Wwyd

opheliajoy

I'm trying to figure this out. I know all the seats in question passed the same tests.. So I'm not asking about that. In trying to figure out the safest option. If we can make our current seats to last another month or so, we'll have a bigger budget.

My Son is 3.5yr, with a RFing torso height of 14.75", and 30lb fully clothed.

We have a blvd an MA from fall of 2007, the model that RFed to 33 lbs. He is close to outgrowing it by both height and weight. He seems to have 1.5" below the shell, I will take pics later for extra advice there. So.. Another .5" or so in the MA.
In the blvd, do you go by the headrest height?
I missed MOST of the info about TC's reports about britax's near failures with the heavy 6 yr old dummies. I only know of the controversy of FFing with these seats. I can't seem to find the videos, I have yet to see them.

So... Assuming hes within an inch and 3 lbs or less of needing to turn him... Is there any concern I may have missed with these seats coming close to their limit RFing? And when he does reach the limit, would you still FF him in one of these, or resign them to RFing only? Or do you think they are safe FFing for lighter, younger children only? I don't want them to be dancing that line I "acceptable" when it comes to safety.

I just want to get him RFing until 4 (his head is still so much larger than his little body!) when well likely buy a GN or FT. If we have to buy another convertible to do so we will, but money is a concern. I am leaning towards the CA since we do sometimes need 3 across In our Avalon.

Eta: our Avalon has doesn't have latch nor FFing anchors for tethering. So, et RF tethered with lap/shoulder belt with locking retractor and would front-face with just the seatbelt install.

Can you have top anchors retrofitted to toyotas just like the RFing anchor points?

Last edited:
ADS

sunnymw

I think you can make it another month.

I would get a CA if you want to keep rear facing. :)

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Would you be able to tether the Britaxes forward-facing? I would be okay with a 3.5yo FFing and top-tethered, so if he'll be tethered and money is an issue, I'd just max out the seats RFing and then flip.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I have no issues with FF classic britax seats that can be tethered. My 4.5 year old's current daily seat is a RA50 (same shell as MA). I would max out what you have and then evaluate at that point I you'll be ready to flip him or not.

opheliajoy

carseatcoach said:
Would you be able to tether the Britaxes forward-facing? I would be okay with a 3.5yo FFing and top-tethered, so if he'll be tethered and money is an issue, I'd just max out the seats RFing and then flip.

In my mothers car yes, but in our primary, no.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What vehicle do you have? It might be able to be retrofitted. I didn't have issues using our old style bv ff and tethered.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

opheliajoy

pippi2077 said:
What vehicle do you have? It might be able to be retrofitted. I didn't have issues using our old style bv ff and tethered.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

That's what I was wondering... I wasn't sure if they did that fir FFing anchors . We have a 1997 Toyota Avalon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC