Question What type of seat belt do you find makes for the easiest installation?

Brianna

I usually only install in my Cavalier with the center lap belt (lightweight locking latchplate and very easy), but for fun I tried installing in a Scion xD with sliding latchplates and a switchable retractor, all shoulder belts, and it was nearly impossible for me to do!

Does the type of latchplate/ lap vs. shoulder generally make for an easier installation in your experience?

ADS

Keeanh

If we're talking about seats without built-in lockoffs, then locking latchplates hands-down.

Brianna

I hadn't even considered lock-offs, I've never had the pleasure of playing with a seat with them :(

christineka

1st choice- locking at retractor. Second choice, lap-only. It all depends on buckle stalks, though. I find the locking latchplate shoulder belts to be difficult to tighten because they want to lock while I'm threading the belt through the path.

Keeanh

1st choice- locking at retractor. Second choice, lap-only. It all depends on buckle stalks, though. I find the locking latchplate shoulder belts to be difficult to tighten because they want to lock while I'm threading the belt through the path.

They're supposed to lock at the angle they're at while going through the belt path. Try pulling a bunch on slack into the "lap" part of the belt before threading through the belt path. Grasp the buckle around the locking bar so that the belt doesn't retract before you put the buckle in. Once you start threading, the slack should stay in the lap portion.

babyherder

My volvo belts with the childseat mode. Slide a button and you're set. No angles or checking to make sure anything locks or locking clips or anything else.

sunnymw

Lightweight locking latch plates like I had in my Durango. That's the ONE thing I miss about it.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Car-Seat.Org... please excuse typos and autocorrect!!

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I'm just so use to sliding latch plate with locking shoulder retracted, it takes me 10 seconds to install seats with them, lol.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

Pixels

1st choice - Lap/shoulder with LWLLP
2nd choice - Lap-only with heavy duty locking latchplate
3rd choice - Lap/shoulder with sliding latchplate and switchable retractor
4th choice - Lap-only with locking retractor

Kat_Momof3

exactly as pixels said, but with the last two reversed... I found the lap only with locking retractor a bit easier.

Pixels

Do I have a heavy duty locking latchplate?

If you have a lap-only belt with a tail that you pull to tighten, then that is a heavy duty locking latchplate. You only see the lightweight ones on lap-shoulder belts because if the locking portion of the latchplate breaks in a crash, that's fine because the retractor will be locked at the shoulder. With a lap-only, it's not an option for the latchplate to break.

MommaWhitney

I prefer locking retractor w/ sliding latch plate becuse thats what I have in my van, dh has in his car, and both grandparents have in thier cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Locking latch plates. Seriously I will take those ANYDAY over locking retractors.

CarSeatSafetyMom

CPST Instructor
1st choice - Lap-only w/ locking latchplate (Center of my Back Seat)
2nd choice - Lap/shoulder w/ sliding latchplate and switchable retractor
3rd choice - Lap-only w/ locking retractor
4th choice - Lap/shoulder w/ Locking Latchplate (my Front Pass. Seat)
5th choice - Lap/shoulder w/ LWLLP
6th choice - Lap/shoulder w/ ELR and a Locking Clip (Outboard in my back seat)

Yes, my car has 3 different types of locking mechanisms. I just wish that the Locking Latchplates were in the outboard rear seats instead of the outboard front seats! Yes, my Drivers' seat belt has a locking latchplate! :confused:

APmama2MAK

1 Lap only with locking retractor
2 Lap/shoulder with sliding latchplate and switchable retractor
3 Lap/shoulder with LWLLP
4 Lap/shoulder with Locking Latchplate
5 Lap only with locking latchplate
6 Lap/shoulder with ELR and a Locking Clip

copied and edited carseatsafetymoms text :)

jaded

Lap belt with locking latchplate
lap/shoulder with locking latchplate
lap/shoulder with switchable retractor
lap with switchable retractor(hate hate HATE these for carseat installations)

That's about all I've dealt with in my personal vehicles, and I'm currently battling the switchable retractor in my husband's Explorer, as it is pulling the RA50(installed forward facing) up at a slight angle. I'm sure I'll have to do a locking clip(which, if I must say, I am an expert at! LOL)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC