Orbit seats

Angela

Anyone have one of them? Someone brought them up on a FB group and it got me thinking about them. I love the looks of them, price isn't so pretty though. What can I say, I'm addicted to car seats. :) Anyway, anyone have one and what do you think of it?

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I was loading DS in to his seat at the pedi's office a couple of weeks ago and someone pulled in next to me and they had their baby in the Orbit infant seat. I stared, I couldn't help myself. She probably thought I was a nut job. I did manage not to drool :p. I would love to play with one of those seats.

bnsnyde

I saw one today for the first time on, I think, Diapers.com. I stopped and clicked b/c it looked so different, kind of neat. Knowing nothing about it or its safety/ease of use, I can't comment.

But reading that it's made of non-toxic stuff (like the fabric that touches baby), seemed to account for why it's over $300.

Would I have bought it had I known about it over the Chaperone? Good chance yes b/c I worry about the toxins in carseats. I honestly didn't think about that when I bought my seat. Of course, it would have to have been rated highly in other categories, too.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I helped with an install with the Orbit infant seat at my tech exam ... I don't really remember much of the specifics because it was kind of a crazy day, but I'm pretty meh about it... the concept is cool but spending that kind of money on an infant seat that only lasts a year or so is pretty dumb to me. And the toddler seat only RF to 35 sooo there are WAY better ways to spend your money IMO.

morninglori

At my tech class on of the students works for Orbit and brought in two seats (infant and toddler) that I was able to play with in class - on the bench. They are really nice seats.

Angela

I was loading DS in to his seat at the pedi's office a couple of weeks ago and someone pulled in next to me and they had their baby in the Orbit infant seat. I stared, I couldn't help myself. She probably thought I was a nut job. I did manage not to drool :p. I would love to play with one of those seats.

You should've asked if you could play with it. ;) I was able to touch the infant seat it at a conference I went to last month, but didn't have time to play with it. I really wish I could've. It looks like the measurements on it are very similar to the Snugride 32/35. I love the deep sides, color, material, and the cool carrying handle. Plus it looks like the base is pretty easy to install (in theory). It's really pricey, but at $400 and you get 1 year use out of it, that's about $30/month. Not bad, about the price of cable or daily lattes. :)
The toddler seat doesn't sound great though, of course that's just reading the reviews on amazon (which I NEVER trust on car seats).
I'd love to hear from anyone who's played more with it. :)

opheliajoy

Angela said:
It's really pricey, but at $400 and you get 1 year use out of it, that's about $30/month. Not bad, about the price of cable or daily lattes. :)
Nothing new to add for OP, but I had to ask where are you finding lattes for $1!!!!
:p Weekly lattes, maybe! (ok, I'll stop!, but o couldn't resist)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have one but I've installed a few. Nice seats--very different. Neat from a novelty standpoint but not worth the $$, IMO. My friend who works at a stroller store said the stroller isn't very good.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Actually, the Toddler seat is one of the Blog's recommended seats :thumbsup:. Concept seats are always going to be higher priced because they are unique in a sea of meh. Orbit CS has always been top notch, their dedication to green products is again, unique, especially if you have an allergic child, and they've had a record of conservatism regarding their products (look how long it took them to certify the infant seat to 30 lbs.).

Now that the infant seat is at a realistic 30 lbs., I don't think the price is that far out of the ballpark anymore. Neither the infant seat nor the toddler seat are lightweight seats, but that's why they have that handy stroller with the docking system. I was never a stroller geek, so I can't compare strollers that well, but it was way more maneuverable than my Century travel system was :p.

mrscompumike

I have the toddler seat. it goes to 50 pounds and my son still fits in it at 6 years 7 months. He thinks it is so cool and loves the canopy for sun shade. Can post pictures. My seat has bars that hook to the side of the seat if it is used without the base. It is a really heavy seat though. The reason I have it is because I get it from someone on Craigslist. I do love the cover so much.

Angela

opheliajoy said:
Nothing new to add for OP, but I had to ask where are you finding lattes for $1!!!!
:p Weekly lattes, maybe! (ok, I'll stop!, but o couldn't resist)

Yeah, I thought about that after posting it. Weekly is definitely more likely. :)

Angela

mrscompumike said:
I have the toddler seat. it goes to 50 pounds and my son still fits in it at 6 years 7 months. He thinks it is so cool and loves the canopy for sun shade. Can post pictures. My seat has bars that hook to the side of the seat if it is used without the base. It is a really heavy seat though. The reason I have it is because I get it from someone on Craigslist. I do love the cover so much.

How tall is your son's torso? Could you post some pics with your son in it? Also, FYI, we don't recommend buying/using seats that you don't know the history for.

Kobain's Mommy

I'm not a huge fan of them. I saw 2 a couple weeks ago and honestly wasn't all that impressed. Yeah it looks diffrent, but for the price I could get some meh seats and other stuff for DS.

canadiangie

The issue I have with the Orbit system is the heavy marketing towards simply docking baby onto a frame, rather than removing baby from the CAR seat and laying baby in the stroller. I don't think I've ever seen an Orbit stroller with the stroller seat attached. It's always baby, still in car seat, no human contact, parents quite content to be seen with their 'system'.

The first time I ever worked with an Orbit seat involved me carrying the seat (mom carried the base) from her front door, down the block to where she had parked. I am strong and I am a determined person. I barely made it, and I'm not being dramatic. The seat is extremely heavy. There is no question in my mind that you would need to dock it to make it anywhere.

So here's the thing. Since it's a modular system you Ned to bring the stroller frame and optional stroller seat in your vehicle when you go out. But who's really going to do that? Why not just leave baby in car seat and dock it, kwim?And that extends to the toddler car seat stage too. Why bring stroller seat? Just dock toddler seat. And all of a sudden kid is 4 years old and has almst literally gone from car in car seat docked on frame for 4 years straight.

In terms of installation? Yeah, it's like butter. Nice seat to work with. No concerns.

It's the concept behind Orbit that bothers me.

/please excuse typos, I'm on my phone, and I'm tired/

canmom

:yeahthatlove: to everything Angie said. I'm not crazy about how the entire seems to inadvertently advocates keeping baby/toddler in car seat 24/7. Isn't there also a rocker type thing you can buy to dock your infant seat on?

I ran into one particular family three times the first 1.5 years of their sons life and each and every time baby was in infant seat or toddler car seat (illegally brought into Canada). :(

aisraeltax

a friend of mine has one and loves it. i personally wouldn't buy it b/c i dont think it lasts long enough. however, she has an Element and she said it is one of the few seats that she can rear face her son in.

there was a recent group on FB that decided it was simply stupid to purchase one. i think to each their own..if it tickles your fancy, then buy one. :) I left the group over that discussion b/c it seems they are more about talking about other people than focusing on car seat safety. too bad, bc this groups FB page isn't very active, and i like to chat about car seats :)

btw, my friend is very AP, so i know for a fact her son gets held a lot and the car seat is just for the car. she is a big babywearer.

Angela

a friend of mine has one and loves it. i personally wouldn't buy it b/c i dont think it lasts long enough. however, she has an Element and she said it is one of the few seats that she can rear face her son in.

there was a recent group on FB that decided it was simply stupid to purchase one. i think to each their own..if it tickles your fancy, then buy one. :) I left the group over that discussion b/c it seems they are more about talking about other people than focusing on car seat safety. too bad, bc this groups FB page isn't very active, and i like to chat about car seats :)

btw, my friend is very AP, so i know for a fact her son gets held a lot and the car seat is just for the car. she is a big babywearer.

That post on the fb group was the one that got me thinking about it. Plus I just saw one last month at a conference, but didn't get to play with it. Thanks for all the input. I won't do anything until #2 is on the way, but I'd like to try this seat out, just for the fun of it. I'm sure there will be other cool ones out by that time too. So, we'll see.

christineka

:yeahthatlove: to everything Angie said. I'm not crazy about how the entire seems to inadvertently advocates keeping baby/toddler in car seat 24/7. Isn't there also a rocker type thing you can buy to dock your infant seat on?

I ran into one particular family three times the first 1.5 years of their sons life and each and every time baby was in infant seat or toddler car seat (illegally brought into Canada). :(

I don't think orbit is the only seat that allows for this type of "misuse". Most of the car seats have travel system strollers to go with them. The bigger the seat, the longer it can be used with the stroller. Graco even has a swing for use with the car seat.

I'm intrigued by the toddler seat. It is as tall as the nautilus it seems.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC