Ever buy a carseat you don't need?

bnsnyde

I want a Recaro Prosport Harness to Booster. I just want one. In blue. I don't need it. I don't even have a place in either vehicle for it, nor in Nana's car. I just like it (mostly for its side-impact, having "kicked around" a bunch of seats). And our car has no side air bags.

Ever buy a seat you don't need? Please tell me why I should not get this.

Technically it would fill a need down the road a bit, maybe for that small period of time my kid is too tall for the Radian but before he moves into his Frontier 85. I know that is pathetic reasoning.

And maybe there would be some car he'd ride in at sometime, somewhere, that I could use it for. I think I just have buyer's remorse because I like it better than the Frontier 85, but b/c the Frontier lasts longer in harness, I went with that without really comparing them. All I saw was that the Frontier would last longest. But probably by the time he (age nearly 5)uses either full-time, something better will come along anyway. The Frontier is in the spare car now.

ADS

jjordan

It's a really nice seat. :) You could sell the frontier 85 if you wanted... or sell the radian, or both.

But it's a lot of money to spend on something that you don't need and can barely use. There are lots of seats out there that I would *like* to have but don't. Think of what else you could do with that money and see if a car seat is still at the top of the list. :)

Nisha

Yep... the ProSport! lol!

And it's a great seat. I really bought it because of the stupid seatbelts in our 99 suburban, and what a PAIN they are with the Radian. And I'm happy with the ProSport in there - I can get SUCH a great install with seatbelts!

christineka

I do i all the time. I hunt for great bargains, buy seats, try them out, then sell them for more:p (Sometimes I just sell for cost, though.)

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Umm... I currently have 12 car seats for 2 kids that aren't even biologically mine. You don't want my opinion, lol.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

NannyMom

That's why I now own a Frontier85 :eek: I love my True Fit Premiere. Sofi loves the TFP. We were plenty happy with the TFP. And now the TFP is in the trunk.

creideamh

Bahaha yes. I have one baby and 7 car seats. I really need to sell my FR85, but the others I'm so keeping. Oh, and technically I own 4 others that my cousins are all using, but they're a good 4 hours away from me so I can't just grab them.
I've also bought a few, tried em, and then sold them... maybe 4 or 5??

momtoo3

Yep, bought a ProSport a couple of weeks ago just because I am addicted to car seats. I intended to use it for ds2 now and ds3 in about a year but am selling it to someone tomorrow. I just don't have the love I thought I would for it. I don't like the open belt path for the seat belt installs and hate that it says not to use the top tether over 52 pounds. The seat belt left marks in ds2's back after only 20 minutes. I don't want to use LATCH because ds2 is about 47 ish pounds but went from 45-47 in less than 2 months and doen't appear to be slowing down. He is almost at the 48 pound limit for my van. He is also within an inch from the top harness height and only has about 1 1/2 inches left on the harness adjuster strap. No way could a 90 pound kid fit. If I would have bought it when he was smaller I'm sure I would have loved it but an glad I tried it with the seat belt right away. It really IS a nice seat but not a good fit for him.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yes. I just bought a FR80 from a local user on here. I wanted some Britax love. Did I need it? Not necessarily. I am nannying for a four and two year old this summer though, so if their parents let me drive them (doubtful), then I'll be able to use it.

PunkyMonkey

yep... I have 4 car seats that she fits in perfectly, just bought 2 of them in the last month just to have. Also they were on sale :) if I'm not buying car seats I'm buying cute clothes or other stuff we dont need.. so do whatever makes you :D

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Kind of. I bought a Coccoro when the Safety 1st Avenue would have worked just fine for what I needed. But someone asked to buy my Radian, I sold the Avenue as well, and I bought the Coccoro with those monies.

I'm VERY likely to buy a Bubble Bum in the next couple of weeks. Again, do we need it? No. We have a Graco Turbo backless, a Cosco High Rise, and a Harmony Lite Rider. But the Bubble Bum will be awesome for travel.

I bought a RSTV for use for travel rather than continue to use Piper's Radian, or use a booster. I wanted it. We needed something for travel, and that worked well, but I didn't NEED it. I sold it to a friend when Piper outgrew it.

Wendy

kathysr98

Yep. Just paid for a prosport on swap yesterday. I have a 29lb 3yo. I have 6 other seats, all convertibles she fits in rf. It's completely crazy that I just bought a ff seat, but I *had* to do it. It was causing me to lose my mind thinking about it. Now, having bought it, I'll have to argue with my mother on a regular basis about turning dd in her car. I should slap myself fir having done it!

bnsnyde

You CAN'T top tether past 52 lbs? If so, then my problem is solved! I don't want it at all.

At least the Frontier 85 tethers to the bitter end, I think. Actually requires it at 65 lbs.

I thought tethering was always safer, just in case. What is wrong with the Prosport? Huh.

Last edited:
Sigh...all the time. I have one almost 7 year old and a variety of harness seats to backless boosters because I always want to try the new ones out. Payton doesn't mind the switching because she always gets to voice her opinion and I alwayss make sure the seats are pink. She has finally put her foot down about "trying out" a new harnessed seat though because she feels it is not cool enough since most of her friends ride in nothing. I do buy them for great deals and sell them for more, or at least break even.

Angela

Ummm, yeah. :) I was just telling my DH that I'm coveting the Orbit baby and toddler seat right now. I have an almost 6 year old and won't be watching many kids anymore, so there's really no need for either one. I keep telling myself I could use it for baby #2, if it ever happens, but I already have an infant seat and 4 convertibles, plus 2 combos and 2 boosters. Maybe I can sell a few off and think about it when/if I get pregnant.

cookie123

I'm cheap so that helps. I did buy the $12 harmony which may never be used, at least not soon. But it's better to be prepared right?

rodentranger

I have three infant seats and no infants with no plans to have another infant. :eek: I have 8 harnessed seats and a booster for two kids. They do ride in 4 different cars in any given week, but three of those cars live with me.
Buy it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC