Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

My 5 1/2 YO wants to be in a booster...

Her brother (7 1/2) is with the grandparents this week, so she's been riding in his parkway. She's JUST big enough (40 pounds), but it fits her beautifully. She's been sitting perfectly in it 90% of the time. The other 10, I think she's just getting used to not being harnessed in, she leans out a little.

At this age, I'm not totally comfortable with her being in it permanently, and really, I need her in the Radian because I can't get 3 across without it.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do other than make her stay in the Radian and listen to her complain for the next year and a half.
    Mama to DS:10/03-Harmony Transit, DD 1/06 Parkway, DD2 4/10- Nextfit/frontier DD3 7/13- Pria

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: My 5 1/2 YO wants to be in a booster...

If it won't work in your can, then it won't work. But, is it something that could be a "reward" when her older sibling isn't in the car?

Explain to her that she has to be in the Radian because that's the only thing that works for three across. If you're comfortable with part time use, let her use the booster when her big brother isn't in the car to appease her.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

That's how my middle DS booster trained. He normally harnessed in the GN and when brother was at school, Mitch had every other day kindergarten and would ride if he wanted in the HB TB that was originally our oldest's. It worked great. When he outgrew the harness in the GN oldest outgrew the HB part of the TB, so we got oldest an Amp and handed down the HB TB.
    Monica-former CPST, now just a car-seat safety freak.
    Samuel, 12 yrs, seat belt middle passenger row of our Odyssey.
    Mitchell, 10yrs, back row, Amp.
    Lucy, 6 years, booster. All of us occasionally ride in a Honda Fit.

I'd use it as a chance to booster train, but with such a light weight, I'd be afraid to make it a permanent change because if she got sick, she could easily drop below the minimum.

Also, be firm in saying that you have an age requirement. Not only because you have to feel comfortable when driving instead of nervously turning around to check your child, but because it's an age where she's going to be mature enough not to be arguing with you and not doing that 10% of the time behavior.

Again, when the older sibling isn't along, go ahead... perfect time to booster practice/train.

but I would wait... since obviously the child is not 100% ready, you need the Radian for space, and your baby doesn't need it yet.

now in a year or so... move baby to the Radian and see if another Parkway will fit on the other side... but for now, stick to your guns.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Ditto everyone else.

Senior Community Member Raegansmom4's Avatar

My 5.5 year old is boostered full-time now (except on long trips when she sleeps, then she's in the Regent), but she's around 65 lbs and 49" tall. She sits in it great. But in your situation where she's right at the minimum, I'd keep her harnessed (plus you need her harnessed for the 3-across anyway).
    Amy - former CPST
    Raegan (11/4/05) - Seat belt
    Brinlee (3/16/08) - Backless booster
    Harper (2/12/2016) - Chicco Keyfit 30

Thanks everyone. The biggest issue with fit is that the Radian doesn't fit rear-facing in our car. I'm thinking DD1 will outgrow the Radian around the time that I would feel comfortable turning DD2 around FF (about 3 years old). At least I'm HOPING that's how it works out...otherwise I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
    Mama to DS:10/03-Harmony Transit, DD 1/06 Parkway, DD2 4/10- Nextfit/frontier DD3 7/13- Pria