Are we crazy to consider this?

scatterbunny

Currently Mark drives a 1993 Ford F150 XLT. It's a single cab, longbed pickup truck.

Hayley is too big to ride in any harnessed seat in the center, so she uses a highback booster outboard and we all three can't fit safely together anymore (because that would put me in the lapbelt spot).

It's not a HUGE deal since my 99 Windstar is our primary family transportation, but there are times (camping especially) that we'd like to use the truck as a family vehicle.

A friend made Mark an offer of $3000 for the truck, and I found a 1992 Ford F350 CREW CAB for $3400, and after talking with the owner he's willing to go as low as $3000 because he needs the $$ for first/last/deposit on a new house.

Gas mileage should be only ever-so-slightly worse; not enough to make a huge difference to us. Both trucks get pretty crummy gas mileage. But it would be a compromise since Mark really wants a truck and I really want a truck that we can all safely ride in together. I'd also like him to have any kind of vehicle with a backseat because then Hayley is safer (than riding in the front in his current vehicle).

But dang--a crew cab longbed pickup is just MAMMOTH. It's SO BIG. I'd never drive it, myself. Plus it's a stick shift so I couldn't drive it anyway. :p

What are your thoughts? To me, it sounds perfect--but I'm expecting Mark to put up a slight fight just because he's so attached to his current truck. :rolleyes: :p

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Yes, you are crazy!! Noooo I am just kidding! I think if Mark likes the new truck and he thinks it is a good trade then do it! I think a manual transmission might actually make up for the slight different in gas mileage. Let us know what Mark says!!

scatterbunny

Thanks, Dani. :D His current truck belonged to my grandpa (only owner before us) and it has always been great, no trouble at all, so he's attached to it--but this other truck is still a TRUCK, but seems safer for our family as a whole. A better idea, I think. At least while Hayley fits in highback boosters, because the backseat does not have headrests (front seat does). But she'll fit in highbacks for another 5ish years, hopefully, and by then we can sell this truck and get something with rear headrests. :p

I'm SO excited. We'd be going back a year, but we'd be getting a (full-size) backseat. I looked at a Chevy extended cab today and I just couldn't get myself to agree to something like that--the backseat just looks so tiny (no room for head excursion).

mominabigtruck

To me that sounds like a great deal. F-350s are way more expensive then just regular F-150s so you're only losing a year for the same amount of money. Besides, what man wouldn't want a bigger truck?

scatterbunny

Thanks, Becky and Amy! :D I am really excited about this! I hope the deal works out. The F350 owner said his mechanic said it will need a new power steering pump and master cylinder eventually (not immediately) and he priced the parts at just under $200 total, his original asking price was $3500 but because it will need work soon he said he'd take as low as $3000. I told him I'm a CPST and he said he's got twin 18mo girls and the carseats fit great with his 250# body in between them. :p

Mark's a funny guy, though. He's not impressed by a BIG truck; he's impressed by a truck that he enjoys driving. So I hope the LENGTH of the crew cab doesn't put him off.

Here's the one I'm talking about: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/340990596.html

mominabigtruck

Looks like its in great shape body wise for the year. Does it have a lift on it? I would love to find something like that around here as we only have a chevy truck with a standard cab but I could never find something like that that cheap. I've been looking for something different for dh and everything that I've looked at for what I'm looking to spend which is right about your price range has a ton of rust on it and the interior is trashed.

scatterbunny

I have no idea if it's lifted or not! Didn't think to ask. Mark likes the looks of it, but his friend who offered 3K for our truck is acting wishy-washy now, he's over at his house right now, hopefully trying to talk him into it. :p

Good luck in you search, Amy! Crew cabs in our price range (that aren't older than dirt and trashed) are HARD to come by, I'm noticing.

Morganthe

Wow! That's just huge! I think I could put 2 of dh's Jettas end to end for the same length ;)

That said -- Go for it! I've always held the philosophy that both vehicles in a family need to be able to safely haul in proper seats said family. Otherwise, what would happen if the primary vehicle was taken out by accident or mechanical failure? I'm sure you've had to sacrifice a lot of 'stuff' that had memories for the sake of your family. I say with much sympathy, but a little firmness, it's time for dh to share the pain. Hard, but it's life. :shrug-shoulders:

I'd advise you to learn to drive a stick shift... it's actually more fun than an automatic. But looking at the example of the behometh -- Ummmm, don't learn on that beast ;) Get someone to loan you a nice forgiving small car like a honda civic or a Golf to learn how. You can start them out in 3rd gear if you're generous with the clutch :p

As for your dh's attachment to the truck. I feel his pain. My mom finally gave up her 1964 Ford Falcon that her dad helped buy as her first car (yes, in 1964!) a few years back. He passed on in 1979 and they had an odd relationship, so there were lots of memories attached to it.
She finally admitted that she couldn't trust the thing. It would get vapor lock no matter the weather at least 2x a year. But even now she claims that it was a 'good car' and it was 'dependable.' Hmmm, Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. I still comfort her over it. Especially since 2 months later she saw it at the side of the road all broke down and evidence of a previous minor accident with rust on the side. I think she about lost it. :crying:

good luck :)

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Wow, big truck. :) I'd do it to have the added rear seating in the crew cab. It looks like the twin to the big Ford pickup that t-boned us in DH's Saturn about 3 years ago, except it was a white truck that hit us. The impact barely scratched the pickup's front bumper. Everyone was fine. DH's car needed about $2700 in repairs.

P.S. I don't really know how to drive a stick shift either other than moving a friend's car back and forth in a driveway in reverse/neutral/first when I was helping sell the car. :p

mominabigtruck

Actually, learning to drive a stick on a larger older vehicle is way easier then a small car. Little cars normally have really tight transmissions meaning you have to know what gear you're going or you'll stall it. Older vehicles have looser transmissions that let you fish for a gear if you're not overly sure of where it is. I learned how to drive a stick on a dump truck so it was quite an experience when I got a little honda civic that was a manual.

scatterbunny

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! :D I really, really want it. I know I'll always be reminding Mark how long it is when he turns corners or tries to park it...LOL! But it'll be so nice to have a truck with a backseat!

I've tried to learn to drive a stick, I really have...and I just could not do it without killing it. :(

skaterbabs

:whistle: Heh. I *can* drive a stick - but it would NOT be a pleasant experience for anyone in the vehicle. lol

I know enough that I can drive one in an emergency, but not enough to enjoy doing it.

scatterbunny

Okay, Mark is home from his friend's house and the friend got his 70-something old beater truck running again and doesn't want to buy ours, now. :(

So I just put ours up for sale on Craigslist, we'll see how it goes! Hopefully this is meant to be and we can sell ours ASAP and get this crew cab. Fingers crossed!

lynsgirl

Jenny, the 94 F350 that we had a couple of years ago as our only vehicle was a crew cab/long bed/dually and also a manual transmission :D . Large, yes. Very large ;). The back seat is HUGE, though! I honestly believe I could've fit 3 Regents, but didn't have a reason to and had a terrible time getting TAs (never did get them, long story). So yes, a big truck, but since I really do enjoy driving a stick shift, I didn't mind the size too much. I learned to park more at the end of parking lots, though, and just take up two (length-wise) spaces :p .

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I think it's a great idea and I would do it for safety alone.

As for driving the truck I promise you it's not that bad. Dh truck (Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab long bed desiel) was my everyday driver for 2yrs. Our's isn't a manual but dh sure thought about it at first until I knicked the idea. I can drive a manual with no issues as I drove nothing but manual vehicle before that. Just didn't want "my" everyday vehicle to be a manual esp with kids.

I agree you learn to park out which is better as you avoid door dings anyways. I do this anyways so that wasn't anything new for me. And, In some parking lots you will take up 2 spots.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Do it! That is about the size of my truck. The only think I have to be careful with is when I park in a parking lot, like at the mall. I don't fix length wise in a parking spot, so I find a spot that I can pull all the way through and use part of the spot behind me. I love the long bed though and the extra cab room. I won't let anyone sit in the middle front (lap belt) or the middle back.

scatterbunny

Well, I am cautiously optimistic. I emailed the seller and told him that the buyer for our truck is backing out, but that we are trying hard to sell it so we can buy his, and that I understand completely that he needs the money ASAP so if he sells it, no big deal.

He emailed back and said he's so tired of dealing with shady people on Craigslist and that we sound like a very up-front, honest family and he really wants to sell to us. So he's going to wait a bit to give us some time. :D

As long as I can get tether anchors installed, I think I'm going to figure out a harnessed option for the middle of the backseat for Hayley. Maybe break down and get that Madison Regent for my van, and put the Marina Husky in the truck? Maybe a Radian if I can allow myself to let her use it with shoulders over the top slots? Maybe a new Recaro if it really has 19" top slots? Maybe a Kid-Y harness and RideRyte booster?

Kellyr2

I'd do it!
And the only car I drove that wasn't a stick, was the drivers ed car, until I bought my van in 2001. I turned 15 in 95, so that was 6 yrs of stick driving.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC