MT vs. TWE...

ADS

gsdguenter

Typically kids shoulders get in the way of the head wings so the TWE can last longer height wise, but the MT is more friendly with more cars. If you have advanced air bags you can't brace and the TWE requires bracing.

kidnurse

I do have advanced airbags, however, there is never anyone in the front passengers seat so bracing isn't really a problem.

I have a very big 2 1/2 yr old, similar in size to kids 1-2 yrs older than he is, and I am getting worried we won't make it as far as I would like to RF in the Radian.

KaiLing

I have big kid for whom I bought a MT. I would have bought a TWE if I could brace, but I can not in the 2005 Mazda 3. The way I made my decision was by looking at his growth against the WHO curves and estimating when he'd be out of the only US seats remaining to him: the Radian XTSL. It wasn't going to get me where I wanted to go RF so I bought the MT.

kidnurse

Your LO is very similar in age and height to mine. T was born 9/2008 and at last weigh in was 35lbs and is 38 3/4 inches.

KaiLing

Your LO is very similar in age and height to mine. T was born 9/2008 and at last weigh in was 35lbs and is 38 3/4 inches.

Are you also a ginormous family like we are? I'm 5'9" and his dad is 6'9" so we expect this kind of thing from him. I just shrug my shoulders every time people say he's huge. My (6 foot tall) mother in law thinks he's perfectly normal.

kidnurse

My (6 foot tall) mother in law thinks he's perfectly normal. :love:

I am a single mother by choice, I am 5 ft 6, and the donor is 6ft 5. So it is not so surprising that T is a pretty big boy. I get the "he is huge" all the time too. It just meant he could go on more rides at Disneyland than your average 2 yr old when we went in November. :)

scariestone

I really depends where most of his height is. If its in his legs, you'd be fine with an MT. If its all in his torso you'd probably want to get a TWE. The "problem" with the MT is kids stop fitting because their shoulders get squished under the headwings. Both can technically be used until the tops of the ears are level with the top of the seat. My DS has almost a 15" torso and has plenty of growing room in the MT at 3.5. Though I also would have bought a TWE if I didn't have advanced airbags. IIRC, the caliber has a fairly large back seat so neither should be a problem, especially if you don't use the front seat. Both seats are designed to fit in European cars though, which are generally quite a lot smaller than American cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC