What seats would you use in this truck?

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
DH bought a 1995 GMC Sierra and it's now our "camping" vehicle. Kids will be in it 3-4 times a year. No top tethers and no ability to retrofit (I have already checked the LATCH manual and called the dealership. The belts do have locking latchplates, with lap/shoulder belts outboard, and lap belt in the center. There is a backseat, but it's quite small and there is very little head excursion room. Headrests are small and stuck, I can't raise them anymore. No airbag in the front passenger seat. It's clearly not the "best" in terms of car seat compatibility, but it's what I have to work with.

Kids are:
Ninja - 6.5 years old, 45lbs with 16in torso. Typically harnessed, but is a good booster rider.
Gambit - 4.5, 38lbs with 15in torso. Cannot sit in a booster yet.
Rocket - 12 months, 21lbs with 11.5ish inch torso. RF'ing, obviously.

I have many seats available. Nautilus (x2), ProSport, RA50, CCO, Turbo, Harmony Dreamtime, Avenue, Scenera, and I can borrow my SIL's XTSL if I needed.

I was thinking, Nauti in the center (good HE numbers with no tether and there is HE room between the front seats) CCO driver's side (tethered RF'ing since there is a glass "wall" on the back), but I can't decide what/who to put on the passenger side. There is so little room between the backseat and the front seat and lack of HE space concerns me. I could put a booster or harnessed seat there for Ninja and move the front seat up as far as possible (no airbag for me to worry about). But, I still think he's going to hit the front seat if we are in an accident. :( I may try to fit the RN in there RF'ing, but I don't hold out too much hope as the backseats are very flat. I don't think I'll be able to get it upright enough. Though I guess I can forcefully brace since I don't have an airbag at all on the passenger side, let alone, advanced airbags.

I am willing to buy any seats to make this work. My condition to DH was that I have the right to buy whatever seats neccessary so that I feel comfortable with the kids in the car. He's been wanting a "camping" truck for YEARS, so that was our compromise.

Can you PLEASE help me think this through :love:

ADS

APmama2MAK

I have the same truck but a couple years older. I can fit anything Ive tried in there. 3 true fits all facing the same way, myrides, radians, prosports uhh obviously infant seats...I can fit Radians rfing in every position and still have taller passengers (my seat is always up further than the passenger seat because Im short)

If I were you Id probably put the forward facing child in the middle because the issue I find in my truck is that forward facing kiddos dont have much leg room unless their knees bend at the edge or over the edge, if there is a space between the front 2 seats he could have some knee/leg room there.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I'll definitely try the RN and see how that goes. There's no issue about the 3-across, I'm more concerned about front to back room.

I didn't think about the TFP. I so wish it had a 40lb RF limit on it! Since Rocket already has RF'ing seats that he fits in and that I can tether, I don't know that I'd get a TF. Hmmm...what to do...

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Were you thinking about putting a kid up front? Wasn't sure because of what you were talking about with the front seat. The front passenger seat belt is a sewn belt (if I remember right). We have owned this truck before also.

We had ra or nania airways at the time, can't remember for sure. Its been at least 5y since we had this truck.

I doubt the nautilus will work. It needs to be 100% on the seat. The turbo has the same rule.

I would try the cco tethered for the baby. I like rf tether especially when close to the glass. Prosport or aveune for middle kiddo. And prosport or turbo for oldest. Or the radian for either of the oldest.

I have personnal issues with ff a untethered ra, because of the Canada testing of britax seats. The scerena might not work well ff. Sometimes the seat doesn't sit on short seats well. The front lip is over the front of the seat.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

Pixels

What about an RSTV for one of the bigs in an outboard seat. With no seat behind pushing the child forward, it leaves the maximum room possible for head excursion.

My first choice would be RF the 4yo in the Radian, if it will fit. Then there's no concern about head excursion.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I doubt the nautilus will work. It needs to be 100% on the seat. The turbo has the same rule.

No, Graco recently changed it, it's 80% in harnessed mode only.

What about turning Gambit back RF in the XTSL? Then you only have to worry about the HE room for one kiddo. How far will you be driving in the truck, could Ninja go backless? That moves him back several inches and gives him that much more HE room.

ETA: Somehow I missed Pixels' post -- RSTV is a great idea, and I see we thought alike about the XTSL.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
Great idea about the RSTV! And I already own one :)

Campsite is about 1 1/2 hours away with most of the driving on state highways.

I thought about putting a kid in the front seat, but I would have to use a BSC with the sewn latchplate with an ELR belt. I don't want to have to deal with that. Plus, that puts me in the backseat and I can't adjust the headrests high enough for me. I do allow Ninja to sit up there in a booster when it's just he and DH in the truck. It provides a lot more HE room than in the back.

I'll try the radian RF first. If that doesn't work I'll move to the RSTV. Ninja *can* ride backless, though I'd much prefer that he not. He's quite small and I'm just not comfortable with it unless it's an emergency, especially if he is sitting outboard. Thanks for your help ladies. Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of?

APmama2MAK

Well, besides the fact Id rather sit in the front and have the seats in the back seat, my front passenger seat has an ALR belt and its 5 years older...thats odd lol

babygirlsmom1005

We have a little earlier model (90 & 91, same trucks). I can get the Scenera in RF'ing but not FF'ing. The Radians go in like a dream RF'ing, they will also go FF'ing, just takes a little effort. I haven't done other seats you have listed.

Other seats I have done back there is the Generations 65, TFP (rear facing with headrest off) and there is another, but it is slipping my mind right now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC