Friend insists that FF is safer for 10 month old

Hello Everyone!

A friend of mine came to visit today...when I popped my head into their car I saw a 10 month old baby forward facing in what appeared to be an Orbit G2 (unless there are other 360 rotating infant seats I don't know about). Are you even supposed to use an infant seat that way?!

When I told them that the baby should be rear-facing they said that he is too big, and his feet touch the back of the seat. Which is a typical response. I don't want to argue with my friend and his wife so I thought that I should keep my thoughts to myself, until I realized that as a friend I should probably send a short, to the point email that would hopefully not be offensive. I mean we are talking about the safety of an infant here.

I have to keep in mind that they are also not research savvy...and tend to let ego play a LARGE role in things. I wanted to specifically address their leg room issue, but many of the YouTube videos showing children with their legs against the seat are too long and involved for them to pay attention to.

I thought a video would be best, and maybe this AAP link:

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/carseat2011.htm

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to inform them without offending them?

Anyone know of any video that would be impactful, strictly informative, and showing children with their legs against the seat? This is just disturbing.

Thank You :)

ADS

DahliaRW

Also, if her seat doesn't allow ffing that could be a big convincer (as in, that seat isn't safe installed ffing. It's not safe to ff a 10mo, but if you're going to do it anyways, you need to get a seat that it meant to be used ffing).

Kat_Momof3

her infant seat is absolutely not allowed to be forward facing when traveling.

the purpose of the rotating base is to allow you to turn a rearfacing seat to more easily adjust the straps and load/unload baby/seat.

in fact, with the orbit toddler seat, you can only use the base when it is rearfacing, too... when you install the seat forward facing, you have to attach "braces" (think like feet) and install it without the rotating base.

I would advise her to contact orbit because they will back up all of this... as well as showing her the info that others have mentioned.

I mean, if they are determined to forward face, they should not be doing it with a seat that is only for rearfacing... and obviously the child doesn't yet meat the minimums for ANY forward facing seat...

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I like this one from the carseatlady:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULJ8Vx79Vv4"]YouTube - ‪American Academy of Pediatrics Publishes New Car Seat Recommendations‬‏[/ame]

I never, ever, ever share Joel's or Kyle's or Belle's or any of those videos. Those are not facts. They are created to elicit an emotional response and I don't think they truly educate parents, just scare them.

NatesMamma

I never, ever, ever share Joel's or Kyle's or Belle's or any of those videos. Those are not facts. They are created to elicit an emotional response and I don't think they truly educate parents, just scare them.

First of all, that video was excellent! I hadn't seen that one before, but I just re-posted it to my playgroups' message boards. (Yeah, they're pretty sick of me by now! :eek:)

You know, I like to give out straight-up facts, too. However, after I post non-emotional, factual links, I always add either Joel's or Belle's pages with a little note about it being an emotional appeal. Honestly, I think many people are more likely to change how they're doing things if they watch one of the more emotional videos. Facts and physics are one thing, but so many folks have the mindset that it *can't* happen to me. I think viewing an emotional video we're really able to put ourselves in those grieving parents' shoes and realize that it *can* happen to anyone.

CTPDMom, I CANNOT thank you enough for that video it is absolutely PERFECT, and I love that is all I have to show--I hate having to bombard people with multiple sources when they are already losing patience!

I am thrilled :love:!

I might add one mild emotional video, I agree with you NatesMama that many times people have the "well-that-cannot-happen-to-me-attitude."

Excellent! Thank you everyone :love:

shanelg09

I am new here, been lurking for awhile, I just registered today as Shanelg09 so hopefully it lets me post :)

My friend put her child in a booster at 3 years old and 30 lbs...its so sad to know he could still be rear facing let alone in a booster. He was ff probably at age 1 or less.

Then my other friend has her 18 mo ff and is shopping for a booster.

The frustration is astronomical and if you try to explain to them ERF they say "absolutely not, his legs would get smashed."

Grrr.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
CTPDMom, I CANNOT thank you enough for that video it is absolutely PERFECT, and I love that is all I have to show--I hate having to bombard people with multiple sources when they are already losing patience!

You're welcome! :)

The frustration is astronomical and if you try to explain to them ERF they say "absolutely not, his legs would get smashed."

Grrr.

Yup, it is! So pace yourself, and learn to educate respectfully and then LET GO. That is THE hardest part, the letting go. But it must be learned or you will go crazy. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC