Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Britax Frontier 85 SICT

So these are on preorder for $240 the original is $208 right now. I just sold my $45 prosport for $180 making $135 profit. My plan was to get the $208 FR85 making my added cost $28 and total for $73 For the FR85. But for $32 more dollars I could get the SICT still super cheap at $105!!! Since I'm getting an awesome deal anyways would you say it's worth the extra money?

I love love how the cover will come off easily, and since we often drive much older vehicles with retro fits the new tether rules could be helpful (but not totally necessary except in special circumstances).

This would be mostly for a spot not needing 3 across unless it is in the super huge van which can get 3 across easily even with a regent. I'm also assuming for our big car as long as the original fit 3 across with 2 RF radians, this seat should as well right? I'm guessing the cushions would prevent 3 across FF. Which is no big deal since DS1 should be totally booster trained before DS2 goes FF. DS1 is almost seven and only half trained, DS2 is 2.5 short and light and rides in a RN.

Yes I'm trying to talk myself into the SICT, yet my cheaps self is screaming save your $32! Hmmm I could sell my apex65 that has been collecting dust to make up the difference.
    Nicholas ~ 8yr 50lbs ~ FR85 SICT Harnessed
    ~ Kassandra 12/24-29/05 and Nevaeh 10/21/06 ~ Safe in heaven.
    Karsen ~ 4yr 35lbs ~ ERF in S4ME
    Hailey ~ 3yr 34lbs ~ ERF CA65LX

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Britax Frontier 85 SICT

I wouldn't get, no, because I don't have any benefit to one, so I'd be (and am) perfectly content with the FR85. I don't have a seatbelted or no-back boostered kid sitting in the center of a 3 across (or next-to-eachother 2 across, for that matter) and my vehicle has side curtain airbags covering all 3 rows.

If it had higher top slots or a cover/feature I couldn't live without, yeah, I might. But otherwise, no. I'd go with the "regular" one and save the dough for something else.

ETA: How in the world did you score a $45 PS?!
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

I ordered a $60 probooster at nobetterdeal and they sent me a prosport. I called to let them know of the mistake and they gave me a $15 credit back. I ordered a booster because we needed another seat for DS1 and I couldn't justify the little time he'd need it to pay for a harnessed seat. (he is half booster trained) but since I got the prosport at cheaper than booster price I figured well lets just use it. DS didn't like it much and I really didn't like the booster part at all. I thought about getting 2 boosters with the money but decided on a FR85 because I have younger kids that can use it later on if needed. Plus it makes a much taller booster than the others out there. I just noticed today the FR85 is coming out with the SICT version. So I've been considering it a little today.

We do alot of switching cars and kids around. DH buys fixes and sells used cars as his hobby. I do respite care and help families I know by carpooling shopping trips or to fun kid places. We live 45 minutes from anything!!

ohh I found a pink one original 85 for $180 basically making it $45 OOP and no extra cash down!! DS vetoed the pink.. but said he loved the seat and didn't think it looked like a babyseat (that's what he called the prosport) I wonder how much it would cost in shipping to swap covers if someone had one available in swap?
    Last edited by Katy; 06-04-2011 at 03:43 PM.

CPS Fanatic

Yeah, I preordered the SICT. Now I have a regular one that's brand new and I'll probably sell it. Ahhhh! My only complaint was the side impact protection seemed lacking. Don't know if these air pockets are an answer, but they ought to do something.

What is the new tether rule?
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy
    ohh I found a pink one original 85 for $180 basically making it $45 OOP and no extra cash down!! DS vetoed the pink.. but said he loved the seat and didn't think it looked like a babyseat (that's what he called the prosport) I wonder how much it would cost in shipping to swap covers if someone had one available in swap?
    Only $10 to ship. Which pink is it? The light pink?

CPS Fanatic

I'd get the SICT so I could get the cardinal cover. I'm not convinced its safer.

Like the Advocate, I believe it is almost certainly safer in some types of crashes. The question is what percentage of crashes the side impact cushions would provide an increase in safety and also whether or not that increased protection is significant or not. I don't know that we'll ever have an answer for that, beyond anything Britax provides from their own testing.

I also asked the product team if they had tested it for increased protection in booster mode and they claim it affords similar improvements as a booster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica61624 View Post
    Only $10 to ship. Which pink is it? The light pink?
    pink sky

Quote Originally Posted by bnsnyde View Post
    Yeah, I preordered the SICT. Now I have a regular one that's brand new and I'll probably sell it. Ahhhh! My only complaint was the side impact protection seemed lacking. Don't know if these air pockets are an answer, but they ought to do something.

What is the new tether rule?
    From the blog http://carseatblog.com/10287/britax-...sict-unboxing/

the Frontier 85 SICT is permitted to be used without a top tether to its weight limit. This allows for greater vehicle compatibility, as some vehicles may prohibit top tether use beyond a certain weight. Of course, Britax ALWAYS recommends that the top-tether be used whenever possible, according to the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by babyherder View Post
    I'd get the SICT so I could get the cardinal cover. I'm not convinced its safer.
    Besides easy off cover, what is it that you like better about it, the color or the material?

Quote Originally Posted by CPSDarren View Post
    Like the Advocate, I believe it is almost certainly safer in some types of crashes. The question is what percentage of crashes the side impact cushions would provide an increase in safety and also whether or not that increased protection is significant or not. I don't know that we'll ever have an answer for that, beyond anything Britax provides from their own testing.

I also asked the product team if they had tested it for increased protection in booster mode and they claim it affords similar improvements as a booster as well.
    Yeah I kind of figured that, the SIP seemed like a no hurt possible plus, certainly not a deciding factor of the seat. But I could see how it could be for some people. I do like the possibility for us since we drive older model cars, but if is not clear on that it wouldn't be a main deciding factor for me.

I really like the easy off cover, but that's connivance. Are you familiar with this one? What is the fabric like? Is it comparable to of the reg 85's?

The tether thing I think is the biggest plus for us, I'd like to look a bit more into the old 85 rules verse the new 85 rules to be clearer on what this means. I could never afford a FR85, but always wanted one. So I still have lots to learn about both the seats, especially since I just learned of the SICT. I'm getting a great deal on either one but I still like to be very frugal with my money, so I'm trying to decide if the difference in price is worth it for us.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Besides easy off cover, what is it that you like better about it, the color or the material?
    I just like the color. I wasn't even aware of differences in getting the cover on and off. I don't need a frontier so this is all hypothetical for me. Red's my favorite color and I have been trying to get a red seat since I started collecting and this cover stood out as a really nice color.

CPS Fanatic

I don't doubt that it might be safer. And I don't think the cushions make the seat any less safe. I'm just not convinced its safer enough to pay for. I keep hoping someday we will have more information.

Anyone know what fabric types each of the colors are? I don't really want anything mesh, which from the looks of it the cardinal is not. How about the others? I like plushy but would be willing to do something the cleans up nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Anyone know what fabric types each of the colors are? I don't really want anything mesh, which from the looks of it the cardinal is not. How about the others? I like plushy but would be willing to do something the cleans up nice.
    My understanding is that none of the new F85 SICT covers had mesh and that all were the smooth fabric down the middle, with soft, microfiber type sides and trim like the Cardinal I have.

Thankyou. I guess I'm preordering the new one. If all else fails I'm sure someone would trade a SICT for a basic, but I'm sure I'll be happy with it! I was telling talking to a few friends that have never used a britax seat and they are in love! None of the had really like my regent, they all ended up with the XTSL after I got my 2. One is going to order the SICT for sure because she has two non boostered kids next to a FF one. She really likes the SICT on the sides for the nonboostered kids. I Really had hoped amazon would list the cardinal, but I'm worried if I wait the prices will rise and I won't be able to afford the seat.

You can always pre-order and cancel before shipping, and there's free returns at Amazon, too, so almost no risk. Be sure to use our forum link;-)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Frontier-SICT-Booster-Seat/dp/B004Z4U1QU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1307376157&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Britax Frontier 85 SICT Booster Seat, Onyx: Baby[/ame]

You can always pre-order and cancel before shipping, and there's free returns at Amazon, too, so almost no risk. Be sure to use our forum link;-)

Amazon.com: Britax Frontier 85 SICT Booster Seat, Onyx: Baby
    I just preorded through amazon, that was the best price I could find. I totally forgot to use the link Thanks!, I'll cancel and use the link!

Actually, Albee Baby has all the SICT colors for $240 and I think they have them all in stock because I don't see anything on there about it being a pre-order.

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)