Securing feeding tube pump in car

fyrfightermomma

Mods feel free to move to correct area

After all the projectile talk lately I realized E's pump is always unsecured in the car. That could do some damage not to mention rip out her feeding tube if it went flying. Right now it sits next to her car seat and just lays there. Sophia is right next to her so no room between seats to buckle it or anything. No seat in front of her to secure it to(that seat is stowed)

ANy ideas?

ADS

momtotwogirls

Hmm maybe like an oxygen tank mount. i know they make them for cars and they bolt into like the side of the car. What does the feeding tank look like?(sorry if thats a dumb question.)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have heard to put a strap around the front seat and use a carabiner to secure the pump to the strap.

ETA if that seat is stowed, I have no idea.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

fyrfightermomma

Hmm maybe like an oxygen tank mount. i know they make them for cars and they bolt into like the side of the car. What does the feeding tank look like?(sorry if thats a dumb question.)

The pump isn't exposed. It's a small pump like an IV pump and a bag of formula inside a small backpack attached with tubing to her. So it's the little backpack we have to secure

yeah, anaurora, thats the only solution i've heard of but she has no seat there.

Hmmm

TerisBoys

So it's a backpack similar to what Menfusse's E wears?

Is there anything on the floor you could get a D-ring around near her seat? Then a caribeaner connecting backpack to D-ring? It would still have SOME give in the car, but not go flying if something happened.

fyrfightermomma

So it's a backpack similar to what Menfusse's E wears?

Is there anything on the floor you could get a D-ring around near her seat? Then a caribeaner connecting backpack to D-ring? It would still have SOME give in the car, but not go flying if something happened.

Its actually the same backpack, pump and bag. :)

I'll look. No idea if there is anything. Don't suppose there is a way to secure it to the booster itself is there?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Duct tape?? Just kidding. :p

Where is the seat belt in relationship to the side of the booster where you want to hang the pump backpack? It sounds as if she's outboard, with a sib next to her in the center. I'd be worried that the pump would interfer with the seat belt.

What about securing to the back of the vehicle seat she's in? I'm visualizing a portable DVD player that is strapped to the seat back: strap/belt(s) buckled around seat back and enough carabiners to clip backpack onto the strap(s) as if it was being worn.

Is there something you could secure it to at the base of her vehicle seat? Here, I'm thinking of a fabric loop around the base of the seat like the d ring for a RFing tether. Clip carabiner to D ring.

sweetfeet

So is this a van with legs under her seat? Could you use an old britax or SK d-ring and carabiner clip the bag to that? I just clipped it to the headrest of the seat in front of, or I guess behind really because he was RF, when we had an infinity and bag. If you have an infinity the floor might work well since it doesn't need gravity to work.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you list vehicle, car seats, and everyone who rides in the car on a regular basis? How far can the pump go away from her, and any directional needs? I'd like to help you figure this out, even if it means rearranging seats. :)

fyrfightermomma

So is this a van with legs under her seat? Could you use an old britax or SK d-ring and carabiner clip the bag to that? I just clipped it to the headrest of the seat in front of, or I guess behind really because he was RF, when we had an infinity and bag. If you have an infinity the floor might work well since it doesn't need gravity to work.

Yep infinity

fyrfightermomma

Can you list vehicle, car seats, and everyone who rides in the car on a regular basis? How far can the pump go away from her, and any directional needs? I'd like to help you figure this out, even if it means rearranging seats. :)

Oh gosh, rearranging seats! LOL I've had many a posts on this and had S untethered until E was in a booster for a while just to make it work for us! I'd really hate to rearrange seats :blush:

Car 1: 05 Dodge Grand Caravan sxt. 3rd row pass side (no TT) is E in a probooster. Driver side is Sophia in a Frontier 85. Pass side captains chair is stowed (so I can climb in and buckle everyone. I tried to have 2 captains seats and I could never get back to the 3rd row and both kids won't buckle themselves. I hated it! I won't do a RFer in the 3rd row either and with the giant hole in the cargo area where the stow n go seats store it's impossible to load into the 3rd row too as there is no where to kneel. DH nixed the 3rd row RFer a long time ago too lol) Joey is in driver side captains seat RFing in a RA50

Car 2: 05 Kia Sedona. Evelyn 3rd row pass side in a probooster. Driver side of 3rd row is stowed and has to be as DH has to put his firefighter gear there after each shift and there is no other room. 2nd row bench is Joey RFing in a RA50 driver side and Sophia in a GN pass side

Work your magic KQ :)

ETA: She has about 24" of slack

Last edited:

TerisBoys

OK - looked at those two vehicles on Ebay. Hopefully these help someone else visualize.

2005 Caravan (second to last pic shows the wayback) - is her tubing long enough that you could hook her pack on one of the grocery hooks on the back of her seat? Even temporarily until a better solution comes up - that way it would at leave be somewhat compartmentalized. What about something around that rear hinge if it's accessible, or possibly the seat belt anchor itself?

Sedona - is the driver's side third stowed or removed? If it's removed, can you get a D-ring around one of the bars on the floor to attach it to? Then caribeaner to the d-ring. Is that a tether anchor on the floor behind her seat? And is that bar thing on the base structural?

fyrfightermomma

OK - looked at those two vehicles on Ebay. Hopefully these help someone else visualize.

2005 Caravan (second to last pic shows the wayback) - is her tubing long enough that you could hook her pack on one of the grocery hooks on the back of her seat? Even temporarily until a better solution comes up - that way it would at leave be somewhat compartmentalized. What about something around that rear hinge if it's accessible, or possibly the seat belt anchor itself?

Sedona - is the driver's side third stowed or removed? If it's removed, can you get a D-ring around one of the bars on the floor to attach it to? Then caribeaner to the d-ring. Is that a tether anchor on the floor behind her seat? And is that bar thing on the base structural?

I could try that with the caravan. Can I do the seat belt anchor if she's using the belt?

In the kia, the seat is removed. I didn't see any bars, I'll have to look! That will work perfect. Yes there is a tether anchor behind her

TerisBoys

I could try that with the caravan. Can I do the seat belt anchor if she's using the belt?

In the kia, the seat is removed. I didn't see any bars, I'll have to look! That will work perfect. Yes there is a tether anchor behind her

How heavy is her bag/pump? The seat belt is made to restrain a LOT more weight than her+booster+bag, IMO.
In my Pontiac, the tether anchors for the second row were the seat belt anchors for the third (pic here). Not sure if the Dodge setup is the same, as far as how the belt is anchored to the van, but if it is, that would be a good spot for a caribeaner.

Last edited:

Louisa

CPST Instructor
if she and S are both outboard what is the center seat belt doing??

i drive a 06 stow and go and there are huge metal brackets in the floor that the second row seat would hook into if it were up, surely those are load bearing?

TerisBoys

if she and S are both outboard what is the center seat belt doing??

Sitting there being overlooked. :eek:

Do you think that the center belt (lap or lap/shoulder?) pulled as tight as it will go and passed through the straps of her backpack would secure it well enough to not hit either girl?

Louisa

CPST Instructor
i think so, mine lies flat against the seat when pulled all the way tight :)
or for a third point what about a tether strap with a carabeener used also over the back of the seat like a seat in that position would useor threaded throught the bight, there is a center tether in that bench

menfusse

Um, I totally missed this. I used to sit it in the floor or seatbelt it in next to her. I just got a mommy hook, which is a giant carabiner and I'm planning to hook it to either the headrest in front of her, or the one on the center seat, or possibly permanently buckle the center seat belt and hook it to that. Not sure yet which. I have to do them all and see which one feels least like it will slam somebody in the face.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC