mazda 5

broken4u05

Hey can anyone tell me something about the mazda 5? Do you like it? What kind of gas mileage do you get? How does it drive? Well really anything about it good or bad. I am thinking about getting it because i am now going to have 4 godchildren so i will need something bigger. I have been wanting something bigger anyway so this is just kinda a push for me. So anything will help me

ADS

Paperdragon

Hi,

I don't know anything about it either, except we've been looking at it as well and I can't seem to find a thing about it's crash test record for either 2007 or 2006. Does anyone know what's up with that?

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Hey can anyone tell me something about the mazda 5? Do you like it? What kind of gas mileage do you get? How does it drive?

I love ours. LOVE it. It drives very sporty--it's low to the ground and wide, but not too wide. I think we get about 22-24 miles per gallon. Lots of storage space. Seats are easy to flip and stow. Sliding doors are great for getting kids in and out of carseats.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Hi,

I don't know anything about it either, except we've been looking at it as well and I can't seem to find a thing about it's crash test record for either 2007 or 2006. Does anyone know what's up with that?

The US tests aren't out yet or haven't been done yet. However, the European test results are out and they were very good. They're published online somewhere if you want to search.

broken4u05

ok because you have one i am going to ask if you think it will fit my life. or if you think i should get something else (here is a little about my life)
I am 20 so still very much young and like to go out and i do not really think i am ready for a minivan yet
I am a full time student and have all my books in the car and because i take night classes after working all day i like live in my car
I am a nanny for twins/ They are now 18 months and i have seats in my car for them. Because of them i have a diaper bag, snacks, double stroller and a few other things in my car for me
I have 3 soon to be 4 godchildren (the reason for something bigger than my car) And i have seats for all of them. the younger 2 share seats with the twins because they are never in the car at the same time.
I do not want any of the kids in the fount if i can help it so i want something bigger.
Yes i want kids at some point so i was thinking about getting something bigger but because i am single i so not see kids comeing before 4 years or more.
So i know that is a lot but what do you think? can i get 4 seats in the back (FF BV, RF MA, FF radian or regent, and safeseat) with the double stroller and my books?
O and if you have other ideas for cars/vans keep in mind i am a student and need something cheaper

southpawboston

we test drove one before we bought our 3, and i also had one as a loaner for a weekend.

here were my impressions:

sporty, actually fun to drive. mechanically, it is the same as the 3, just a bit softer riding. it's only 5 inches longer than the 3, so it can still park incredibly easily.

all four seats in rows 2 and 3 have top tethers, but IIRC, LATCH was only on the second row? maybe i'm wrong on that. and to echo what namegirl said, yes it is very easy to flip the 3rd row seats up and down.

if you have carseats installed in all four seats (3rd row up), a double stroller may be a tight fit back there. depends on the stroller. our maclaren double fits, i tested that, but something like a tandem might not.

with the 3rd row down, the space is huge. it doesn't look like it from the outside, but it is. you can also have one third row seat up and one down if you have three carseats, this still gives you a lot of storage space.

fuel economy is not terrific given that it is only a 4-cylinder, but it's still better than any of the six-cylinder large vans out there. still, it could be better, all things considered.

neither NHTSA nor IIHS has tested it in the US, but euroNCAP gave it its top ranking of 5 stars, as did japNCAP, the japanese govt crash testing agency. it does come with front side impact airbags and side curtain airbags for all three rows standard, but it does not come with stability control, not even as an option.

it's a pretty good deal at about $18k base price, and it's probably the only 6 passenger vehicle you will find with all its features for that price. for $20-21k you can get a nice option package which adds climate control, sunroof, and a bunch of other goodies.

broken4u05

I have the phil and teds. I think it is smaller than any double stroller i have had. And unless my godson grows up a lot i need him harnessed still so i would need a seat in all 4 spots. If he grows up he can be in a booster that i can take out at times but i do not think that is going to happen soon. And i like LATCH but i am also fine with seatbelts and the tethers are good. Thank you so much for your help. I think i am going to go look at it. I am first going to start really cleaning my car and than putting aawy some money each week and than talk to my mom about it. She will not be happy. Random question now that i am thinking about it. what do you think i can get for an 04 toyota corolla if i sell it?

southpawboston

go to kbb.com. you can appraise your car with their appraisal tool. they will give you dealer trade-in value as well as private sale value. it's largely based on the car, year, mileage, condition, and location (zipcode).

broken4u05

Thank you again. I had forgot about that. Well my dad just saw me looking at cars and all he said was the next one is on me(they bought me the car) so i am thinking i might get it. I will save money for a while and than think about it again. I am like really happy. I was worried i would not be able to take all my godchildren out and have to tell one of them no about coming with me. Thanks for all your help but anything else you think of please tell me. But unless someone else thinks of something to work for my life i think i will be going with the mazda 5

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
I'm not positive about fitting a double stroller behind the 3rd row--I've never tried it myself, so I can't say for sure. The 3rd row does flip down independantly, so you can have 3 seats up and 1 down to fit something bigger if needed.

LATCH lower anchors are only in the 2nd row, but all 4 seats have tether anchors.

I guess it would work for you! Cars are a personal thing, so I can't say for sure. Maybe you could test drive one? I just know that I LOVE mine.

lacondora

Can I piggyback on this question and add a question of my own about the Mazda 5?

We are going to have our second child in late July, and I'm looking for something with a lot of legroom. My husband is 6'2" and about 265 pounds, so he needs to put the seat all the way back and probably leaning back some. I realize we'd have to go look at it, but is there any way a car seat (probably the RFing one) would fit behind his seat?

We like the extra seating available in this model, but we need a lot of legroom and don't want to go with a minivan or big SUV at this point.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Kia Rondo? That one looks interesting to me too.

Thanks!
Karin

southpawboston

Can I piggyback on this question and add a question of my own about the Mazda 5?

We are going to have our second child in late July, and I'm looking for something with a lot of legroom. My husband is 6'2" and about 265 pounds, so he needs to put the seat all the way back and probably leaning back some. I realize we'd have to go look at it, but is there any way a car seat (probably the RFing one) would fit behind his seat?

We like the extra seating available in this model, but we need a lot of legroom and don't want to go with a minivan or big SUV at this point.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Kia Rondo? That one looks interesting to me too.

Thanks!
Karin

re: the mazda5, there is plenty of room for a RFing seat behind either front seats (the second row seats slide fore/aft), but we were a little disappointed at the lack of overall legfroom for front passengers. i'm only 6'1", and i had the front seats all the way back on the seat tracks. i think they sacrificed some front legroom to fit all three rows in such a short vehicle.

re: the rondo, yes, that sounds intriguing. i've only seen pics of it, haven't seen one IRL. it should compete squarely with the 5.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member

I have a Marathon rearfacing and tethered behind the driver's seat and the driver's seat is all the way back on the track as far as it can go. The 2nd row of seats are also on tracks and can be slid all the way back. No problem for us!

ajweeks

I test drove the Rondo when I was looking at the Sedona. Was not impressed. Looks nice, but drives mediocre. There is no LATCH or tethers for the 3rd row and it is pretty small and not really meant for adults. There is not much room behind the 3rd row at all for cargo when it is in use.

all together ooky

Also check www.edmunds.com I found that more accurate than Kelly blue book.
I test drove the Mazda 5 and totally loved it. I think it would be a great vehicle for your needs. Actually fun to drive, very agile. And the sliding doors are a plus. I want DH to get one in a couple years when his Alero dies.

solmama

I have a friend who owns a Mazda 5. She and her SO researched extensively before purchase. After 400 miles, the transmission went. The dealership fixed it, under warranty of course. The transmission still isn't quite right...about 1 minute after she starts it, the rpm's surge and then drop back down. On another note, I have known 3 people, myself included, who have owned Mazda Protege's. None were good cars, and all needed frequent, expensive repairs once the warranty ran out. Ugh! I know you're looking for a car with a 3rd row that isn't a minivan. Ford has one out...the name escapes me though and I don't know about reliability on it. The Honda Pilot, Toyota (can't think of name). If you're looking for reliability and resale value, Honda and Toyota are tops. Otherwise, go with what you like best and best fits your lifestyle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC