In Need of Swingset Advice

Meg

We just bought a house and will be moving in July. We're trying to do the research now and plan our purchases, but I'm so conflicted over which swing set to buy once we move in. My little guys are still pretty young, almost 5 years old and 16 months old, so we don't know if we should get a smaller swing set and upgrade later or just get a full size swing set and allow the kids to grow into it.

I'm torn between these two sets:

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1410 (small set that we'd have to upgrade later)

http://www.lifetime.com/playground/playsets-and-swing-sets/a-frame-playset/90042?view=img (double the price, but full size that would last forever)

I've looked at a few wooden sets, but there seems to be some upkeep involved and we're also in the northeast and have lots of snow and rain, and the metal seems like it will hold up for as long as our kids will be using the swing sets.

Does anyone have any advice about what swing sets worked well for their kids at that age? I showed my older son the Step2 set and he thinks that set is for little kids. :confused:

Thanks in advance for advice and or more suggestions! ;)

ADS

bnsnyde

Just my opinion, get the Lifetime!!! The plastic one will not hold up well and they will outgrow it quickly.

We bought a metal one last year by Kettler, made in Germany. Ours is pretty basic (1 swing and 1 glider) and it's for our 4 kids under 5. I'd say it's best for ages 2 to 9. It was over $300 (again it's very small) but sturdy and well-made compared to the toystore metal sets. You can buy a bunch of swing varieties. They do use lead in paint and I spent a lot of time on the phone about that. You'd be surprised how common this is. I could not find one that did not! I mean, not lead paint but it's used somehow in the process.

My own metal swingset lasted kingergarten to college. Yes, I used it that long. Eventually for pull-ups! And it was a cheap $50 one. Though, it had rusted, twisted metal all over after over a decade...:)

Those Lifetime ones look awesome, by the way!!! And they say no lead-based stuff, I see. Wish I had one of those sets. :)

Vdavis

I live in the midwest illinois with lots of snow and rain. To start my dad purchased a metal set for his house when my oldest 2 were very young and I pirchased the little tykes one. I ended up buying a large wooden one a few years later cause my oldest 2 outgrew the little tykes one. The metal one at my dads started rusting within 3 years. The wooden one I have requires almost no maintnance. We sealed it once with a 10 year deck sealer and have had no problems. My dad recently replaced the metal one with a wooden on i think from menards and it was already sealed. I find rust to be a big problem with all the moisture and salt from the roads. I still have the little tykes one for the baby and its still perfect. Which ever one you choose it will be loved and get lots of use. And one thing I learned with all sets is when anchoring use cement with any anchor they will all pull up without it espessialy with ground freezing and thawing.

Holly

I would get the lifetime set! That is the swingset that I want. The plastic one won't last as long and they will outgrow it quick too. I'm not a fan of wooden ones, I don't like the looks that much plus the maintenance, and slivers, etc.
The lifetime sets are powder coated steel, so they will last forever and not chip or rust.
I'd make sure to check around for the best deal though. It's $1,450 at Sams Club, shipping included. It was at Costco last year, and I even saw it on their website a few weeks ago (It was in a bundle which included a kids lifetime picnic table and a bonus toddler swing) for $1,399 shipping included but it doesn't look like they are carrying it anymore.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
If you're hesitant to spend the big bucks on the larger set right now, go with metal. There's one in the Sears ad this week for $123 with 2 swings, a trapeze, the thing that 2 kids can swing on facing each other, and a slide. The Kmart ad has a similar set (minus the trapeze) that also has a small trampoline attached for $180. Either of those would be more than adequate for a 5 year old. You could buy a "baby swing" to replace one of the regular swings for the toddler, and it should last for years.

Even if you do decide to replace the set down the road, at least you're not out $800 for the temporary set, and you can see how your kids play with it before deciding what features you want in your next set.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC