Question Toyota Prius 3 across

mlohry

We might be making a move that would require us to drive to see family more. We have an Ody, but not great gas mileage of course. We need to replace our other car, and are thinking of a Prius. My DH would have to drive back every weekend until we get us all moved, but we want something we can all fit into too for the occasional long trip.

We currently have one ERF in a MA 70, 6 year old in a HBTB and a 8 year old in an Amp. I would be willing to try other seats. We have a Scenera, but DD sleeps better in the MA for long trips. I would buy new boosters, maybe a lite rider, or 2 for my boys. We also have 2 of those old, never expire Evenflo right fit boosters, I know those worked in a weird 3 across I did in our van once.

Does anyone know for sure if the 2007 and new Prius all have side air bags?

ADS

creideamh

Yes they all have side airbags. My 2006 does, my brother's 2005 doesn't (I don't believe, could be wrong.) I'm going through a 3 across right now, the Radian should arrive on my doorstep today. I need to get 2 boosters back there as well, so I'll let you know how it goes later!

mlohry

creideamh said:
Yes they all have side airbags. My 2006 does, my brother's 2005 doesn't (I don't believe, could be wrong.) I'm going through a 3 across right now, the Radian should arrive on my doorstep today. I need to get 2 boosters back there as well, so I'll let you know how it goes later!

I am thinking that new Bubble Bum might be the answer to my prayers. My 8 year old could use that in the middle between the HB TB and the MA 70. Can't wait till they are available!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

creideamh

The Bubble Bum seems like it could work, but my problem is I need something NOW for the kids I'm watching this summer. :(

sirrahn

You should be able to get something to work. DH drives a 2010 Prius. I haven't put 3 seats back there, but there's plenty of room for DD2 in a Turbo, DD1 in a Literider and DS2 in the seatbelt and everyone can get buckled. DH has a long commute, and we've really appreciated the gas savings!

creideamh

Yeah, definitely couldn't get any of my boosters in. I have a CCO RF outboard driver's side for my LO, the XTSL FF in the middle that I'm pretty sure the 6 year old will fit in, and none of my boosters, either highback or lowback, (Olli, PSG, BK Sport, TB) for the 8 year old can get on the outboard passenger's side (or even the driver's side, which I also tried.) I also doubt the Literider will fit with the way it flares. So basically, I'm screwed. The 8 year old is heavy, but short, so I'm pretty sure she won't 5 step.

mlohry

Bummer, maybe switch them around, sometimes that works. I always think, whatever I don't think will work, works. That's always what happens with me anyway. I think the Bubblebum comes out mid June. Get on their email list by joining their Facebook UK page or register your email on their US website, I did both. Their customer service seems really nice too.

creideamh

I tried every combo I could think of :( 3 looong hours! RF XTSL for baby in any position, her bucket in any position, 2 boosters, 1 booster + XTSL, nada. I will get on their email list. Will it be sold in stores do you know? I next have the kids the 14th so I'll need to come up with something by then.

mlohry

creideamh said:
I tried every combo I could think of :( 3 looong hours! RF XTSL for baby in any position, her bucket in any position, 2 boosters, 1 booster + XTSL, nada. I will get on their email list. Will it be sold in stores do you know? I next have the kids the 14th so I'll need to come up with something by then.

That's crazy that none of those worked. Try a general search for the Prius on here, I know there were a few threads about 3 across. It sounded to me that you could get quite a few combos to work. Also try seat belt installs, you can push the seat closet to the door then.

I think the Bubblebum is coming to stores and Internet. I know on the UK site you can buy it directly from them. I would think specialty stores would be more likely to sell it.

leah82

mlohry said:
Bummer, maybe switch them around, sometimes that works. I always think, whatever I don't think will work, works. That's always what happens with me anyway. I think the Bubblebum comes out mid June. Get on their email list by joining their Facebook UK page or register your email on their US website, I did both. Their customer service seems really nice too.

Thank you!!

creideamh

Yep, I did seatbelt installs and pushed as far as I could, but the contours of the seats only allow me to go so far without the car seats being slanted. I did search, and from what I found most are with 2 RNs, which I just can't justify getting a second for only watching these girls this summer. The seat I need a booster on now gives me about 13 inches to work with, thanks to the contours (if they weren't there, I would DEFINITELY have found a combo by now.) I think I may just buy a Bubblebum now on Amazon UK. Both her mom and I are okay with it, and as much as I'd like to use a US seat, I'm just out of options (except for a vest, but I can't justify that much money either!) I found the width to be about 32cm, which is just under 13in.

The backseat of the Prius looks totally normal-sized without car seats in it, but man, when you try to stick them in...

mlohry

creideamh said:
Yep, I did seatbelt installs and pushed as far as I could, but the contours of the seats only allow me to go so far without the car seats being slanted. I did search, and from what I found most are with 2 RNs, which I just can't justify getting a second for only watching these girls this summer. The seat I need a booster on now gives me about 13 inches to work with, thanks to the contours (if they weren't there, I would DEFINITELY have found a combo by now.) I think I may just buy a Bubblebum now on Amazon UK. Both her mom and I are okay with it, and as much as I'd like to use a US seat, I'm just out of options (except for a vest, but I can't justify that much money either!) I found the width to be about 32cm, which is just under 13in.

The backseat of the Prius looks totally normal-sized without car seats in it, but man, when you try to stick them in...

I would do the same thing. I bet the bubble bum will be your answer. How heavy is the kid that will sit on it? My 8 year old is only 56 lbs so it would last us a long time. I would feel ok ordering the UK BB since they are coming here anyway.

creideamh

I would do the same thing. I bet the bubble bum will be your answer. How heavy is the kid that will sit on it? My 8 year old is only 56 lbs so it would last us a long time. I would feel ok ordering the UK BB since they are coming here anyway.

Exactly, since their website says it has already passed the US tests (although I'm still satisfied with all the different European countries' testing), I don't have many qualms about it. I went ahead and bought it, a little more expensive than buying here I assume, but I don't have the luxury of waiting around! The 8 year old is heavy, I'd guess 70 pounds. There are a bunch of different kids I tote around though, like my cousins, so it'll get plenty of use. :)

mlohry

creideamh said:
Exactly, since their website says it has already passed the US tests (although I'm still satisfied with all the different European countries' testing), I don't have many qualms about it. I went ahead and bought it, a little more expensive than buying here I assume, but I don't have the luxury of waiting around! The 8 year old is heavy, I'd guess 70 pounds. There are a bunch of different kids I tote around though, like my cousins, so it'll get plenty of use. :)

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking. I was curious with the shipping.

creideamh

How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking. I was curious with the shipping.

With shipping, it was 29.98 GBP. Amazon's conversion put that at 51.something, but I just used my CC in GBP instead of Amazon converting for me and it made it 49.something (haha sorry, I forget the exact cents!)

mlohry

That's not horrible, especially if it cures your issues! Post pics when you get it!! Send me a PM so I make sure I don't miss them. How long do you think it will take to get?

creideamh

That's not horrible, especially if it cures your issues! Post pics when you get it!! Send me a PM so I make sure I don't miss them. How long do you think it will take to get?

Will do! It says delivery estimate is between the 7th and 13th. Guess it depends on how quick the seller is to package it up :p

vamom

Weird. I have a 2007 prius and have been doing different 3 across for years. None with a rf seat though. Ds is in a britax husky, which is a HUGE seat, and I can get a backless turbo on each side. I also can get a radian 65 on each side. The radian does not install independently ff in the middle. I have used different boosters and convertibles over the years as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC