Question Am I wrong

Vdavis

So here is my situation. My husband and I rented a 12 passenger van for a family reunion and plan to leave in am. We are taking our 5 kids mil and 2 cousins at least that was the plan. Our uncle droped off his daughter and grand daughter. When they pulled up the 3 yr old was in no car seat or seat belt. I asked where her car seat was.(she weighs no more than 25 pounds and was a super premie) I was told they dont think she needs.a car seat so I offered one our daughter doesnt fit in. I will not drive 6 hours with her not in a car seat. This started a big conflict with the uncle and cousin(her mom). Is there a law in illinois specifically requiring her to be in a seat based on age and size. I dont want to start a family war but I am not willing to be open to legal consequences or have our family be unsafe in an accident. What would you do and do I have option to require carseat or refuse to take them with.

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Illinois requires proper CSR (child safety restraint) usage to age eight.

You can't make them use a CSR, although you can report non-usage. You can refuse to let them in the van you rented without a CSR.

beetlemama

It's definitely illegal for a 3 year old to not ride in a carseat, regardless of the parents feeling she doesn't need it. I would just let them know that you will not drive with a child who is not legally restrained and leave the decision to them. Given her age and size that is something I would consider reporting to the police. While I know not everyone follows perfect use, ERF, EH, etc, this could be a case of neglect that child services would intervene in. You can report anonymously.

canadiangie

What would I do? Laugh in their faces and go install a car seat for her.

Thats utter nonsense and I urge you to stand your ground. Under no circumstances do you take that toddler in your vehicle without a proper child restraint.

Family war. Good grief people are dumb. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

opheliajoy

canadiangie said:
What would I do? Laugh in their faces and go install a car seat for her.

Thats utter nonsense and I urge you to stand your ground. Under no circumstances do you take that toddler in your vehicle without a proper child restraint.

Family war. Good grief people are dumb. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

This.

Vdavis

Well that was lots of fun. My husband called my dad as he signed the rental with us for the discount and also thinking grandparent to grandparent maybe uncle would listen to him. That didnt work I have never heard of anyone refusing safety for their child. Dad even called k (state trooper friend). She tried showing videos and the requirements. We all gave up and k is filing a formal report when she goes in tonight. As for the family they wont be going with us. I didnt even say rf all I wanted was the child in a car seat for her safety and ours but somehow my husband my dad and I are all wrong. Oh well I guess you cant force people to keep their children alive. Sorry for the vent but if my husbands side had their choice theyd probably stick a playpen in the back of a van and let the kids have fun.

aisraeltax

wow! good for you and your husband and your dad though...great that you have such supportive men in your life.
i hope that little girl is never involved in an accident...i truly truly do.

Jan06twinmom

I'm so glad that you, your dad and your DH are all on the same page.

Unfortunately, as you already know, the consequences of an accident with her not being restrained properly will be devistating for your family.

Melanie

Vdavis

Yeas they are both very insistant on if a kid fits in a car seat they sit in one. When my oldest 3 kids were 1,5 &6 a drunk driver ran a light hit us and flipped our jeep. If they werent in car seats they wouldnt be here. Thats also why we dont have toys in the car they will hurt you in a bad accident. And my thoughts are you can be the greatest driver ever but there are still others on the road you cant control.

hrice

I just want to cry for that poor little girl. Those people are ignorant. I hope they are never proven wrong if you KWIM. :crying:

cookie123

I'm glad you stood your ground. What the $#(*$R& is wrong with people. Who says no, I don't want my kid to be safe. Especially when faced with opposition, in that type of situation it seems like most people would just go with the flow.

Have a fun trip!

DahliaRW

I don't know about your state, but here in WA I am legally responsible to make sure any minor under the age of 16 is properly restrained. If that's the case where you are, you have a very valid legal reason to refuse to transport as well.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DahliaRW said:
I don't know about your state, but here in WA I am legally responsible to make sure any minor under the age of 16 is properly restrained. If that's the case where you are, you have a very valid legal reason to refuse to transport as well.

In CA the driver wouldn't get the ticket if a parent is in the car, too (the parent would) but that's not a technicality I'd advertise, and frankly it doesn't matter.

opheliajoy

Wow. Sorry so much drama! We've had similar issues with my sister, though she knows if she wants to rise together, all must be properly retrained. It IS tough. My sis just drove 850 miles with her 3yr old alternating between a low back booster and a rear facing harness-less GN We live in such different worlds! 

Vdavis

So we got here without the cousins or mil cause they are having hissy fits. The "family matriarch" acctually agreed with us. Shes 98 and the great grandma of 3 yr old. I wanted to share her thoughts. In illinois the car seat heigjt is 4ft9in shes 4ft6in and stated as follows .
I have my own adult car seat and have to sit in the back seat and if its good enough for me then that spoiled brat can get her but in one to. Needless to say she made it clear to everyone so far that if you dont like the rules dont have kids

canadiangie

So we got here without the cousins or mil cause they are having hissy fits. The "family matriarch" acctually agreed with us. Shes 98 and the great grandma of 3 yr old. I wanted to share her thoughts. In illinois the car seat heigjt is 4ft9in shes 4ft6in and stated as follows .
I have my own adult car seat and have to sit in the back seat and if its good enough for me then that spoiled brat can get her but in one to. Needless to say she made it clear to everyone so far that if you dont like the rules dont have kids

I love it. :D

Darn right get that kid's butt in a seat!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Good job for standing your ground. And talking with the great grandma. Maybe someone will get through to them.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Qarin

My sis just drove 850 miles with her 3yr old alternating between a low back booster and a rear facing harness-less GN We live in such different worlds! 

A rear-facing, harnessless..... :eek:

(I suppose you mean rear-facing as-a-booster, which is a tiny bit less ack, but.... :eek: )

bethng

A rear-facing, harnessless..... :eek:

(I suppose you mean rear-facing as-a-booster, which is a tiny bit less ack, but.... :eek: )

how would that even work when rear facing a GN? I cant picture how someone could use it as a booster rear facing. :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC