Grand Caravan Owners

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
Have any of you ever tried taking the middle captains chairs out and moving the bench up to the middle? I'm thinking about doing this because A: It's much easier to install ds's Radian since I can twist the buckles down. And B: It sure makes for a lot more cargo room which is needed with camping season upon us. There's only the 3 of us so I'm not concerned about losing 2 seats. I know I could just take the bench out for the cargo room but I really like the install better on the bench. The manual is pretty vague but I'm reasonably sure it's do-able.

ADS

R&J'sMom

Have any of you ever tried taking the middle captains chairs out and moving the bench up to the middle? I'm thinking about doing this because A: It's much easier to install ds's Radian since I can twist the buckles down. And B: It sure makes for a lot more cargo room which is needed with camping season upon us. There's only the 3 of us so I'm not concerned about losing 2 seats. I know I could just take the bench out for the cargo room but I really like the install better on the bench. The manual is pretty vague but I'm reasonably sure it's do-able.

What year is your van? I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country (same van as the Grand Caravan) and we have the Stow N Go seats so this would not work for our van. However, in our previous van, a 2005 Dodge Caravan, we were able to swap out the 2nd & 3rd row benches. Let me know if it works.

libranbutterfly

I had a '91 grand caravan, and I don't think I could do that, the hooks in the floor didnt match up. I only had one door, though, so I had one captians seat out so I could reach my girls easiest. I say give it a shot if it will work for you :)

all together ooky

Yes, in my 2002 GC it is possible. Says so right in the manual. Plus, I had one of the sales guys do it for me just so I could see if it worked. The captains chairs cannot go in the third row though (not that I thought you were planning to do that).

I've heard of people making the van into a 8-seater by replacing the captians chairs with a third row bench too.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yep, my '03 can fit the 50/50 split bench in 3rd row up into the middle if I want... also says so in my manual. Can't put the captains chairs in the third row though... I feel like I'm echoing here :D ;)

Jumanji

I have a 2004 and my manual says that it can be done and even has pictures :). Best thing to do is give it a try or visit your local dealership. They should be able to help you out.

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
Well it is very easy to move the bench up. It takes very little effort since it just rolls on the tracks. Lugging the captains chairs into the house is another story.:) I like it so far. There's still plenty of room for me to sit back there with him and still have enough legroom for a long ride. The only snag that I can see is if we ever need to transport 2 people I'll have to move his seat to the center lapbelt. It installs okay there but slightly trickier than outboard, plus I don't like having the RF tether off to the side, it makes the seat tilt a little. Oh, and I'd lose some butt room.:D

Jumanji

Lugging the captains chairs is easier than lugging the whole rear bench. Those things are HEAVY!! Glad it works well. I want to do the same when we go camping. That way I can squeeze in the middle if I need to tend to the kids. We went away for Christmas with just the captains chairs and no bench as we were loaded up with presents. We couldn't take the van anywhere with Grandma as we only had seating for 4. We had to use her little sedan instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC