Is it OK if a rear-facing car seat touches front seats?

S

stoopgirl

Is it OK if a rear-facing car seat touches front seats?

I have a britax roundabout and recently installed in in our toyota camry in the back center position rear-facing. The car seat ( the back of it) actually touches the back or sides of the 2 front seats. Is this correct installation? What I mean is...Is it ok if the baby's car seat which is installed in the back, touches the front seats?
I just don't know how it would work otherwise. I hope you can picture it.
Help!

ADS
C

Caviller

An answer-

Bracing a rear-facing converible seat against the vehicle seat in front of it may improve safety in a frontal crash. Some claim that it can reduce or prevent the downward rotation of the rear-facing seat in a frontal crash. It is also probably better to be in contact with the seat to start, rather than possibly hitting it during the crash. Others argue that bracing may have no effect, since both the carseat and vehicle seat move forward in a similar fashion during a crash. Even so, bracing should never be a disadvantage, unless the instructions of your carseat say otherwise. The Century SmartMove, for example, must be free to rotate backward.

Are you also using the tether on your Roundabout while rear-facing? This can add additional stability.

Darren

S

stoopgirl

tether on roundabout

Thanks for the response. I was not using the tether, but will look into it for the next time we rent a car and have to use the car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC