Shield boosters

bnsnyde

I've been reading about Kiddy World Plus. Is this a booster for older kids that uses seat belt and shield (um, how is that safe)? Maybe I am not seeing this right. I can't tell from the Kiddy World website if there is just a FF carseat for toddlers, or what. Since we can RF so long, I guess we would not need a FF seat.

Oh, and this is very bad...Reminds me of when I was 12 (yep) and bought one of those toddler boosters, and rode in it in the backseat of grandpa's car for fun. That's when my cousins and I often rode in the bed of the pickup truck (sitting on tools), or up front in the cab. His car had a windshield crack where one grandchild's head hit the windshield, supposedly. I at least wore a lap belt but he never did and probably didn't require it. But I came home from the hospital on my mom's lap in the front seat in 1980. Gee, times have changed.

ADS

mykidsmylife

These are very very safe and very different from the old shield boosters from America. In Europe they face forward at 9m and 10kg. These seats allow the neck to move forward more with the seat and do not hold the body back by a harness. There are a lot of threads on it. Just search Kiddy or Cybex Pallas.
I almost bought my son the Cybex Pallas shield booster.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Last I heard, Kiddy was trying to get the shield approved for use over 40 lbs. The way these shields differ from the old ones we had here is that the Kiddy shield (or Cybex or any other company that sells them in Europe) is in contact with the child's body the entire time the child is in the seat. Since the child is in contact with the shield they cannot impact it, it moves with them in a crash. One of the things that made the old shield booster so dangerous is that the child would impact the shield in an accident and it would cause internal injuries. The old shield was just a bar at the waist, the Kiddy shield supports the child's body from hips to sternum providing a large area to distribute crash forces across and away from the child.

Kat_Momof3

also, the sheilds are made entirely of eps/epp foam.... which absorbs forces... the old ones were plastic.

also, because it holds the body, not the legs, kids won't submarine out from under them, like they did with the old shield boosters.

bnsnyde

Cybex Pallas? I wanted a shield booster, yes, but can't find them for sale in the US. I bought a regular Cybex to have on hand for $99.
But if the shields only go to 40 lbs. then for us we wouldn't use them anyway, as the kids will be over that when in boosters.

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

would this be a similar design to the lap-top that britax used to make?

exactly... except the laptop was ALL sheild... no booster... but the same concept applies... but the laptop is also what makes me think that they can get it approved to a higher limit than 40lbs... since the laptop went to 65lbs.

Cybex Pallas? I wanted a shield booster, yes, but can't find them for sale in the US. I bought a regular Cybex to have on hand for $99.
But if the shields only go to 40 lbs. then for us we wouldn't use them anyway, as the kids will be over that when in boosters.

the pallas only goes to 40lbs... after that, it has to be removed and only the booster used.

my mom had two of the laptops for my sister and brother who are in their teens now they were great in our older van with no shoulder belts but sadly britax had to stop making them and the two we had got eaten by rats

yes it was really gross the van was parked out by a storage shed and we had several rats get in it and basically destroy everything in it 5 carseats the seats the seat belts the carpet we filed a insurance claim and got a different van and Fisher price futura 20/60 car seats for all 6 kids

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC