IIHS tests crashworthiness of convertible car models

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has released its first crash test results of convertible models, just in time for the summer driving season in the U.S. The gist of the results is that a convertible is not as safe as a comparably equipped non-convertible model, although convertibles tend to have similar death rates to non-convertibles as convertibles are typically driven fewer miles. The IIHS also makes a point of emphasizing that all bets are off if you don't wear your seatbelt. I thought I'd post the links here in the News Articles section for handy reference in light of the recent discussions of convertible safety elsewhere on the forum.

IIHS press release: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr053107.html
You can also click on the "Video" link near the top of the press release for some crash test footage and explanations.

Detailed IIHS status report on convertible safety: http://www.iihs.org/sr/pdfs/sr4206.pdf

ADS

southpawboston

interesting... euroNCAP has been testing convertibles for some time now. i didn't even realize that they weren't tested here...

yet again, i'm not surprised that the two top cars are swedish nameplates. it's also interesting to note that some had rollbars and some didn't, and some cars without a rollbar performed better than others with one... this goes to show that just because a car has a specific "feature" doesn't mean it is necessarily safer.

Lys

Senior Community Member
That's good to know. My next car I want is a Saab 9-3 convertible. That is when 2 kiddos leave the house for college! lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC