3 across in a Nissan Versa?

LittlePeanut

3 across in a Nissan Versa? (pics added in post #15)

Trying to make a 3 across work in a Nissan Versa. Kids are 6 years old (just over 40 lbs), 3 year old FF'ing and 2 week old baby.

I'm nearly certain 3 Radians will fit well but I'm curious what other configurations I should try out. There is not a lot of room back there and most seats are not easily puzzling together. Parents are okay with buying whatever extra seat is needed and a few that may work are on sale right now (RN, CA, TB).

They already have 2 RNs, 1 classic MA as well as some other wider options they I didn't bother trying. The mom would like an infant bucket but not if another seat makes more sense. 2 RNs only fit side by side with room for another seat when in opposite directions which leaves very little room for the front passengers.

I'm planning on trying the following combos:

FF RN, RF RN, TB
FF RN, RF CA, FF RN
FF RN, RF MR, FF RN
bucket, FF RN, TB

What is the narrowest bucket available in Canada? I'm assuming only baseless installs will be possible, if at all but I"m not certain.

Help!

Last edited:
ADS

Kat_Shoshin

You should be able to do this with 2 radians - I can't see why not.

My MIL has this vehicle and I really want to try out the interior as well - but they think I am weird to want to ;)

If she really wants a bucket - the babytrend has a really high rise to it that I think would flare out over the radian foot well. I believe it is the narrowest. it's on at BRU for $100 right now with the foot muff.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

mam521

How big is the NOOB? Just wondering if a CA will have low enough harness positioning for a wee one. Superstore still seems to have the MR and it has that nice high base that seems to puzzle well and the lowest harness slot is pretty wee baby friendly. Just a thought if you can find one!

LittlePeanut

mam521 said:
How big is the NOOB? Just wondering if a CA will have low enough harness positioning for a wee one. Superstore still seems to have the MR and it has that nice high base that seems to puzzle well and the lowest harness slot is pretty wee baby friendly. Just a thought if you can find one!

I was looking at the harness slots for the CA and realized it won't be low enough. She fits her current bucket so she has at least an 8" torso but no where near the 10" she'd need for the CA.

Is the MR hard to get a hold of right now?!

I spoke with the mom and she has decided another bucket is just delaying the inevitable. So we're down to the 2 RNs and either a TB or a MR, I think.

If you see any errors, I blame autocorrect!

mommycat

Neither the CA or classic MA would fit a noob, so yeah, those are out for RF. BUT, if the 3yo still fits in the MA, I would try:
FFRN/FFMA/RFRN
This worked fine in my Civic, despite the crappy hard bolsters making the seat fit narrow, since the FF Classic MA puzzles great with the Radian in either direction. Then when the baby is tall enough for the MA, they can swap with the 3yo (try that as well since I can't recall if a RF MA fights for shell space with the FF RN - it might. They could swap the oldest into a TB when the MA is outgrown by the 3yo if that is the case.). When does their MA expire?

The MR is very similar in fit/puzzling to the MA but I think the MA may be a bit better. And, they already own it!

You could also try a Scenera RF with the 2 Radians FF.

What bucket is she in? I assume you tried that already with the 2 Radians?

I have an MR you could test drive, if you don't have one on hand...

LittlePeanut

mommycat said:
Neither the CA or classic MA would fit a noob, so yeah, those are out for RF. BUT, if the 3yo still fits in the MA, I would try:
FFRN/FFMA/RFRN
This worked fine in my Civic, despite the crappy hard bolsters making the seat fit narrow, since the FF Classic MA puzzles great with the Radian in either direction. Then when the baby is tall enough for the MA, they can swap with the 3yo (try that as well since I can't recall if a RF MA fights for shell space with the FF RN - it might. They could swap the oldest into a TB when the MA is outgrown by the 3yo if that is the case.). When does their MA expire?

The MR is very similar in fit/puzzling to the MA but I think the MA may be a bit better. And, they already own it!

You could also try a Scenera RF with the 2 Radians FF.

What bucket is she in? I assume you tried that already with the 2 Radians?

I have an MR you could test drive, if you don't have one on hand...

The 3 y/o does still fit the MA but it won't work. This is what I tried with no success (I think the shape of the vehicle seats make the normal puzzling not work the same):

FF MA/RF RN/FF RN
FF RN/RF MA/FF RN
FF MA/FF RN/not enough remaining space for anything.
FF RN/FF RN/not enough space remaining

I tried a Scenera both FF and RF in the mix with the RNs.

The MA expires in November of this year.

The bucket is a designer 22 and is just too wide to work.

I have a MR, TB and RN which I plan to try out tomorrow. I'm pretty certain the RN will work but the 6 y/o will outgrow it by height fairly soon and then we're back to trying to find another solution. I'm actually hoping the TB will fit well with 2 RNs.

Kat_Shoshin

In my car I find that a FF RN beside a RF RN work great. and give me more room for other seats.

The turbobooster isn't really friends with them though... I fit one, but they don't puzzle well traditionally.
A scenera fits well with a RN when beside one in the same direction.

Good luck!

LittlePeanut

In my car I find that a FF RN beside a RF RN work great. and give me more room for other seats.

The turbobooster isn't really friends with them though... I fit one, but they don't puzzle well traditionally.
A scenera fits well with a RN when beside one in the same direction.

Good luck!

Hmmm I tried the Scenera RF between 2 FF RNs and FF outboard next to a RF RN but I'm not sure I tried it FF next to a FF RN. That might work! I'll let you know tonight. Still hoping against hope that the TB will work since the issue will only be presented again when the 6 y/o outgrows the RN.

mommycat

I would retry the MA (and/or MR and/or Scenera, both have a similar fit with the RN in same direction), but put it in the center. Putting it outboard eats up room next to the door AND makes it puzzle a bit less well. Having the flared shell seat up on the center hump allowed the Radian to slot under a little bit better.

If the Scenera works in some way I would imagine the CA would work in the same spot (guessing). The width and shell shape is similar, so it also puzzles with the Radians facing same way.

If two Radians and a booster doesn't work, hopefully a puzzle with a Radian will leave more room for the TB.

LittlePeanut

Now that my head is spinning ;) I can't recall which of those (if any) I did try. This time... PICTURES!!

ETA I'm pretty sure I only tried the RN RF centre. I'll try it outboard with various seats in the centre and the FF RN or booster outboard too.

LittlePeanut

Success!!

I have 2 combos that work...

Driver side/centre/passenger side

FF MA/FF RN/RF RN
HBB TB/FF RN/RF RN

All harnessed seats were checked for independant installs and all are either rock solid or less than 1" of movement at the belt path. All are seatbelt installs.

I just need to double check online manuals to verify belt path routing (my friend's were not handy) for the MA. The MA will expire at the end of October of this year.

I do have another question though, is it okay for the TB to be slightly askew? It sits flush against the seat back, belt fit is great but due to the 3 across space and vehicle side bolsters, it is slightly turned inwards. Is this okay? It's approx 10-15* from straight forward.

Pictures to come!

LittlePeanut

Well crap. The mom just called and for some reason the straps on the Radian are tightening just fine but then they will just loosen. I've told her to check the release tab to ensure nothing is caught in it that could possibly be causing it to not fully come down and lock the harness into place.

I do know that another poster (kimberley) also had this happening with her Radian. Does anyone know the contact info off hand for who she needs to contact to get it fixed? I assume she should also contact TC to let them know it has happened.

*sigh*

LittlePeanut

Well it seems the harness fixed itself as mysteriously as it "broke". She knows to keep an eye on it and she's just hoping some debris was caught up in the release mechanism and it's now fallen out.

I will post on the 3 across thread (thanks for the reminder) and thanks for offer of helping hands :)

LittlePeanut

Pictures as promised...

001-2.jpg
003-1.jpg
004-2.jpg
005-1.jpg

InternationalMama

Thanks for the pictures. :) Can a passenger still fit (safely) in the front seat with the Radian RF behind it? I have heard from other posters that with a Radian behind it the front passenger seat in the Versa is pushed too far forward to be useable. What was your impression?

LittlePeanut

Well *I* was comfortable. I'm 5'5", 135 lbs and average proportions. When I sat in the front, I had around 6" between my knees and the dash. Someone with longer legs would be more squished. It would be nice if there was a little more room but as it is, it's okay. Down the road when the baby is older, we'll try for a less than 45* install and see what we get.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I have a friend who has the same vehicle and similar ages of children so this was perfect. My only question, does anyone have a slimmer booster seat recommendation? With the TB a little askew as you say, I presume because of the cup holders, just wondering if there are other options that would be better.

Thanks!

mommycat

I missed that about the TB being skewed. I don't like it but would need to *see* how bad it is. Not as bad if the full back is flush though, I think. But yeah, I don't realy like twist in the seats since it means potentially uneven loading at first. Not sure if it's an actual issue though.

I don't think the skew has anything to do with the cupholders?? It's the vehicle seat back contouring that pushes the outboard side of the TB forward a bit more than the interior side.

From other recent threads it seems the Evenflo Amp, and the HB version which I think is the Big Kid Sport? are a little narrower and have nice non-contoured, straight up-and-down armrests, so they would be worth a try.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC