links to the dangers of compression

teekadog

Okay, the thread on loosening/tightening every time or not got me thinking. Can you please list some links or references so I can see actual data of the danger of bulky clothes compressing in an accident?

ADS

skaterbabs

Carseatmom is a tech in Indiana (IIRC) and during her tech class she was shown an image of a child's snowsuit buckled into an infant seat. The parents were in a crash and the baby was ejected from the seat, but the snowsuit remained.

To test if your child's clothing is too bulky:
  • buckle the child into the seat while wearing the clothing/coat and tighten harness as usual.
  • Remove child from seat without loosening the harness.
  • Remove the heavy clothing and rebuckle the child in the seat.

The slack that is left in the harness is how much slack there will be in a crash. The rule of thumb is nothing thicker than a blanket sleeper.

teekadog

Thank you. I know it's dangerous, I know the guidelines, I follow every one of them. I was just wondering about links to actual data. How has this phenomenom been tested? Has it been tested? Is it all anecdotal? I'm not doubting the common sense, but want to know the science, if any.

skaterbabs

Honestly, I'm not aware of any studies. It's a common sense issue. Ever use one of those "space bag" things? You use your vacuum to cuck the air out of the bag and big bulky colthing/bedding/coats/whatever gets REALLY flat. Same principle.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
On the other hand... most seats are installed and used incorrectly... who's to say a diligent parent who tightens the harness snugly even over a snowsuit is risking their child to ejection, really?

Just thinking out loud, don't mind me... where's our test bench so we can whip that dummy into a big down parka and see if he stays in his seat...?

:)

teekadog

On the other hand... most seats are installed and used incorrectly... who's to say a diligent parent who tightens the harness snugly even over a snowsuit is risking their child to ejection, really?

Just thinking out loud, don't mind me... where's our test bench so we can whip that dummy into a big down parka and see if he stays in his seat...?

:)

This is exactly what I mean. I once saw a family in the grocery store, the young infant was swaddled and buckled in a 3-pt infant seat. And they left her like that when they drove away :eek: I can imagine the same scenario replaced with an infant snowsuit-- you know how hard it is to judge if tiny arms and legs are all properly positioned in thick clothes-- add that to a too loose harness and you've got a flying baby.

I'm often accused of being too paranoid. My 4yo still rear faces. I won't fly on a plane unless my kids are in car seats. I tighten the harness *every time* I buckle them. But people REALLY roll their eyes over my worry about thick clothes. And I've got no stats to back me up. Am I going too far? Have I been suckered by a few tragic anecdotes?

So what's the protocal to submit something to Mythbusters???

Loves2sing

So what's the protocal to submit something to Mythbusters???

What a great idea!!! If we could get Mythbusters to do a show on carseats where they do their own crash testing, how many people would learn valuable information? I wonder if you could contact them through TLC? And suggest to them that they get a guest CPST in to help them disprove or prove these "theories" Awesome idea!:thumbsup:

mommycat

Great idea - did anyone do this? Would they be more likely to do it if we all subbed the same idea? :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC