Oh god, please tell me that's NOT the DOM

ADS

canadiangie

I don't think the ca does now that I think of it. I'm glad I'm not using that seat. I'm thinking i should call dorel.

Let's not panic. The benefit of the 3in1 seat is that there is an internal headrest that, if adjusted correctly, creates a 'barrier' between the child's skull and the notches in the shell. Or at least that's my hope.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Did their seats go to 35 lbs back then?

In 1999 they wouldn't have had a 35lb limit. I recall seeing an older 3in1 seat at a check soon after I started volunteering at the public checks, and it had a 20lb rf'ing limit and a 20lb minimum to ff. It was a few months away from expiring at the time I saw it. (It sticks out in my head because I didn't believe the parent at first when they told me the seat had a 20lb minimum weight limit to ff and a max rf'ing weight limit of 20lbs. So imagine my surprise when I read the stickers on the seat...) :eek:

They went from that weight limit, to a 35lb rf'ing limit later on - I'm thinking 2003? I'm pretty sure that the seat I saw was expiring Dec 08 and only had a 6yr lifespan on it if I remember right. After that, they had a 35lb rf'ing limit until 2004. My Sept 2004 DOM was a 30lb rf'ing limit, and I think I'd missed the 35lbs by just a few months.

eta: Thinking back more in terms of timeline and the year I was certified, the seat I'm remembering probably had a 2001 DOM - so I'm not sure exactly when they went to 35lbs in there - they're all expired or close to expired now anyways

snowbird25ca

The CA is definitely smooth along the side. The AOE models are also smooth along the side.

The notches on the current seats are slightly different because they're smooth on the inside. I'm not sure if the actually injury was coming from the width of the indentation and hitting the head on the indentation, or if it was from the jagged area within the indentation. I know for a period of time the Touriva shells simply had a piece of EPS foam that was placed to fill the space.

canadiangie

The CA is definitely smooth along the side. The AOE models are also smooth along the side.

The notches on the current seats are slightly different because they're smooth on the inside. I'm not sure if the actually injury was coming from the width of the indentation and hitting the head on the indentation, or if it was from the jagged area within the indentation. I know for a period of time the Touriva shells simply had a piece of EPS foam that was placed to fill the space.

Re-reading a few articles on the matter, it seems that the actual U-shaped indentation was the culprit. The word jagged is used, but my interpretation, mostly because there is no mention of a little sharp piece being the culprit, is that the "2 inch U shaped indentation" is what caused the skull fracture. I regularly question what I read/hear in the media, but the Tribune Article is so detailed and seemingly well researched, you would think if a sharp piece within the U caused the injuries it would be further explained. Of course, I could be wrong, though.

The nurse who testified suggested a cover such as bicycle helmet foam be created to cover the indentation, but aside from the added cost of .24 cents per seat to do this, dorel found any sort of cover tended to pop out/off during crash testing. The article states the notched seats were sold thru 2005 because dorel chose to phase out the three separate molds one at a time. An abrupt halt would have meant a loss of 4 million dollars. So one factory stopped making notched tourivas, while two other factories cont'd to do so. And then finally just one factory made them, and then finally the notched shells were no longer made.

Until 2010 (?) when dorel started to make notched out shells for their 3in1 seats, I guess. :confused:

canadiangie

In 1999 they wouldn't have had a 35lb limit. I recall seeing an older 3in1 seat at a check soon after I started volunteering at the public checks, and it had a 20lb rf'ing limit and a 20lb minimum to ff. It was a few months away from expiring at the time I saw it. (It sticks out in my head because I didn't believe the parent at first when they told me the seat had a 20lb minimum weight limit to ff and a max rf'ing weight limit of 20lbs. So imagine my surprise when I read the stickers on the seat...) :eek:

They went from that weight limit, to a 35lb rf'ing limit later on - I'm thinking 2003? I'm pretty sure that the seat I saw was expiring Dec 08 and only had a 6yr lifespan on it if I remember right. After that, they had a 35lb rf'ing limit until 2004. My Sept 2004 DOM was a 30lb rf'ing limit, and I think I'd missed the 35lbs by just a few months.

eta: Thinking back more in terms of timeline and the year I was certified, the seat I'm remembering probably had a 2001 DOM - so I'm not sure exactly when they went to 35lbs in there - they're all expired or close to expired now anyways

I just had my sister dig up the EB 3in1 I bought for my niece when she was born in Sept of '02. The DOM is 2002/04/16, and the weight restrictions are:

RF 5-35lbs
FF 22-40lbs

I've been a seat brat for a long time (like since I got my license and could secretly sneak off to stores and spend the afternoon reading manuals and dismantling seats on the store floor :eek:) so I spent the better part of 9mos pondering seats for my niece, and waited for the cobalt blue and black EB to go on sale. I was so excited to buy her a seat that rear faced so long...

snowbird25ca

I just had my sister dig up the EB 3in1 I bought for my niece when she was born in Sept of '02. The DOM is 2002/04/16, and the weight restrictions are:

RF 5-35lbs
FF 22-40lbs

I've been a seat brat for a long time (like since I got my license and could secretly sneak off to stores and spend the afternoon reading manuals and dismantling seats on the store floor :eek:) so I spent the better part of 9mos pondering seats for my niece, and waited for the cobalt blue and black EB to go on sale. I was so excited to buy her a seat that rear faced so long...

Man, I sure wish I could remember exactly when it was. I remember the firehall I was at, and that the seat was just months from expiring. I don't remember the kid other than the child was really young and had to ff because of the weight limit, and it was an older pick-up truck. It must've been an 01 DOM? No clue why this is bugging me since it doesn't actually matter, but it is really bugging the heck out of me, lol. It couldn't have been 2002 DOM anyways.

canadiangie

Man, I sure wish I could remember exactly when it was. I remember the firehall I was at, and that the seat was just months from expiring. I don't remember the kid other than the child was really young and had to ff because of the weight limit, and it was an older pick-up truck. It must've been an 01 DOM? No clue why this is bugging me since it doesn't actually matter, but it is really bugging the heck out of me, lol. It couldn't have been 2002 DOM anyways.

I get that. I remember things in pictures and when I can't quite 'see' what I'm trying to remember it bugs the heck out of me. I can remember things from ten years ago when it comes to things like seats, but I can't tell you what I had for lunch today.

LittlePeanut

001-3.jpg
002.jpg
003-2.jpg
004-3.jpg
005-2.jpg

007.jpg
009.jpg
012.jpg
014.jpg

Pictures as promise. I have been given the go ahead to destroy and dispose of this seat but I'm going to see if my tech instructor might like it for teaching purposes.

snowbird25ca

Looks like the mold was definitely December 1999, so I wonder what the assembly date is. It's clearly a 5 to 35lb seat too. (Doing more scratching of my head now because I'm sure that once they were 35lbs they stayed 35lbs until they dropped to 30lbs. I thought they were only good for 6 yrs back then - is there a "do not use after" on the mold? If it was 8yrs then that would explain things.)

I don't know what the instructors around there are typically like for seats, but I know I prefer to keep training seats current and not expired unless there's a feature on the seat that I want for training and the seat hasn't gone through any changes since the training seat was made. (I have one like that for a back adjust infant harness, the rest I use are current.)

It's wonderful of you to offer it, I just don't want you to feel offended if she turns you down. :love:

LittlePeanut

Nah I won't be offended. I just wasn't sure if this "notch" thing was something should be shown to student techs so they know what to look out for. I can't see a stamp but I'm going to strip it down soon and have a better look.

LittlePeanut

Well, well, well... After taking the cover off and looking just about everywhere for a stamp, the last place I thought to look (thanks Keeanh for pointing out that they could be on the harness as I always forget about that location). Soooooo, drum roll please................. The DOM on this seat which is stamped with a mould date of December 1999 is November 2001 :D

So there it is, regardless of whether it was an 8 or 6 year expiry, it's well past now.

canadiangie

First, little peanut, I hope you don't mind me posting over and over on your thread. I feel bad posting again. :eek:

However, I guess this notch discovery of mine isn't actually a discovery at all.

Today, I worked on a 2007 DOM 3in1 that had a notched shell. I hate to assume things, but given the fact that I've met a 07, 10, and 11 DOM 3in1 seat all with a notched shell, I'm guessing this has been going on the entire time, at least on some models. I guess since the notched seats were never recalled, and a notched shell isn't a compliance issue there really isn't anything anyone can do about it. My understanding is that Dorel never really agreed it was an issue in the first place.

canadiangie

Update:

The CPST from dorel got back to me today.

I was told that the notches, referred to as indentations, have always been on 3in1 seats, and that they are on all models. I suggested that some models don't have the indentations, but I was told to look harder; that in fact they all do. I decided not to argue. I was told that the indentations are of no concern because they are covered by the seat pad and headrest. So I clarified that they would be a concern if they aren't covered. He paused and said they just aren't a concern.

So I guess they aren't a concern.

Jessica61624

canadiangie said:
Update:

I was told that the notches, referred to as indentations, have always been on 3in1 seats, and that they are on all models. I suggested that some models don't have the indentations, but I was told to look harder; that in fact they all do. I decided not to argue. I was told that the indentations are of no concern because they are covered by the seat pad and headrest. So I clarified that they would be a concern if they aren't covered. He paused and said they just aren't a concern.

yea I don't trust dorel

snowbird25ca

Update:

:rolleyes: Umm - yeah, they're not on the AOE seats - I checked while I was at work the other night - I checked all 3 models. I also checked an Enspira that Zellers had and it didn't have it either. And in technicality, it is a 3in1 seat.

It's probably not worth arguing with them over given that it is covered with the headrest when the seat is used properly, but I'd like to bop them in the head for not knowing their own product...

canadiangie

:rolleyes: Umm - yeah, they're not on the AOE seats - I checked while I was at work the other night - I checked all 3 models. I also checked an Enspira that Zellers had and it didn't have it either. And in technicality, it is a 3in1 seat.

It's probably not worth arguing with them over given that it is covered with the headrest when the seat is used properly, but I'd like to bop them in the head for not knowing their own product...

Right. And ironically, if they have to be on any model, I'd prefer them on the Elite so at least there's a greater chance of the headrest being adjusted properly. As it stands now, I've only seen the notches on rear adjust models.

krissybear25

So on the alpha omega the headrest does completely cover the notches, except when the harness is at the higher heights. Then the nouches would be at the shoulder i think.
Today I was at my friends, she doesn't drive so only uses a car seat ocassionaly. Someone gave her a seat that expires at the end of the year. I looked at it and it was a touriva. We tried to smash it but it would not break so we just took the harness out and threw it in the dumpster. I gave her my alpha omega to use since I'm not using it. And I gave her a lesson on how to install it.

snowbird25ca

Right. And ironically, if they have to be on any model, I'd prefer them on the Elite so at least there's a greater chance of the headrest being adjusted properly. As it stands now, I've only seen the notches on rear adjust models.

I think the Elite has never had it because of the arm-rests. The arm-rests of the elite model would prevent an OHS from being able to be moved in to place I believe.

I wish they'd put the red tabs on the other models too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC