Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Grand Caravan Owners

Have any of you ever tried taking the middle captains chairs out and moving the bench up to the middle? I'm thinking about doing this because A: It's much easier to install ds's Radian since I can twist the buckles down. And B: It sure makes for a lot more cargo room which is needed with camping season upon us. There's only the 3 of us so I'm not concerned about losing 2 seats. I know I could just take the bench out for the cargo room but I really like the install better on the bench. The manual is pretty vague but I'm reasonably sure it's do-able.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member R&J'sMom's Avatar

Re: Grand Caravan Owners

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck22 View Post
    Have any of you ever tried taking the middle captains chairs out and moving the bench up to the middle? I'm thinking about doing this because A: It's much easier to install ds's Radian since I can twist the buckles down. And B: It sure makes for a lot more cargo room which is needed with camping season upon us. There's only the 3 of us so I'm not concerned about losing 2 seats. I know I could just take the bench out for the cargo room but I really like the install better on the bench. The manual is pretty vague but I'm reasonably sure it's do-able.

What year is your van? I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country (same van as the Grand Caravan) and we have the Stow N Go seats so this would not work for our van. However, in our previous van, a 2005 Dodge Caravan, we were able to swap out the 2nd & 3rd row benches. Let me know if it works.

Oops, I forgot, it's a 2000 Gr. Caravan well before the Stow and Go.

Senior Community Member libranbutterfly's Avatar

I had a '91 grand caravan, and I don't think I could do that, the hooks in the floor didnt match up. I only had one door, though, so I had one captians seat out so I could reach my girls easiest. I say give it a shot if it will work for you
    Jeneca
    Mom to
    Kamille (8) Booster,
    Alexis (6) Booster &
    Rayne (1) ERF in a Scenera for now

Senior Community Member all together ooky's Avatar

Yes, in my 2002 GC it is possible. Says so right in the manual. Plus, I had one of the sales guys do it for me just so I could see if it worked. The captains chairs cannot go in the third row though (not that I thought you were planning to do that).

I've heard of people making the van into a 8-seater by replacing the captians chairs with a third row bench too.
    ~Sonja~

Gwenllian: Born Feb. 7, 2004
    Eleanor: Born April 1, 2008
    Beatrice: Born Sept. 30, 2012

Yep, my '03 can fit the 50/50 split bench in 3rd row up into the middle if I want... also says so in my manual. Can't put the captains chairs in the third row though... I feel like I'm echoing here
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

I have a 2004 and my manual says that it can be done and even has pictures . Best thing to do is give it a try or visit your local dealership. They should be able to help you out.
    Amanda
    Mom to: B: 6 years | K: 3 years

Well it is very easy to move the bench up. It takes very little effort since it just rolls on the tracks. Lugging the captains chairs into the house is another story. I like it so far. There's still plenty of room for me to sit back there with him and still have enough legroom for a long ride. The only snag that I can see is if we ever need to transport 2 people I'll have to move his seat to the center lapbelt. It installs okay there but slightly trickier than outboard, plus I don't like having the RF tether off to the side, it makes the seat tilt a little. Oh, and I'd lose some butt room.

Lugging the captains chairs is easier than lugging the whole rear bench. Those things are HEAVY!! Glad it works well. I want to do the same when we go camping. That way I can squeeze in the middle if I need to tend to the kids. We went away for Christmas with just the captains chairs and no bench as we were loaded up with presents. We couldn't take the van anywhere with Grandma as we only had seating for 4. We had to use her little sedan instead.
    Amanda
    Mom to: B: 6 years | K: 3 years