Does this sound good?

mommyfrog

My 6yo is going on a field trip and they asked for parent drivers. Being a car seat ummmm......nut, I don't want my dd riding in some else's car in who knows what or nothing. So of course I volunteered to drive and take a few kids with me. I have a 1994 Suburban and here's my plan. Third row-2 Regents outboard tethered (the only tethering options in the car). Second row-Nauti behind driver, RadianXT in center, and Monterey on the sliding seat. I haven't actually checked yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to slide the seat forward with the Radian ff there. It's rf right now. I also thought I might pick up a couple of Harmony backless boosters at Walmart this weekend, just in case there are kids who need to borrow them and they would be nice just to have around for emergency purposes. Sound like a good plan?

ADS

Mom2FiveGirls

Are they asking kids to bring a car seat or booster seat? If so, most kids will probably bring their own. I don't know that I'd have so many installed seats. I'd install one for your daughter and maybe one more and let the kids use their own booster seats. The majority of 6 year olds can properly use a booster seat. The only problem I can think of is if there are not enough headrests or lap and shoulder belts in your vehicle. I know, personally, I'd want my child to use her own seat...especially if I didn't know you and didn't know that you're a nut too and you use/take care of your seats properly :)

mommyfrog

I would say a good majority of the kids ride the bus to school and I don't think they will be bringing their boosters with them. I could always call the teacher and ask what they do in this situation. If they are going to bring their own I can still fit as many kids if they have high back boosters. I can use the Radian for my dd so I'd still have four lap/shoulder belt spots. But then if they are bringing their own, I doubt they are dragging high backs around!! I guess I better call the teacher tomorrow and see what she says.

mommyfrog

I talked to the teacher this morning and she said she is sending a note home today saying all the kids will need to be in car seats or boosters. I told her I'm a car seat tech and that I have 4 seats that will harness to 65 and 80 pounds and one high back booster that will all fit in my car at once. I told her they have never been in a crash, had the harnesses washed, or anything else that would make them unsafe in any way. So she could tell parents who's children are riding with me. She sounded excited. At first she said she thought they had enough drivers and I could come along and drive my dd if I wanted, but after I told her that she said she would definitely sign me up as a driver(I have to fill out a form of some kind, probably like a driving background clearance).

I'm sure there will be at least one or two kids who show up with no booster even with the note being sent home anyway. My sister had that experience last year when her ds was in first grade. They wanted her to just take the kid with no car seat in her car anyway and she refused to. They found a teacher with a booster in her car and borrowed it!! But the child said they never rode in a booster and was only 6 years old.

Mom2FiveGirls

I talked to the teacher this morning and she said she is sending a note home today saying all the kids will need to be in car seats or boosters. I told her I'm a car seat tech and that I have 4 seats that will harness to 65 and 80 pounds and one high back booster that will all fit in my car at once. I told her they have never been in a crash, had the harnesses washed, or anything else that would make them unsafe in any way. So she could tell parents who's children are riding with me. She sounded excited. At first she said she thought they had enough drivers and I could come along and drive my dd if I wanted, but after I told her that she said she would definitely sign me up as a driver(I have to fill out a form of some kind, probably like a driving background clearance).

I'm sure there will be at least one or two kids who show up with no booster even with the note being sent home anyway. My sister had that experience last year when her ds was in first grade. They wanted her to just take the kid with no car seat in her car anyway and she refused to. They found a teacher with a booster in her car and borrowed it!! But the child said they never rode in a booster and was only 6 years old.

That sounds great :) If you have extra backless boosters, I'd bring those along as well just in case another kid needs them.

When DD1 and DD2 were going to a charter school, they'd have parent drive on field trips and all the drivers had to give the school a copy of their license, proof of insurance, and I think they'd check their driving record.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC