Sketchy advise from childrens hospital

opheliajoy

Forgive me if this has been posted before!

"Children over 1yr old and more than 20lbs ride in the backseat facing forward...children should remain in the back seat facing forward until....."

You have GOT to be kidding me! A "renown" children's hospital hands these things out . It really leaves patents feeling that the "right" thing to do is to turn a 1 yr old child!!! Grrr!

http://www.childrensmercy.org/Content/uploadedFiles/Car Seat Program brochure.pdf

ADS

Pixels

That's not the only problem I see in that brochure.

Can you contact them, and offer to help them update it with the "new" recommendations from the AAP and NHTSA?

opheliajoy

wendytthomas said:
That looks to be about eight years old.

Wendy

Hmm.. Thanks, Wendy. Maybe I'll see if it's something they have since updated. Maybe they are unaware it is still up being used?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hmm.. Thanks, Wendy. Maybe I'll see if it's something they have since updated. Maybe they are unaware it is still up being used?

It's possible. But LATCH was new back then (you can see the September 1, 2002 date for it), 30 pounds was a BIG rear facing seat, and seats went to 40 pounds harnessed, basically. The Marathon came out in 2002 and started to change that, and Fisher Price had had one seat that went to 60 pounds harnessed, but I don't think it was as common. If they didn't have the September 1, 2002 date on there I would have said it was a year or two earlier than that. But maybe 2002/2003.

Wendy

my mom has 4 of those Fisher price seats they were extremely hard to find at the time she got them but very nice sturdy seats that were worth every penny we had to order them online as no stores stocked them

Mysweethoneybee

That is the same thing my son's doctor gives out. I asked him about the new regulations and if I brought in new papers would he give those out instead. He said that he had talked to other area pediatricians and they agreed that after 1 year kids really needed the socialization of forward facing. I told him that my son was going to be harnessed until hopefully 5 years old at least. He looked at my son (who is a half giant age 3) and said "he is a big kid he would be fine in a backless booster seat." I am hoping it is just a Missouri thing and that doctors will soon be won over to the safer side.

bnsnyde

Well, I just called Evenflo about limits for ERF in their seats and they totally didn't understand. They said I could just FF my daughter once she was 1 and 20 lbs.

We have an inch to grow before we need to make a decision anyway. :)

And the Evenflos will work, seems like. They will buy enough time before we'd switch to her Radian RF, totally changing the configuration of our van with that huge seat. So it's worth it to me to get the Evenflo for my sanity and to ERF. And it gives the toddler time to outgrow his "have a fit in the car" stage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC