smallest seat front-to-back for 0-6 mo?

teekadog

Title says it all, but I'll un-condense. (That is to say expand.)

What car seat takes up the least amount of front-to-back room for ages 0-6 months or so? Taking into account recline angle needed for that age group, etc.

Thanks!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I believe it's gonna be the combi coccoro... because the seat isn't what gives the 45* angle, it's a foam wedge insert... and of course, not needing a base, and being low profile... it fits preemies well, too.

teekadog

Bucket or convertible?

Either. Space is really the biggest issue. DH and I were talking about the true-life feasibility of those big convertibles. I argue they save money, he argues they make sitting in the front seat hell for several months.

KaiLing

Either. Space is really the biggest issue. DH and I were talking about the true-life feasibility of those big convertibles. I argue they save money, he argues they make sitting in the front seat hell for several months.

Big convertibles as opposed to smaller convertibles? Or as opposed to bucket seats? The day the snugride got swapped out for the Radian was the day we lost the front seat. Then the MyRide (wide but not deep in our car, go figure) gave us it back.

teekadog

We had little front room when we had a MA reclined to 45 degrees. Then life was livable with it more upright. Then we moved to a Radian and it's... okay. So far I can use a TFP or a Baby Trend bucket for the next kid, but at 45 degrees they take up more room than the rfing Radian. And there's NO WAY we could fit a Radian reclined for a newborn. I don't want to get any new seats, but dh says he just can't fit in the car if we squeeze in another rfer. So I'm playing with options in my head.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The True Fit without the headrest is small front to back. So is the Coccoro. Otherwise convertibles will probably take up more space for a newborn. But probably not more than an infant seat.

Wendy

teekadog

What I've found with the TFP installed w/out the headrest but reclined for a newborn is that it takes up even more room than anything else we've tried. Because of where the top of the TFP sticks out in that case, we have to push the entire front seat forward, rather than just give up some seatback recline. Then my dh actually couldn't fit in the front. Which is why I'm looking for even smaller :(

Spam

the coccoro is really very small, but will last the average kiddo to 2 yrs at least. Here's a pic of it compared to the tfp. The front seats are in the same position, part way back.

cco0003.jpg

cco0002.jpg

cco0004.jpg

teekadog

Yeah, those pics kind of cinch it. I love what I've seen/experienced of the TFP, but dh simply doesn't fit with it reclined for a newborn. Off to track down a CCO to try now that they can be rf tethered...

My kids are smaller, so this would probably last #4 until #3 outgrows rfing in the Radian... then #3 could take #1's harnessed seat and I could buy a booster that would last through all the kids... that would satisfy my frugal nature...

Thank you to everyone!

skipspin

The CCO may last a while for you. My DS1 fit in the CCO Rfing till around three. (I never used it for him, though, just tested it.) He outgrew it RF by height and weight at the same time. He fit FFing till 4ish, but I didn't really like the seat FF.

My DS2 has been in it since around 6 weeks and is 26 months. It's his primary seat. I'm hoping he fits RFing until he's 3.75 when I'll need it for #4. (He'll either for RFing in a RN or MA, or FFing in a Nauti at that point. I haven't decided.)

They are both shorter and didn't gain much weight after 8/9 months when they were super-duper chubby.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC