Car Sickness Help please

Mommy2Marcus

So I have a friend with a 9ish month old that is getting car sick in the car. She is getting sick every time the trip is over 20 minutes & sometimes less. She is RF in a Britax Boulevard. Mom wants to keep her RF till at least 2, like she did with her older 2, but she is having a hard time with her getting sick all the time. I know that she has a van and she is in the 3rd row outboard.

I am waiting on her to get back to me, but I asked for a picture of the seat to see if maybe it could either go more upright or a little more reclined. I also suggested maybe a new seat would help without the head wings.

But after that I am lost. Is there some other options that I can suggest for her? Something else that may help her little girls car sickness. She said she wants to solve it so she can keep her RF, but is saying that she will turn her at 1 if she can not. I really really want to help her to keep that from happening. So, please help.

ADS

mommyx4

Maybe being in the 3rd row is doing it. One of my dd's always feels sick when she is in the 3rd row. I would suggest trying the second row and see if that helps.

Jan06twinmom

I was also wondering about second row - but maybe trying both outboard and center if that is possible. Outboard might help the child see out the window and get more air from the AC.

Melanie

Mommy2Marcus

I was also wondering about second row - but maybe trying both outboard and center if that is possible. Outboard might help the child see out the window and get more air from the AC.

Melanie

Thanks. I just suggested the 2nd row to her. She is also going to get me some pictures when she gets the seat back cleaned up & reinstalled.

Does anyone else have any suggestions. I would love to hear some more. I really want to help her solve this so her kiddo can stay RF for as long as she can. So please help.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Something to entertain her and keep her eyes off the windows? Coloring book and crayons perhaps?
I suggest buckling her in then putting on one of those rubber Dibs with the nice big catch tray. It will at least make clean up easier.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

scatterbunny

I agree with something to entertain or distract her, but at 9mo, that's going to be difficult. I just wanted to pipe in and say that my daughter started getting carsick *after* we turned her forward-facing around 13mo. I don't think the direction she faced made a difference, it was just her age. It was difficult to deal with until she was about 3, then her hair was long enough to keep put up out of the puke mess, and she was old enough to aim for a bag or bowl. From 1-3, though, it was hard to deal with. We just packed lots of clothes and wet washcloths (in ziplock bags) and clean water, and cleaned up as best as we could.

Lea_Ontario

We dealt with MONTHS of severe motion sickness with Bug as she was recovering from an illness.
Even 5 mins in the car and she was puking. Started when she was 16 months and lasted until - well, I don't rightly remember now.

I came on here and asked about RF vs. FF for carsickness too.

Benedryl or Gravol (Dramamine) was our best friend - for EVERY trip in the car for a long time.

Yes, I chose to repeated and routinely "drug" my child (a half-dose worked for most trips). I would have done so daily.

It was safer for her to be dosed with a half-dose of Benedryl or Gravol (Dramamine) frequently than it was to turn her FF.

scatterbunny

I just re-read my post, and it sounded like I was ambivalent about RF vs. FF. I'm not. ;) I agree with Kashi, I'd personally resort to medication before turning the child FF. I didn't go the med route for my dd, except once (Dramamine, and her reaction scared me, so we just toughed it out after that). We just focused on teaching her how to aim for a receptacle and having the necessary items for a quick and easy clean-up on hand at all times.

I do think trying her in different seating positions should be the first course of action, and since she's much too young for my child's solutions to help, medication would be my next choice if a change in seating position doesn't help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC