OnBoard 35 questions

andre149

My friend has decided to get this seat for the new babe. I know it's a really well liked seat, and I'm glad she decided to get a front adjust :)

I can't tell if the base is adjustable though. Is it? (for recline instead of pool noodles)

Are there for sure lockoffs on the newer models?

and a general "how is the install" would be great :)

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are 2 versions of the base. One is the "Basic" which has a 2 position recline and no lockoff. Because it's either all the way on or all the way off, if neither position is perfect for your car you have to put it off and use pool noodles/rolled towel instead. One is the "Deluxe" with a nicer recline and a lockoff. All the Air and some of the regular OB models come with the "Deluxe" base; the others come with the basic. The Deluxe base can also be purchased separately.

The install is generally pretty easy, not awful with the basic model but MUCH easier with the Deluxe base. :)

Cryssy Jane

Yes the base is adjustable. The last picture is the pull on the base to adjust the recline. The middle two pictures are the lockoff. I find it super easy to install, however if you are installing via seatbelt you have to make sure the seatbelt does not move up the lockoff or it'll get stuck and take extreme brut force to get the lockoff to open.

Eta this is the deluxe base from an onboard air.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The last one I checked at Target was, historically the base models under $100 have the basic base. But I haven't checked that specific print's base yet. The fact that it doesn't include the Deluxe base or "lockoff" in the description leads me to think it's definitely still the basic.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Deluxe base is on sale on Amazon right now if she wants to get it and use the regular one for an extra or whatever, BTW: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-onBoard-Deluxe-Infant/dp/B002U3XS9K"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st onBoard 35 Air Deluxe Infant Car Seat Base, Black: Baby[/ame]

Looking at that description it says "three position" adjustment, so I'm almost positive the other one is the basic.

andre149

That's what I was kind of thinking too... no big deal, just that she'll factor in the cost of a different base as well when deciding :) Thanks so much for all your help guys, I really appreciate it!

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I have the basic one, its adjustable but its odd. It's got a "foot" that fits inside the base, you have to pull it down and twist it 180 degrees to recline it.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC