Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

IIHS tests crashworthiness of convertible car models

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has released its first crash test results of convertible models, just in time for the summer driving season in the U.S. The gist of the results is that a convertible is not as safe as a comparably equipped non-convertible model, although convertibles tend to have similar death rates to non-convertibles as convertibles are typically driven fewer miles. The IIHS also makes a point of emphasizing that all bets are off if you don't wear your seatbelt. I thought I'd post the links here in the News Articles section for handy reference in light of the recent discussions of convertible safety elsewhere on the forum.

IIHS press release: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr053107.html
    You can also click on the "Video" link near the top of the press release for some crash test footage and explanations.

Detailed IIHS status report on convertible safety: http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4206.pdf
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: IIHS tests crashworthiness of convertible car models

interesting... euroNCAP has been testing convertibles for some time now. i didn't even realize that they weren't tested here...

yet again, i'm not surprised that the two top cars are swedish nameplates. it's also interesting to note that some had rollbars and some didn't, and some cars without a rollbar performed better than others with one... this goes to show that just because a car has a specific "feature" doesn't mean it is necessarily safer.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

That's good to know. My next car I want is a Saab 9-3 convertible. That is when 2 kiddos leave the house for college! lol
    Lysandra
    CPST, LLLL and SAHM
    Mia 13, Ian 10, Clek Olli x2, TB and BubbleBum

lol I told Cam that I wanted a convertible for my 40th birthday. lol Ten years to go.....
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley