Best for Airplane?

U

Unregistered

We have a 3 year old and are flying to Disneyland in September flying Southwest. We have both a Graco Nautilus and a Britax Boulevard (one in each vehicle but they can be switched around) - would one or the other be easier on the plane? They seem to be about the same size and can both go on airplanes but I honestly can't decide which one to take. I'm leaning towards the Britax since it seems a bit more narrow and he'll outgrow it soon (really tall torso) so the more use we can get out of it the better but he loves his cup holder in the Graco.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If the Boulevard is going to be used forward facing on the plane, you'll need a seatbelt extender or flip the belt in order to be able to uninstall it. Rather than hassle with that, I'd probably bring the Nautilus. Or if you can use the Boulevard rear facing on the plane, that'd be the easiest. Depends if he's under the weight limit or not.

Wendy

DahliaRW

I'm trying to remember for sure, but I think the one time we flew with the nautilus it wouldn't fit through the scanner assembled, so they had to hand wand it. So that's something to be aware of. You could take the back off and then reassemble if this worries you, but I think that is more of a hassle, personally.

krystin_21a

I would take the Britax and ask for the belt extender for the plane. I would also try to find out which type rental car you will be getting. In some cases you can call the company and request a specific car. The Britax, in my opinion (not having installed the other one) is super easy to install in a variety of vehicles.

vonfirmath

I'm trying to remember for sure, but I think the one time we flew with the nautilus it wouldn't fit through the scanner assembled, so they had to hand wand it. So that's something to be aware of. You could take the back off and then reassemble if this worries you, but I think that is more of a hassle, personally.

My Evenflo Maestro does not fit through the scanner. But getting it wanded was not a big deal; especially the second time when I just pointed it out to security telling them it did not fit. They seemed to appreciate that. The seat is so nice to travel with I would not use whether it fit or not as the deciding factor as to whether to take it.

jujumum

I have flown with a Decathlon (similar frame to the bv65) and didn't need an extender. We did need to pop the black plastic piece off the back for the plane ride only and needed to recline the airplane seat to uninstall. It fit through the scanner face down in recline only. The issue we had is that when ff, the seat infront comes very close to the knees of the child when the person reclines.

I flew with the Nautilus and was able to fit it though the scanner by pressing the two red tabs at the base to disconnect the back while on the conveyor. I just rested the back backwards on the belt, and snapped it upright in place after it came out of the scanner before taking it off the belt. The issue we had on the plane was terrible headslump, much worse than in our van.

For our summer trip we picked up a sale maestro. I think it will fit through a scanner with the arm rests temporarily popped off as facedown w/o them it is only 15" or so high. My dh can take ours off in a few seconds.

Our airport security has tried to get us to check seats that wouldn't fit (we eventually made them fit), rather than wand for some unknown reason.:(
I called in advance this time, though, to ask for the measurements of the scanner. The guy I spoke with promised that they would wand the seat if it didn't fit (I think he thought I was nuts).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC