spot wash or replace straps?

Michi

This week Annabelle cut her mouth while riding in her Advantage...(nothing serious, but she was crying and drooling blood...):rolleyes:

So now the straps have blood stains on them. I have tried wiping them with a damp washcloth, and it didn't do a whole lot of good, the majority of the stains are still there.

This is just our 'spare seat' her main seat is the MA.... so should I :
1. try a little bit of baby soap on the wash cloth
2. just 'live with' the stains
3. replace the whole harness?
(The seat is due to expire next year, and it's a discontinued seat so the replacement harnesses are rather expensive ... if they still have any.)

ADS

mommycat

I am no expert, but I think I would just live with the stains. So long as it's a stain and not making the belts feel stiffer/different. If you have access to some good quality microfibre cleaning cloths, you could try that - I used a slightly damp Norwex cloth to clean (approx) 5-day old cat puke out of my carpet, and it wiped out completely in less than 2 minutes - I was amazed!

southpawboston

if the seat expires in a year, then i would just live with the stains. on the other hand, if that doesn't appeal, you can use detergent on it. the soap does not weaken the fibers or compromise the safety of the straps; the only negative impact it may have is that it *may* remove the fire retardent chemicals that the straps are treated with.

I honestly don't understand the recommendation to spot-wash only. :confused:
If the child spits out a cookie, sure, spot-wash it. But to have the harness puked on, perpetually drooled on, bled on, etc. and only surface-wash it, seems more likely to degrade the webbing over time than to give it a thorough but gentle full washing. Think of all of the bacteria at work in there! I *know* the mfrs. have their own liability-based reasons for recommending spot-washing only, but this is one instance where I personally disagree. :twocents: :whistle:

Feel free to enlighten me further... ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I honestly don't understand the recommendation to spot-wash only. :confused:
If the child spits out a cookie, sure, spot-wash it. But to have the harness puked on, perpetually drooled on, bled on, etc. and only surface-wash it, seems more likely to degrade the webbing over time than to give it a thorough but gentle full washing. Think of all of the bacteria at work in there! I *know* the mfrs. have their own liability-based reasons for recommending spot-washing only, but this is one instance where I personally disagree. :twocents: :whistle:

Feel free to enlighten me further... ;)

Yeah, I'm with you, it's stupid. They have to adhere to the anti-flammability standard, and we *might* wash our straps with something that reduces it, so they have to tell us NOT to do it. They are covering their butts, is all. Easier to give people a black and white law than anything with shades of gray...if they tell us wipe with a damp cloth or replace, then it saves them time and lawyers over if they told us use woolite, but not clorox, tide, but not muriatic acid, etc etc etc....

mommycat

Maybe they are also trying to avoid people throwing their starps into the machine, where the motion could damage the straps? (or your machine, if it got wrapped up in the thingy-dingy in the middle - agitator? - and burns out the motor -- someone I work with lost their washing machine because they put an underwire bra in it and it wrapped around and actually cut into the agitator).

I haven't machine-washed my current straps for the two seats I have pictured, but have done so in the past. The two or three times I have, was on gentle cycle, with the straps secured in a zippered net-bag. Baking soda and water only, no detergent, no fabric softener, air-dry. No damage to the machine OR the straps that way.

mommycat

I haven't machine-washed my current straps for the two seats I have pictured, but have done so in the past. The two or three times I have, was on gentle cycle, with the straps secured in a zippered net-bag. Baking soda and water only, no detergent, no fabric softener, air-dry. No damage to the machine OR the straps that way.

That's a good idea. I need to get one of those bags for some of my delicate/tangly laundry items!

Michi

Well...I used a wet washcloth (vs. damp) with a little bit of Johnson & Johnson's Baby Wash and scrubbed a little harder on just the part where the blood was, and I was able to get some of the blood out. I just don't feel comfortable/safe doing anything more. I'll just live with what's left for the next year....( unless something else happens and they get even more grungy!):rolleyes:

Last edited:

Connor's Mom

You could try a little peroxide on a Q-Tip or wash cloth to spot clean it and that should take it out farely easily, a little nurses trick. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Ok, going OT...your car looks a lot like mine, lol... I have a coastal blue radian, an Express Parkway (from your picture it kinda looks like that...), and a Woodstock Parkway...sometimes all in the same car at the same time, lol.

I guess I have so many seats, my car kind of looks like everyones, though :D

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I am no expert, but I think I would just live with the stains. So long as it's a stain and not making the belts feel stiffer/different. If you have access to some good quality microfibre cleaning cloths, you could try that - I used a slightly damp Norwex cloth to clean (approx) 5-day old cat puke out of my carpet, and it wiped out completely in less than 2 minutes - I was amazed!
Yes this is what I use as well! It works great and I love it :love: I also like them in the house, when you wipe the table or anything for that matter it doesn't smear it all over.

I gave my dad a cloth to use when he had a pen leak ink all over his brand new truck seat. With the Norwex cloth and water he as able to wipe the stain out just using water after it had been there for months and nothing else worked!

Jewels

Senior Community Member
where can you get Norwex cloths? I've never heard of them.
They were invented in Norway and now are distrubted in Manitoba, Canada. It is cleaning with cloths and water not chemicals. The enviro cloth is 14x14" and if you were to unravel it would make the distance from Winnipeg to Vancouver (sorry I know you are in the US and I don't know the exact distance but it does take us about 26hrs to drove from Winnipeg to Vancouver). What makes the cloth work well is the tight weave of the microfibre that grabs particles and locks them in the cloth and doesn't smear them all over like a coton cloth would do.

I am actually a consultant but only so that I can purchase the products myself and not have to go through a consultant everytime. Usually they are home parties, I dodn't ever do parties but do sometimes order for friends and sometimes there are booths set up in the mall for them. The cloths are $12.50 US each. With these products you just use water and not chemicals, this is why I have started to use them as I don't want my ds exposed to harmful chemicals

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Here is some more info on it from the Norwex site

About Norwex Microfiber

Why Choose Norwex

Welcome to the world of Microfiber! You are about to learn about the vast possibilities we have in producing a tailor made microfiber product range that suits your needs exactly.

Cleaning with microfiber is tomorrow's cleaning system, and it's here today. It is:

Environmentally Friendly
Improves the indoor environment by achieving a cleaner result
Very cost efficient through high quality long lasting products
Loved by the cleaner due to easy cleaning and the ergometric friendliness of the system.
We have been in the business of marketing microfiber since 1994 - which means that we have extensive marketing experience in the comparatively young business. We know the customers' needs because we have the product knowledge that is based on the needs of the marketplace.
What are the benefits of Microfibre cleaning?

Microfibre cloths are environmentally friendly. They can reduce the consumption of cleaning chemicals in your home up to 90% while at the same time cutting down your exposure to toxic fumes. This can make a big difference for anyone with allergies and chemical sensitivities. In important areas of our home like bathrooms and kitchens, microfibre cloths remove 99% of the bacteria from surfaces, resulting in a cleaner, healthier environment. Microfiber cloths are very durable. They are widely used in commercial cleaning environments and can withstand the rigors of everyday usage.

Tara

Oh Michelle...if only you could see the straps on my soon to expire RA LOL
I have baby wiped them and maybe a time or two done the damp cloth with baby wash kind of thing. But for the most part..I just live with the stains. And boy can you tell it now LOL

But if your seat is soon to go..shoot..just live with it. Unless you're a clean freak and can't handle that. I, obviously, am not LOL I like clean and all, but, I'm not OC about it, not by a long shot. So, I just live with the 'mess' ;)

Not to burst the Norwex bubble or anything :eek: , but for those on a tight budget, you can get the same type of microfiber cleaning cloths for $1 each at Wal-mart, Target, or just about any dollar store. When I first started hearing about microfiber stuff a few years back, I bought a few expensive, dense-weave cloths. Then, discovered they make GREAT pocket diaper stuffers!!! :love: I bought a few more (expensive ones) for that purpose from an online diaper store. A while later, needing more, I picked up a couple dozen at a local dollar store-- I might have cleaned them out! I've used them for about 3-4 yrs. now, alongside the more expensive ones. Both for diapering, and now for multi-purpose cleaning. They all work pretty much the same, regarding absorbancy, wear & tear, staining, dust pickup, streak-free window washing, etc. Dh used some today to clean his motorcycle to a glossy shine, without wax. :D

tjham

I wouldn't go so far as to wash the straps in the machine (eek!) and wouldn't peroxide damage the fibers?

But sometimes spot cleaning just doesn't cut it! I have washed them thoroughly in warm water and gentle soap, rinsed with clean water and air dried. I called Britax and was told it was OK to use mild dish or hand soap like Ivory, Dove, etc.

I have some microfiber cloths and can barely stand to touch them! I guess my hands are a tad rough sometimes and the microfiber makes my skin crawl. I want to like them, I really do!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC