ontario

It did though.

We had a 35lb rear-facing Regal Rider that we bought when Boo was little.
It's expired now though.

By the time we needed to purchase a seat for Bug, we (Canada) were limited to 30lb rear-facing.

A couple of years later, we got 35lb rear facing seats back again.

And now 40lb and 45lb ones !

Keeanh

Interesting. Wow. I found a Regal Ride (Touriva twin) in MIL's garage that had notches. It wasn't expired at the time (Dec 2010 was the expiry), but I talked her into tossing it.

Did you check the harness & buckle parts for DOM tags?

Shanora

I should check the Canadian tire here in the city, cause I *think* they had an old Regal Rider there (not sure why its still on the shelf).....might have been in Ontario though (Gotta love being military and posted from city to city).

canmom

I should check the Canadian tire here in the city, cause I *think* they had an old Regal Rider there (not sure why its still on the shelf).....might have been in Ontario though (Gotta love being military and posted from city to city).

My Canadian Tire has the Regal Rider in the shelf. Iirc, in recent years, I have seen them at couple Canadian Tires and once at Zellers.

krissybear25

Whoa! Is this what u guys mean by death notches???? This is my sons seat that I bought new for him to use for a couple months. He's now in a complete air. I'm wondering if it has these also.

Last edited:

canadiangie

Whoa! Is this what u guys mean by death notches???? This is my sons seat that I bought new for him to use for a couple months. He's now in a complete air. I'm wondering if it has these also.

Yes, those would be notches in the shell. "death notches" is a slang term.

To my knowledge the Complete Air does not have a notched shell.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC