Vent Just blame Rearfacing...

ADS

leighi123

Doesn't the number always spike in the summer? Kids don't usually die in hot cars in the winter time, because its not hot!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't see it either.

Without being able to read it, my question is: Are kids forgotten BECAUSE they're RF, or are very little babies (therefore RFing) more likely to be forgotten?

Toddlers and older kids are too annoying to forget about. (In all seriousness, they tend to make their presence known by talking, whining, playing with stuff, etc.)

babyherder

Its my job as a caregiver to remember children whenever and wherever. It doesn't mean horrible accidents don't happen. It doesn't mean I'm not scared I'll forget someone sometime (cause I'm kind of paranoid about that). But it does mean I can't make the children in my care less safe so I can remember them more easily.

Ladyl

So weird. It's not working foe me anymore either. I even went back to where I found it.

They quoted some statistics (ala freakonomics) that when rearfacing was pushed in the 1990s hyperthermic deaths of children left in cars spiked. They even said that more children died from being left in the car than "airbags" (which they say is why rearfacing was pushed in the 90s, which makes no sense:confused:).

momtotwogirls

It my job to remember then whether they are rear or foward facing. In fact the most prominent story from last year here was of a child who was forward facing. I am more worried about forgetting them when they arent with me than when they are.

Stelvis

The article doesn't cite any actual statistics about what seating positions the kids were in when they were left, or how many, if any, of the forgotten kids were over 1 still RF...so I'd chalk this up to wild speculation.

MommaWhitney

More children die in car crashes from being improperly restrained. SO I dont even see how rear facing can be blamed. It saves lives.
I think its just a case of parents need to be reminded that this does happen to people who dont do it intentionally and they should take steps to remember that their children are back there. I put my bag underneath my DD2 rear facing car seat. I NEVER leave the car without it. That way I HAVE to open the back door.
I also think that day cares should call parents if the child doesnt show up for day care. It may help remind a parent.

Ladyl

The article doesn't cite any actual statistics about what seating positions the kids were in when they were left, or how many, if any, of the forgotten kids were over 1 still RF...so I'd chalk this up to wild speculation.

Yeah, totally what I thought. But how many parents out there, who don't understand that this is a wild leap, are going to read that, have a mini panic attack and turn their kids ffing? It is pretty easy to say people with scary emotional stories and poorly present stats.

More children die in car crashes from being improperly restrained. SO I dont even see how rear facing can be blamed. It saves lives.

Here is the link I found:
http://www.care2.com/causes/health-...-children-who-die-in-hot-cars-spikes-but-why/

I agree. So we should FF our infants and risk the far more likely event of an accident? I am sure the infant fatality rate would be higher due to the FF position. If someone is that concerned, put a large yellow sticky in the middle of the steering wheel as a reminder to always check if the kids are with you.

What nonsense.

Kat_Momof3

it wasn't bad... I read all the way through and basically they were saying that parents just need to be more cautious... and suggested a soft mirror so they could see the child was in the car...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Airbags weren't what caused the spike in left-in-car deaths-- the push to move kids to the back as airbags were required in the front, was.

skitle1802

Sorry, the kids are playing in mud so my reponse it a bit muddled...
~I think a sleeping forward facing kid is just as easy to forget as a rf kid, if you're not looking at the rear of your vehicle in the rush to be somewhere.
~I know I can't say "It will never happen to me", but I will do my best that it doesn't.
~I like the purse in the backseat, its compartmentalized under the rearfacing seat. Or the story last year about the vice principal forgeting her kid in the car, and returning to her car 4 times to unload donuts. It was suggested leaving a stuffed animal in the seat, when you put the kid in, toss the animal in the front seat. If the bear's in the front seat, the kid is still in the car.

This is a pet peeve of mine, the internet can really boost a person's ego so they think they have all the answers

Ladyl

Airbags weren't what caused the spike in left-in-car deaths-- the push to move kids to the back as airbags were required in the front, was.

OK that makes sense. The article is confusing "kids in the backseat" and "rearfacing seats." I didn't think the airbags were causing the leaving of the kids in the car, but the article made it seem like because there were airbags kids should be rearfacing :confused:.

Baylor

I once forgot my dd was sleeping in the back and she was 7 in a seat belt. she popped up as I got closer to work and scared the bejeebbers out of me!

They have to blame something right? Why not blame the safety guidelines. Idgits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC