newb doesnt fit keyfit...

hunypooh77

Baby was born Wed 6.6lbs he was 6.3 on Fri at discharge...put him in the carseat thinking it should be a good fit and he fits horribly!! We have the newborn insert in and he was sooo scrunched up, his head was pushed forward and the harness is terrible. When tightened the chest clip pretty much touches the buckle and it still doesnt seem snug enough, could I be doing something wrong? I really dont feel comfortable putting him in this seat.:(

Sorry I dont know how to resize the images so they are big...

286.jpg

harness seems to not be moving freely through the buckle slots, keeps getting hung up on them...
285.jpg

287.jpg

288.jpg

looks like it is in right...we did replace the harness
289.jpg

292.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

tiggercat

I'd try just taking out the head cushion. I find it pushes the head forward sometimes. Might allow him to stretch out a bit and improve the harness fit. A pic would help troubleshoot!

cookie123

Yes, take out the head support and use some rolled up blankets instead. Also, take off the harness covers. That should help a lot.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I was able to get bitty baby in pretty tight with the inserts.

IMG_5642_2.jpg

IMG_5641_3.jpg

And without inserts:

IMG_5640_4.jpg

IMG_5639_5.jpg

Usually just taking the head rest out fixes the scrunchiness of a newbie.

Chely7425

My 5.5 pounder fit well in it as well... if he is slumping because of a gap between him and the crotch strap you can roll a wash cloth and put it there (I believe). Also, the buckle and chest strap will basically be touching, it happens with pretty much any seat with an itty bitty.

nmb

Looks like your buckle tongues are on backwards. (Tongs?) The metal piece that goes into the crotch buckle.

Brycen'sMommy

Check and see if the splitter plate is getting caught on something. With the infant insert in, I can cinch the harness down on our Keyfit nearly tight with only a small space for my hand.

Looks like your buckle tongues are on backwards. (Tongs?) The metal piece that goes into the crotch buckle.
:yeahthat:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Push the bum all the way back, add a rolled receiving blanket, and take another pic.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Check and see if the splitter plate is getting caught on something. With the infant insert in, I can cinch the harness down on our Keyfit nearly tight with only a small space for my hand.

Yeah, I just got mine out, and I can get my fist in there.

hunypooh77

We replaced the harness and crotch buckle, the new harness came from chicco with the buckle tongues and chest clip on it. We made sure to replace one side at a time so it didnt get mixed up. The new harness went in exactly as the old one came out. Dh was just looking at it and nothing is twisted or out of place but when we put the baby in it doesnt seem right. Its impossible to tighten correctly because the harness isnt moving freely through the buckle tongues, it does look twisted on his hips...I dont know what to do ther than get a different seat :confused:

tiggercat

You need to flip the metal clip holding the bottom of the harness over one half twist. That will get rid of the twist at the hips.

Jennifer mom to my 7

We replaced the harness and crotch buckle, the new harness came from chicco with the buckle tongues and chest clip on it. We made sure to replace one side at a time so it didnt get mixed up. The new harness went in exactly as the old one came out. Dh was just looking at it and nothing is twisted or out of place but when we put the baby in it doesnt seem right. Its impossible to tighten correctly because the harness isnt moving freely through the buckle tongues, it does look twisted on his hips...I dont know what to do ther than get a different seat :confused:

Does your seat have terminal ends? I heard that older seats did (mine did) but newer seats, after they came out with the 30 have a continuous harness. I would take the harness out, and re do it. I think you might have twisted it when you put it in without realizing it. Have you ever re threaded a last generation britax harness? If you route the hip straps in upside down it will do the same thing. I think that is what might have happened here.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The buckle tongues are on correctly, it's the ends that flipped. Undo the hip straps from the shell, then reattach them with the buckles buckled.

Checking if if the harness is straight without the buckle done is deceiving because the harness is SUPPOSED to have a bend to go through the tongues and lay flat across the hips.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC