I think I've decided to get a CA...

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Right now DD is riding in a borrowed XTSL because I was having a very hard time getting her in and out of her MR while pregnant. I had planned to go back to the MR after DS is born (he will be riding in a KF).
We really like the MR and have no complaints really, but I am really loving the low profile of the XTSL. DD will be RFing in the MR outboard and I'm wondering if it's going to be difficult getting her in and out. When she was in it before it was center and she could climb in herself after climbing up into the seat first. I would then climb in or lean over to buckle her. So I'm thinking a CA would be good since it has a similarly low profile as the XTSL and is much more in our price range. (Plus I just am not comfortable purchasing anything from Sunshine Kids right now even if it was in our budget)
The MR could then be passed on to DS when he out grows the KF and hopefully still puzzle next to the CA so he can stay center...
Thoughts? Pros/cons? Is it crazy to buy another convertible when DD fits fine in the MR?
Anyone know if TRU will have a trade in event soon?

ADS

momtotwogirls

For now my CA has been living in the house because of a few things. Dorel is being very adament that you cannot use it after 40inches and it must be at the ful recline. i thought I was ok using it more upright and over 40 inches since my daughter has a few inches above her head but Im not sure anymore. I emailed them to see what they say because they did release a statement at the beginning of the month stating we can use the cA up to 49inches but the manual still says 40 inches. Anyway, it would be a parental desicion to use it more upright and whether to use it with the 40in guideline or the top of the headrest since the manual says both.

here is the statement if anyone is curious.
http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Ne...ng-Limits-to-Keep-Children-Rear-Facing-Longer

Jessica61624

momtotwogirls said:
For now my CA has been living in the house because of a few things. Dorel is being very adament that you cannot use it after 40inches and it must be at the ful recline. i thought I was ok using it more upright and over 40 inches since my daughter has a few inches above her head but Im not sure anymore. I emailed them to see what they say because they did release a statement at the beginning of the month stating we can use the cA up to 49inches but the manual still says 40 inches. Anyway, it would be a parental desicion to use it more upright and whether to use it with the 40in guideline or the top of the headrest since the manual says both.

here is the statement if anyone is curious.
http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/News/Detail/515-Dorel-Juvenile-Group-Offers-a-Variety-of-Child-Restraints-with-Extended-Rear-Facing-Limits-to-Keep-Children-Rear-Facing-Longer

·    Safety 1st Complete Air 65 Convertible Car Seat: Accommodates children up to 40 pounds and 49 inches rear facing.  

ericarizo

I would not get a CA if you cannot follow the current requirements by Dorel which is 40 inches or less and the lime MUST be level with the ground when RF. Sucks I know but until we have more information as to why then this is what has to be followed.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Hmmm...I wonder if the recline would bother DD. She's only 36" right now so the height limit isn't a problem for us for a while. The RN is pretty reclined and she hasn't complained. As much I try I haven't been able to get a good upright install. We do really like the MR though so maybe I'll wait and see how she does getting in & out with it outboard...

momtotwogirls

·    Safety 1st Complete Air 65 Convertible Car Seat: Accommodates children up to 40 pounds and 49 inches rear facing.  

Thats what this says but manuals say 40 inches on a few pages but it also says you can use it to the top of the headrest on a page in the manual. it has been heard from a technician at Dorel that you CANNOT go above 40 inches even if the child has room above their heads.

Jessica61624

momtotwogirls said:
Thats what this says but manuals say 40 inches on a few pages but it also says you can use it to the top of the headrest on a page in the manual. it has been heard from a technician at Dorel that you CANNOT go above 40 inches even if the child has room above their heads.

Weird they made the mistake on that link.

Ninetales

When I got the CA there were lots of techs saying it was ok to put it more upright. Now it's the opposite. I wouldn't have gotten it if that were the case then. I don't have to worry about the 40" limit just yet but I can't recline it to the line so I guess that's a parental decision on my part.

I wish Dorel would get their info to match up and at least explain the why behind these things.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Lots of techs are comfortable putting it more upright for their own children, but I won't tell you to go against the manual. It's up to you whether or not you are comfortable using it more upright and/or past the height limit.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm not sure how it sounded to you, but I'm sorry if it was "off" in any way.

But Dorel is certainly not the only manufacturer that doesn't explain their rules. Lots of carseats have rules about angles and height limits. I'm not sure what you are expecting?

Ninetales

It just sounded really sarcastic. Their guidelines don't make a lot of sense. I've asked them about the 40" inch limit regarding torso vs. leg length, and they reply telling me I'm right but essentially the limit is there because they say so. That's frustrating.

And since I've been here I've seen many times posters being told by techs that it's ok to put every seat more upright, even though the manual says something else. Now for this seat people are acting as though you are incompetent for doing so and I am confused.

I am trying to do my best and follow good advice but it's hurtful to be written off as a willful misuser when I thought I was following accepted advice, and when I question the manufacturer's instructions that confuse me.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree that Dorel doesn't owe us any explanations, but I also agree it would be nice to have some, especially on the height issue, given that the seat COULD accommodate much taller children.

My issue with it is that if the seat fails with a 41-inch kid, what does that mean for MY kid, who is less than 40" but has an unusually long torso? What if her torso reaches the "failure" point when she's, say, 38 inches?

Frankly, I think it's all a matter of CYA conservatism, and I have no problem making certain parental decisions with it, but obviously I can't push those decisions on others.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ninetales said:
And since I've been here I've seen many times posters being told by techs that it's ok to put every seat more upright, even though the manual says something else. Now for this seat people are acting as though you are incompetent for doing so and I am confused.

The difference is that most manufacturers (if you call them or speak with someone knowledgable in the company) allow more upright installs, even if it doesn't state that in the manuals, which tend to be written in such a way to avoid unnecessary confusion or misuse. Dorel has been extremely strict about their recline angle.

If it matters, I did get an explanation on why that is, and the answer was that the seat over-rotated with heavier kids when installed more upright. Which makes no sense to me and I'm inclined not to believe it, but there you go. (That answer came from one of their top reps, by the way, not a customer service person.)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Most seats can be mire upright since their manufacturers allow it. Dorel does not (with any of their seats).

There was a similar issue when the first Recaro convertibles came out. A bunch of people called and asked/complained and they changed their recommendation. But Dorel wants 40 inches and 45*.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Ninetales

That makes sense then. I've not seen that specified before. Though I have seen other posts where people have gotten different information from Dorel reps and that adds to my frustration.

I know no one can tell me it's ok to do but if techs do it with their own kids I will be taking that into consideration. So I appreciate that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC