anyone rented a carseat with Avis?

U

Unregistered

We are going on a cruise and are contemplating renting a car for one day with Avis while in Alaska. I have never rented carseats before but hate the thought of dragging 3 carseats on a boat for one day when we're already dragging so much junk. We're driving to Seattle so this would be the only reason for a carseat while away. We'd be driving about 100 miles round trip that day.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone know what carseats Avis rents? My older 2 are on the border between convertible and booster and still harnessed (in a Frontier & Radian), and I'm concerned they would end up being belted in a booster if the carseat Avis provides is on the smaller side. If that's the case, I might end up dragging our 2 Radians on board and letting the youngest ride in a rental.
2) What do you think the chances are that Avis will have carseats available that day? I've had the experience of renting a particular size car, then showing up and finding that they don't actually have that size car available.

Thoughts? Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Renting seats is like buying a used seat. Do you know the history? Do you know that it's been well cared for? Has it been bleached (likely with a rental company)? Do you know if it's recalled? Expired? What will you do if you get there and they don't have any or it's a nasty seat? Who has peed/pooped/puked in it before you?

How old and heavy are your kids? We can probably recommend travel seats that are easier to tote. What seats do you have? If you're driving here you already have seats with you, and depending on which ship you're on and which terminal it's not far from parking to the ship (I live in Seattle).

Wendy

beetlemama

I personally would not use a rented carseat. I'd be too worried about not knowing if the seat had been used correctly. Also, every story I've heard about rented carseats included either getting one that wasn't age/size appropriate, getting one that was long expired or getting one that was just gross. While it's annoying to have to bring your own for such short use, I would bring mine. Sorry!

luckyclov

Also, if at all possible, you might consider just purchasing seats at your destination, or have them waiting for you, and then donate them when you're done. That's what we've done in the past and, actually, it's always turned up a few bucks cheaper than renting anyways. And, it's safer since we knew the history of the seat. Just a thought.:)

KaiLing

I was in a bind once and rented a car seat from a major agency at an airport (this involved a cancelled flight). I was significantly less informed about seats than I am now, and it worked out fine in a pinch, but I wouldn't do it again and I certainly wouldn't plan to rent. But I can answer some of your questions.

I would expect them to have small cheap seats if they have them at all. I'd guess an Evenflo or a Scenera. I would not expect that the seats that they have will match what they say they have on the website (in my case the seat was significantly newer, actually). I would expect them to offer your older, heavier kids a booster. I would not expect to find a manual, nor someone who knows anything about the seat in the office (so knowing if your kid has outgrown them is dependent on the stickers on the side or your ability to google on your phone with three kids and luggage in hand). I would not expect calls to the office to confirm what kind of seat they have and when to match to what they have at the time you come. Even if you get a concerned person on the phone, they just can't set something aside for you and one way rentals make their stock change unpredictably.

If I were you I'd carry the Radians and possibly purchase a Scenera for the smaller child.

BananaBoat

You're not going to find anyone on this site who will recommend renting a seat from the car rental company. Unfortunately, while car rental companies keep up with newer model cars, they seem to barely think about car seats. The experiences vary from the company having 2 seats to choose from - neither of which may be appropriate for your child, to having a pile of filthy, expired & damaged seats to "choose" from.

I myself have seen a rental infant seat that smelled of vomit, had the straps cut & tied in a way that it made it a 3-point harness & impossible to adjust AND had blackened & melted plastic shell - as though it had caught on fire

This was an interesting article - http://www.deliciousbaby.com/journal...s-infant-risk/

Additionally, you don't know how they treat the seats. If they are clean, do they wash the harness rendering it useless? Do they replace their seats if there is a crash? How do the various renters treat the seats?

Too many variables for *me* to feel comfortable, so I just bring my own seat.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
How old are your kids? Weight?

If your oldest is 5y or older I would consider a booster for her and use the radians for the younger kids.

Someone on here has posted that one company washed the harnesses when the seats were returned. They were clean, but unsafe to use as harnesses are not to be washed.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Vdavis

Have you thought about buying new ones at the point where you need them. Walmart has car seats for less than 30 and boosters for 10. When your done you can donate them locally and write off the cost as a tax deduction. They dont cost to much more than a rental and you know they are safe and added bonus tax deduction

monstah

Coincidentally, my uncle has been running an Avis for 10 years and he happened to be visiting me today. :)

I asked him how they clean the car seats and he said if they get bad, they strip the covers and take a gigantic bag of 20+ covers to the dry cleaner and wash the harness & shell with whatever soap the employee happens to grab.

I asked "Any chance you would know if a kid puked in the seat so the parents took it apart, tossed it in the washing machine and scrubbed the shell with Ajax?" And he said, "We wouldn't know. I'm sure it happens."

His Avis only buys Evenflo. I didn't ask if it is a company wide thing or just his specific location.

Ninetales

I wouldn't trust a car rental company to provide safe carseats. And for the same cost you could just buy some new at your destination.

mom2kk

I rented with Hertz recently and had brought my own seats, but got the rental car seats for the second vehicle we had rented. It was just plain awful, what they offered. I couldn't believe it...thought such a large chain such as these (Hertz, Avis, etc) would not skimp so much in this area, but yes they do. Expired seats, no manuals, dirty. I complained about every single one they offered me, and the clerk gave up exasperated, told me to go to WalMart, buy the proper, current, seat I wanted, and she'd take the cost off our rental bill. So I got lucky and got to use a brand new SnugRide, with tons of hassle. But like all pp said, don't recommend relying on rentals at all.

reader

Thanks, I don't know if there are any places to buy carseats in Skagway, AK, but I know my DH will never go for spending part of our 10 hours in port to go buy a carseat, so we will rethink renting. The other option is a shuttle bus, and I hate putting them on buses (which of course don't have carseats).

The kids are 44 inches, 40 lbs; 40 inches, 38 lbs; and 32 inches, 25 lbs.

(Remember my login, so logged in)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would be perfectly okay with my kids riding on buses. The crash videos show how well people are protected even without seatbelts. The other year our update had a whole section about buses.

How old are the kiddos? I would look at safe rider vest. Or if over 40# and over 5y a low back booster.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

reader

I didn't know buses were safer than cars. So you guys would prefer a 10 mile ride (each way) without carseats on a bus to rented carseats? The Safe Rider vests look interesting, I haven't seen those before. Those might be a good investment...I have a 6 yo, 5 yo & 1 yo, so they would probably get some use in the next years.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sure. Any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Did that make your trip easier? :)

When are you sailing? I'll look for your boat. LOL

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC