Need advice on traveling with old seat vs new

LindaSFO

We're about to take a trip overseas. We don't have seats on the plane purchased for our baby but it looks like there is lots of room on our flights, so we're bringing the car seat and hoping to get lucky. We will also need the car seat during the trip, not much, but for one weekend road trip for sure.

My daughter is one year old, about 21 pounds and about 30 inches. We have a Chicco KeyFit 30 and I just purchased a Britax Boulevard.

My husband thinks that she is still ok in the KeyFit and wants to bring it, not the new Britax, on our trip. He is concerned about hauling the new seat around along with all our luggage, and whether it will fit properly in the aircraft and if we will have problems with the flight attendants about it. We traveled before with the KeyFit and got a lot of flak about it from cabin crews. I will contact the airline (US Airways) for guidance on that point.

I believe that our daughter has outgrown the KeyFit and it's time to retire it. I'm concerned that using the KeyFit any longer presents a safety issue.

What do you think? Can you cite any sources about the safety issue?

ADS

T4K

She's under the weight limit...have you put her in it recently? She has outgrown it by height when her head is less than an inch from the top of the shell.

If she fits, I would take the KF, much lighter and will be more easily installed on plane.

But you are right, if she's outgrown it, she's outgrown it. No longer safe. Never fear, there are ways that you can schlep around a BV through an airport without it being too cumbersom. OR you can pick up a $40 Scenera (much lighter and smaller) and schlep that around ;-)

jjordan

If she has outgrown the keyfit then you definitely shouldn't use it. However she is well within the weight limit, so unless she's outgrown it by height, it should be fine. When she is buckled up in the seat, how much room is above her head (measuring perpendicular to the shell) before you get to the top of the shell? If you could post a picture then we can help weigh in on whether or not she has growing room, height-wise. (She needs at least 1" of space above her head in order to fit in the seat properly.)

As for the airline, if the flight is actually USAir and not just a code share, then they have to follow FAA regulations, which is to say that they need to accomodate your car seat IF you've purchased a ticket for your daughter. However without having a ticket for her, most airlines will let you use an extra seat, but not all. Regulations and practices for overseas airlines vary quite a bit, so if a flight is operated by a foreign airline then all bets are off.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC