garage sale shield booster

KaiLing

Ah, garage sales. Today I saw two expiration dates of 2011 (both infant seets, both Graco I think) and one of those Cosco shield booster thingies (I'm too much of a newbie here to know what they're called). It had 93 stamped on the bottom. I told the people at the sales about the quickly approaching expiration dates, and laughed at the booster with the guy sitting there (he used the phrase "internal injuries" all by himself), but do y'all think I should go back tomorrow and pick it up? If you good people think there's a chance it's going to be used, I'll go and buy it. But it was just so insanely different from what we have now that I left it... and now I'm wondering if I could do the world a service by killing it once and for all. Thoughts?

ADS

CarSeatSafetyMom

CPST Instructor
Well, it sounds like you were trying to be proactive by telling them they were expired! :) However, that doesn't stop them from selling them to some unsuspecting person (that doesn't know car seats expire). :(

I would try to go back, if they still have them...educate (bring info with you) and see if they are willing to let you have them to destroy them properly or use for educational purposes (if you can store them). The shield booster is a Great example of an old seat!!

Just my :twocents:

KaiLing

Yeah, OK, I think I should go back for the booster (let's hope it's there, or I'm going to feel terrible). Maybe I'll take it to my class next week and cement my reputation as the most annoying student ever. ("Hi! I'm taking this for fun! And I downloaded the manual!")

I wasn't so keen on trying to destroy seats that had until December, if they'd been already expired I might have made more of an effort to walk off with them. The one lady I talked to totally understood what I was talking about, though who knows if she'll tell someone. Sigh. I hope my new car seat obsession hasn't ruined garage sales forever.

KaiLing

I am now the proud owner of a shield booster. And I scared a poor 10 year old who was left at the garage sale but not empowered to do anything other than call his mom for prices ($8 for a 2005 Cosco convertible). I involuntarily scoffed at $8 and told him it was unsafe and that I was leaving a flier. "Thanks," he said meekly. I think I traumatised the poor kid. I need to work on my form. Live and learn.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC