which seats for travel seats and can also be used in Corolla

armyfam

Not sure where this should be? I am taking a 14 hour flight next month and need travel seat recommendations. I also need these seats to be the spare seats for my husbands car-2004 Corolla. I drive and 06 Sedona.

I currently have in Korea with me-2 EFTA, Radian XTSL, HB Monterey, LB Turbo and Onboard 35. I also have a Regent(DOM 2007) in Storage in the US.

I was going to ship 3 seats in the van headed back to the US in a few weeks and keep seats with me for the plane trip and rental car.

My girls are 4.5-38.5 pounds
14 months -21 pounds
9- 67.5 pounds

My initial thought was to take the radian on the plane for my 4 yr old and Onboard 35 for the 14 m old(will be around 16 months then) but I don't think the baby will be happy in the Onboard and I don't see how she will be able to eat with the tray.

I will buy another seat if needed but I don't want to spend too much. I was thinking Scenera or Tribute for the travel seat but wasn't sure if I could use the eating tray in the plane with them(was not able to use the tray with our Como on the way here) or if it would fit in a Corolla with my other seats.

What would you do with my seats and what do you suggest? Thank you!

ADS

Jan06twinmom

The Radian for the 4yo makes sense. It's heavy, but it works really well with trays.

For the 16mo, I would actually install the car seat rf on the airplane just like I would do in the car. This would mean that the tray is not accessible anyway. However, I don't know if that is an option. What airline are you flying on?

For the oldest child, I assume you are carrying a nbb on the plane and storing it in the overhead bin. I would just make sure you have it with you so you don't have to worry about it getting lost with luggage.

Melanie

armyfam

I'm not sure which airline we will be using. We got here on Korean Air so I am assuming we will use them again. The Army books our ticket:)
I'm worried about how will DD3 eat in a RF bucket and no tray? She is on mostly solids now. I think I remember getting 2 meals and a snack during the flight over.
Are there any seats (other than the radian) that we can use the tray if she is FF?
We'll be flying from California to NC at least 2-3 times in the next 2 years. The first being this Christmas so we are doing quite a bit of long haul travelling.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My rear-facing kids eat just fine, I just hand them a bowl with bite-sized food. That's pretty easy to manage, even on a plane, just pack a lightweight small bowl and portion her food into it when she's ready to eat.

Jan06twinmom

I also didn't have any issues with my kids eating on the plane when they were rf. My DD was rf until she was 4y4m and we flew cross country several times. I packed the food and gave it to them in small pieces.

Even though you will be served meals and snacks on the plane, I would strongly recommend taking food with you that your know your child likes to eat. It'll also allow you to feed her when she is hungry instead of relying on the airline's food schedule.

I found that it was easier to interact with my children when they were rf too. We were able to look at each other and play with different toys. When my DD was ff, I was bending my head around the side of the car seat and I ended up with a sort neck from being in that position so much. The toys were easier to contain when she was forward facing since they ended up on her seat when she threw them.

Melanie

armyfam

Great! That's my plan- DD1- LB booster-
DD2-Radian on plane
DD3-Onboard on plane-no base
While I am here:) Do you know if these three seats will fit in an 04 Corolla?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We had an 03 Corolla for many years, same body style- those should most definitely fit. :) The center won't have a headrest so the booster rider will need to be outboard. If you put the Radian in the center (I'm assuming forward-facing?) you will need to use seatbelt- twist the buckle stalk down as many times as you can, don't use the recline on the Radian, and buckle and pull tight (through the cover slit) before locking the belt. Once you've got it tight and locked the belt you should be able to get it a little tighter by getting a knee in the seat, other foot on the floor of the car, pulling through the cover slit again, and then get a hand under where the belt feeds in to compress the cushion to be able to feed the belt in that last couple of "clicks." (That sounds more complicated than it is-- just thought I'd pass along my tips since it took a while to work them out!) The retractors may make a infant seat without a base tippy so you might want to use a locking clip on that one. :)

vonfirmath

I'm worried about how will DD3 eat in a RF bucket and no tray? She is on mostly solids now. I think I remember getting 2 meals and a snack during the flight over.
Are there any seats (other than the radian) that we can use the tray if she is FF?

You can use the tray with the Maestro.

But honestly my son sat rear-facing on every flight until he was 3 years old and had no problem eating in his car seat -- just like eating in the car. Make sure the drink is in a sippy cup (which we ended up doing even in the Maestro) and cut up the food into bite size pieces.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC