If my parents back into my car...

babyherder

in our driveway going about 5-10 mph does that count as enough of an accident to need to replace my booster seats? I park behind my mom's car and both she and my dad have backed directly into my car when trying to pull out because they didn't look behind them first :)rolleyes:). So far my seats weren't in the car when it happened and there's no damage to either car. But I know it will happen again. Plus, I'm afraid they won't tell me if they do cause they think I'm too careful and the seats will be fine. Now I'm afraid to leave them in my car :mad:

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I would not consider that to be a problem. If there is no damage and they just bump it then I wouldn't turn it in to insurance as damaged and would not replace the seats. I would not consider that a crash. My kids crash their bikes into my cars that hard lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

tjham

in our driveway going about 5-10 mph does that count as enough of an accident to need to replace my booster seats? I park behind my mom's car and both she and my dad have backed directly into my car when trying to pull out because they didn't look behind them first :)rolleyes:). So far my seats weren't in the car when it happened and there's no damage to either car. But I know it will happen again. Plus, I'm afraid they won't tell me if they do cause they think I'm too careful and the seats will be fine. Now I'm afraid to leave them in my car :mad:

I would bet they don't even get up to 5 mph in such a short distance.

amyd

agave said:
I would park farther away from your parents if at all possible.

Yeah that. Hope there aren't ever any kids in your driveway if your parents are backing up without looking:eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

babyherder

So far parking close seems to be the best solution. That way they can't get up a lot of speed before they hit my car. I try to park in front of my mom so she doesn't hit me at all. As for the kids thing, I totally agree. Scares me that they won't even glance behind them :thumbsdown::mad:

Keeanh

What do they do in parking lots?? :eek: How do they not know or see that there is a vehicle behind them? That is just crazy. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why they both drive like that. Any way you can talk them into backing INTO the driveway?

Stelvis

Can you set up some obstacles to train them to look? Orange cones or something that they'll notice if they hit but won't cause damage? I worry too about them not looking for kids first.

babyherder

I worry about kids too but they'd just be mad if I tried anything to 'train' them. As far as they're concerned I overstep my boundaries as it is. At least I don't have to worry about my seats. I told them loudly and clearly they are no longer to back into my car cause the vivo is expensive but I think the only outcome of that is that they will remember for a while, then forget I'm behind them, and back up into my car and not tell me so I don't pay to replace the seat. (Which, with my youngest usual rider at 7 I'd just buy a cheap backless. But it frustrates me that I paid $65 for the vivo just last year and I might have to stop using it cause some people can't stop backing into my car!)

Ninetales

I'd be mad they keep hitting my car, let alone worrying about the seats inside. They'd be parking in the street at my house if they can't respect my property.

Stelvis

Is it an option to just not park in the driveway, or not let them park in the driveway? Not sure whose house you're at....

babyherder

Its my parents house. And, technically, its their car so I don't care if they back into it. Street parking works sometimes, but not always, and then some random person could always hit the car. Honestly, as long as the seats are probably ok I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC