Question A slightly stupid one... aftermarket seat cover

PunkyMonkey

Mostly because I have been searching to make sure it doesn't already exist and can't seem to find exactly what I am asking.

Aftermarket seat covers... what is the deal with these things?

We got a Scenera for a backup seat and I was just thinking out load the other day that the cover was hideous and I see what people meant on here by it not being very cushioned at all, its hard as a rock (or a plastic seat lol).

Soooo, loving dh was at walmart the other day and saw this Goldbug seat cover: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goldbug-Car-Seat-Cover-and-Cushion/16326920 and bought it.

So I put it on her Scenera just to see how it worked and it is very simple design, its thin, doesn't obstruct anything at all and I could get the harness tight and snug and she seemed to be fine.

Just so you all know, we have never used this seat, this is in my living room and it has never even been sat in prior to this moment lol (just putting that out there so I dont get yelled at ;P).

249446_10150267565175269_612315268_9647500_402448_n.jpg

So my question is why are they so bad? What makes this "unsafe"? I told dh we would probably have to return it but just want to better understand why these are not ideal to use.

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Re: A slightly stupid one...

Car seat covers are fire retardant. Aftermarket covers are not. You also have no way of knowing if the additional padding can compress and result in your child being ejected from the seat in the event of a crash. Dorel says to not use aftermarket products in their seats and doing so will void your warranty. I personally would not use it.

Pixels

:yeahthat: Also, that aftermarket cover does not have the required labeling, and on a seat that actually has foam, does not prevent the child from getting to the foam, breaking off chunks, and eating (or choking on) them. It sounds silly, but the foam thing actually happened and triggered a recall.

Our curriculum no longer refers to "aftermarket" products. They are all, simply, "unregulated."

Kat_Momof3

and it goes around the straps (in addition to what everyone else says), so I'm sure it makes a difference in SOME way.

PunkyMonkey

Thanks everyone! I will return it, no big deal I just was curious to know the exact reason! As for the cute pink one, I agree! Its just that we have always tried to buy everything gender neutral so (even though I :love: buying baby gear) we dont have to replace everything if we have a boy next!!

I did see on Dorel's website where they list all the products under cosco convertibles there is a Green and black scenera cover there. I think I might call them and see if I can buy that cover! :)

Jessica61624

MadisonsMommy said:
Thanks everyone! I will return it, no big deal I just was curious to know the exact reason! As for the cute pink one, I agree! Its just that we have always tried to buy everything gender neutral so (even though I :love: buying baby gear) we dont have to replace everything if we have a boy next!!

I did see on Dorel's website where they list all the products under cosco convertibles there is a Green and black scenera cover there. I think I might call them and see if I can buy that cover! :)

The covers cost more than the seat!
Seriously they are $42 plus shipping.

PunkyMonkey

Omg! I'd rather buy the green and black seat and give this brand new one away to someone in need than pay that much for just a cover on a scenera!!! Lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC