leaving the hospital in a CCO?

mayamac

Has anyone taken their baby home in a convertible? Does the hospital want to see the baby in it? Would you carry the CCO in? I was not planning to get the stroller frame to go with it. thanks

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Despite hospital "policy," they can't refuse to release you/the baby. Tell them if they want to see the seat they're welcome to walk down to the car. No way would I uninstall a convertible to please them (not even an "easy" one like the Coccoro).

MommaKellie

Yes, I have. It was nice to hold her in my arms down to the car in the wheel chair. My good friend was my nurse, but she had to check the seat anyway. The nurse will walk you to the car regardless of the car seat you have, so it really doesn't matter which seat you have.

Man, I wish it was that way for men when I had DS. They refused to walk down to my car w/ my DH & I. Luckily a friend was with me when I had my Scenera installed so he knew how to install it & he was with us when DS & I were realeased. So he got the seat out of the car, brought it up for me & then reinstalled for me (I had a c-section).

So my advice, double check your hospitals policy & then stand your ground on making them come down w/ you or your DH to see your seat.

Pixels

They cannot hold you against your wishes. That would be kidnapping or false imprisonment. You can offer to let them go down to the car with you. If they won't, just shrug your shoulders and leave.

No way would I uninstall a convertible just to take it into the hospital.

luckyclov

They can't hold you hostage, as much as they'd like to think they can.:rolleyes:

And, no, I wouldn't uninstall a convertible just to fancy their arses. Take a picture of it installed in your vehicle and show them the manual or have them accompany you to your vehicle (actually, in most hospitals, I believe a staff member, usually a nurse, has walk you down upon d/c, anyways). ;)

jubgulia

We did. And there was no problem. I think maybe they looked to make sure there was a carseat in the car and that was it.

Spam

Every hospital is different, so just check with yours. No they can't make you stay just because you don't want to uninstall it and show it to them. Where I had A, they didn't check his seat and didn't seem to care if I had one or not, although they have changed since. My sis had my niece there nine months later and she had to bring in her scenera to show them (I wouldn't have, they could have walked down if they wanted to see it) and they don't walk you out on d/c either. Where I had Tucker, the nurse wanted to see it and make sure it didn't have any recalls and that it wasn't expired. I like to play with newbs in seats, so I'd take the cco in just to see the fit on baby before putting it in the car. The cco is easy to install in our vehciles so I wouldn't have a problem doing it or directing dh on how to do it.

lpperry

I took my second baby home in a Coccoro. I just told them that I used a rearfacing convertible from birth and did not use a bucket seat to bring up. The nurse didn't give me any trouble at all and I held Claudia in my lap in the wheelchair on the way down to the car. The person who walked me out peeked in the car to make sure we had a seat and then left. They didn't make sure the baby fit or anything.

I got a coccoro to use in my parent's car as well, and I installed that in the back of our van. I figured if they really needed to see the seat, my husband could go get that seat, but then we could drive home with the baby in the other installed Coccoro! It took a lot of time to figure out the 45 recline for an infant--there was no way I was going to let my husband uninstall my hard work!

Emi's Mommy

We took Emi home in a convertible. They wanted to see the car seat so I told them there was no way I was uninstalling my tech checked seat and they were welcome to come down and look at it. They declined and I walked out carrying my baby.

leighi123

My hospital made me sign a piece of paper that said "yes I have a carseat" and thats about it (or you could check "no I need one", they had a program to give them to those in need). They never checked it.

sunnymw

Our hospital has you walk down with baby in your arms and then they watch you buckle them in.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

amyd

If they don't want to go down with you and you don't want to bring it up, just ask to sign the waiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

disbugsmomma

Where I delivered they never asked about a carseat (at least that I recall anyway) and they didn't walk me down to the car either. :shrug-shoulders:

Kobain's Mommy

We were in the NICU so they needed the seat for the car seat test. If baby is discharged they don't walk or wheel you down to the door. I've only seen people with buckets walk out but it's just parent/s/family and baby. We'll mostly be using a CCO with this baby, but I'll just take our infant bucket to the hospital anyways.

scoutingbear

Maddie came home in one. They told dh to go bring up the carseat, we both said no, that it was a convertible. They told us they would look in the car when we went down. Then they didn't walk to the driver's side where her seat was installed. :rolleyes: So, yeah, they walked down, but didn't look in the car to see her seat.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Dd rode home in the TFP. The nurse looked in the car, saw the seat and left. Didn't even wait for me to put her in. We were juggling 2 kids in 1 seat so dh had to install it and that was worrisome. Thank goodness for that little ball indicator.

ks227

They asked if we had an appropriate rear-facing car seat for the baby and we said yes. A nurse did not accompany us out to the car, nor did they check to see that the baby was strapped in properly - she rode in the Keyfit on my lap in a wheelchair out to the lobby and we were pushed by a high school age volunteer. If we had said we were using a rear facing seat from birth, they would have been fine with it but a nurse would have run out to the car with DH to make sure we had a seat. Since they're not techs they are limited to confirming that families have a seat, not that they use the seat properly (or at all) or that the seat is correctly installed.

The hospital where I delivered draws patients from across the socioeconomic spectrum and the nurse who admitted me for my induction asked if we had diapers, clothing, a crib, a car seat, etc. - when I asked, she said that there are indeed moms who go to the hospital to have a baby and have none of that stuff because they can't afford it. If that's the case the hospital social workers will handle it and ensure that the new parent(s) have an appropriate car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC