Radian XTSL RF height?

laudymama

I have been searching with no luck to find out what the RF height limit on the xtsl is. If it follows the 1in of shell above the head, can anyone tell me how tall their kiddo was when they outgrew it RF and/or what their torso length was?
I've been thinking about this seat lately after noticing that another good growth spurt or two will likely put ds out of rf in his advocate70 and I really want to rf until at least 3:( I took pics but haven't had the chance to upload them yet for opinions! He's still fine in it but I like to think ahead (especially if it means playing with or getting a new toy, I mean carseat:whistle:). Probably going to play with them later today and try it out in our car just because. Also, I've heard they can be tricky and I've never installed one before so any tips I should know?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It follows the one inch rule.

My oldest outgrew it at 42" tall with a 17" torso.

My next kiddo is 4 and only 40" and has lots of room, with only a 16" torso.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

bnsnyde

I too have Advocate70's and am going to have to use the XTSL soon for my girl if I want to keep her RF.

I don't know the height/torso limits on the XTSL but I did stick her in our Radian XT RF the other day to size her, and it looks like she has LOTS of time in that. (I did not measure). I'd just need the XTSL for the higher weight limit.

At 39/40 inches and a 14 torso she has an inch left in her Advocate.

It LOOKS like my oldest son could fit RF in his XT but of course he's over 40 lbs.

Stelvis

They have recently been telling people on FB that it's actually 1.5 inches of shell height above the head. Not sure which is right, since there's nothing in the manual about it. I called once to ask them (this is before my SL issues), and was told that it's a non-issue since it's impossible for any child to be too tall for an RF Radian before they hit 40 or 45 lbs. ? which clearly is not the case.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Stelvis said:
and was told that it's a non-issue since it's impossible for any child to be too tall for an RF Radian before they hit 40 or 45 lbs. ? which clearly is not the case.

Uh yeah, definitely not the case.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

emandbri

From posts and pictures I've seen here, using the one inch rule, the vast majority of kids would outgrow it by weight not height. My third son had slightly over an inch at 6 (but was over the weight limit) and my daughter outgrew it by weight but I know she would fit rfing by height, she will by 5 next month.

My kids are tall but have long legs.

Pixels

The manual says nothing about a one inch rule, nor 1.5 inches. The manual says only 53 inches, top of ears below the top of the shell.

KaiLing

We are a ginormous family and I have a ginormous child who I can't imagine is going to outgrow the Radian RF by height before age 3. He will hit 40 lbs before 3 (we have a DOM 2008 XT), but there's no way he's going to grow 5 inches in the next 6 months. (Or is this a famous last words kind of situation?)

Anyway, if 3 is your goal I would be quite surprised if the 45 lbs RF Radian didn't get you there.

Stelvis

Oh, I agree, it will get almost any kid to 3 RF. But I'm positive my kid would outgrow it by height before weight. He's tall, has a long torso and a long neck and a huge head, but is thin.

andre149

I'm not sure shell height comparisons between the old style MA and the Advocate; but P had about an inch and a half above her head in the MA rf and we put her in the xtsl (33lb limit MA and I wasn't ready to turn her at just 2) I would say she had a good 3-4 inches above her head. It was a huge difference. She turned 3 in May, is 90th percentile (not sure actual number on height) and I would say she still has 2-2 1/2 inches to go. She'll likely outgrow it by weight first, but she's a very solid kid. I think the xtsl would get the vast majority of children rf to at least 3. I know it's not exacts, but I hope that helps some :)

babygirlsmom1005

Madeline outgrew her RNXT by height at 5.5 years old. She has less than one inch of shell above her head and weighs 38 lbs (40 lbs version). She is 43 inches tall, don't know torso height right now.

laudymama

Thank you all for your input....very helpful! It really helps to see how big some kids were when they outgrew a seat and gives me more hope:) DS is all torso and also has a long neck and decent size head making for one "fun" carseat kid! I would LOVE for him to be able to make it to ff in his advocate- and ride in it ff but that would probably be a miracle at this rate. 3 is my minimum but would really go for 4 if he still fits in anything rf.
I did try the xtsl out in the store and he fit well- I actually liked the way the harness fit him better than advocate and got a great seatbelt install with a decent amount of front passenger room to spare. DS didn't want to get out of the seat and had a mini tantrum. I liked it and want it but should probably somehow force myself to wait until it's necessary:rolleyes:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I think it's very rare for a kiddo to outgrow it by height. It does happen, and it happened to me, but she has a really long torso.

JMacSanDiego

My son is still Rf in his XTSL. He's almost 39" tall, and he looks to have about 3 or 4 inches before his head reaches the top of the carseat shell. He weighs about 34 pounds, so his weight is still below the rf weight limit. How much longer do you think it will be before he's too tall? (sorry the picture is so big. I don't know how to make it smaller)
002-1.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC