Tough parental decisions..WWYD??

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I will have a friend's daughter 2-3 days per week over the summer. When I agreed, it hadn't occured to me that I'd have a car seat issue :(

2007 Dodge Charger-back seat is contoured so bump in the middle and raised edges on the outboard seats.

Braedon: 7.5yo (8 in Sept); 55lbs, 49"; currently riding in Frontier80 booster but new to this
M (friends daughter): 8yo but not sure on weight and height but they are very similar size..her torso is slightly taller; currently riding in turbo
Cohen: 2.5yo (3 in Oct); 32lbs, 38"; RF CA

Best situations I could come up with:

1: Put Cohen in the middle RF and buy 2 Harmony boosters (only ones narrow enough to fit next to the CA) for the bigger kids in the outboard positions.

**Problems I have with this are no SIP for the big kids. I have crazy anxiety over them being in a booster without a back especially since Braedon is so new to being in a booster and I can't get over the what if we are hit on the side.

2: Cohen in the middle FF which will make enough room for the Turbo's to fit with backs.

**Problems with this are the obvious FF 2yo :(

Only other thing I could come up with would be putting one of them in the front seat :thumbsdown: with air bags that won't turn off.

So I ask...what would you do if this were you? I'm still trying to figure out which one gives me less anxiety. I'm supposed to be picking her up tomorrow.

ADS

babyherder

I'd do backless boosters in the back seat. I'm assuming no booster fits in the middle? Can you do one highback booster and one backless? Is there another seat your little one can rf in that leaves more room for boosters? Hopefully someone will have a suggestion for how to fit at least one highback booster.

Pixels

There is no difference between HBB and NBB, according to statistics. I know, my gut says that can't be true, too. Statistics do show us that going from RF to FF at that age is a huge decrease in safety. So is sitting in the front seat (~30-35%). So, I would do all three in the back, with the little one RFing. If that means the two Bigs are in backless boosters, then so be it.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
I'd do backless boosters in the back seat. I'm assuming no booster fits in the middle? Can you do one highback booster and one backless? Is there another seat your little one can rf in that leaves more room for boosters?

No, there is too much side lean if I try to move the CA outboard because the middle booster will be leaning towards outboard badly and the other will be leaning towards the center just as bad. With keeping Cohen RF, the TB are too wide unless he's FF. Sucks..

smileybrea

CPS Technician
There is no difference between HBB and NBB, according to statistics. I know, my gut says that can't be true, too. Statistics do show us that going from RF to FF at that age is a huge decrease in safety. So is sitting in the front seat (~30-35%).

Very true...

I *think* I have less anxiety over NBB than FF my 2yo

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Can you do rfing Cohen outboard and then 2 backless side by side? I see you said no booster in the middle but have you tried the Harmony's? That would at least give you the option of putting the FR80 back in for booster when you don't have the little girl. My concern is if you have him rfing in the middle, you're either having to move him often to get the bigger booster back in or your oldest is always in a backless now. If you moved him ffing and could do hbb next to him then, then I think I'd do that over backless booster all the time or moving seats continuously.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Thanks Jennifer! I haven't tried 2 Harmony's because I only had 1 with me but the way the armrests bump up the CA, it was pretty far over and even with as narrow as the Harmony is, I think it will still be up on the raised edge...I will try it though and see if that works!

I know it will get tiresome but moving the seats every week won't bother me if that's what I have to do, and Braedon knows we only make these kind of changes when we HAVE to and he will be back in the F80 when she's not with us.

KaiLing

What's the footprint of the Scenera 40RF vs the CA? I don't rightly know, just throwin' that out there. It was taller than I expected since you can go RF to even with the seat. My 16-17" torso-ed guy only outgrew it in the last few weeks. It seemed about as tall as the MyRide on him, weirdly.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
What's the footprint of the Scenera 40RF vs the CA? I don't rightly know, just throwin' that out there.

Oooh! I have the older Scenera and tried that..it measures wider but the Harmony fits perfect next to it..the armrest on that side goes right underneath giving the TB enough room on the other side..with the back! YEAH!

Next concern...there isn't a headrest in the middle position. Is he short enough to ride in the middle? I'm almost sure his torso is shorter than hers.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
Is little girl maybe smaller?

I'm waiting for her mom to measure her. They are close in height but last time I saw her, her TB was set taller than B's is so I'm thinking no. I have plans tonight but I'm going to try the Scenera in the middle with the TB on the sides and see if that works :confused:

Kat_Momof3

the backseat at their ages is SO much safer, I'd rather see them in nbbs back there than put one of them in front.

I would not consider forward facing the 2yr old.

nmb

Is there a center top tether? If so, RSTV? Without the booster underneath I think he'd be short enough that he wouldn't need a headrest.

If that's not an option, any chance the TB w/ back fits next to the Scenera RF? (swap the Harmony & TB in the pic).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm waiting for her mom to measure her. They are close in height but last time I saw her, her TB was set taller than B's is so I'm thinking no. I have plans tonight but I'm going to try the Scenera in the middle with the TB on the sides and see if that works :confused:

Remember that they don't have to buckle/unbuckle each time. If you can get the boosters in and buckle them, they can pull slack into the belt, slide under, and tighten it back up. I do that in a tight 3 across with a booster. :)

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Just going to throw this out as a possibility. Could you try to see if the 8yo 5-steps in the middle? I know some cars and some kids, the center "hump" works as just enough of a "boost" to let them 5-step. Plus, there is almost always a floor "hump" too so the feet are flat on the floor. Her head would be lower with no booster so the headrest may not matter. Not a great option but how much driving will you be doing?

Just a thought.

smileybrea

CPS Technician
So based on measurement her mom sent, she has a full 2" on him so definitely no Harmony in the middle. He absolutely doesn't pass the 5 step..she might but I think I have it figured out. I only have one TB to play with so I will know for sure when she gets here with hers.

Scenera in the middle and TB on the side. I installed the Scenera and tried not to move it so I could flip flop his TB to see if they'd both fit. I had to move the armrests down to the lowest setting to fit under the Scenera which definitely makes for a TIGHT fit for buckling. Thanks KQ for the tip..he was able to climb out with some help. I have locking latchplates so the lap belt doesn't loosen easily.

Here are pics of him on both sides. Sorry about sticking his tongue out..he was done modeling LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC