Securing feeding tube pump in car

Louisa

CPST Instructor
Um, I totally missed this. I used to sit it in the floor or seatbelt it in next to her. I just got a mommy hook, which is a giant carabiner and I'm planning to hook it to either the headrest in front of her, or the one on the center seat, or possibly permanently buckle the center seat belt and hook it to that. Not sure yet which. I have to do them all and see which one feels least like it will slam somebody in the face.

That sounds like a plan but i might switch to an actual climbing carabiner with a load rating, i don't know how much a mommy hook is actually rated to hold and id it broke it would be one scary projectile

ADS

menfusse

That sounds like a plan but i might switch to an actual climbing carabiner with a load rating, i don't know how much a mommy hook is actually rated to hold and id it broke it would be one scary projectile

Hmmm...good point. Where does one find a real carabiner? I bought the mommy hook for stroller use, but figured I'd just use it in the car too, but didn't think about the load rating issue. Would Wal-Mart have real ones or do I need to order, check out some big sporting goods store on my travels next week?

Louisa

CPST Instructor
Last edited:

Auntie2Avi

Hmmm...good point. Where does one find a real carabiner? I bought the mommy hook for stroller use, but figured I'd just use it in the car too, but didn't think about the load rating issue. Would Wal-Mart have real ones or do I need to order, check out some big sporting goods store on my travels next week?

Not the op but there are a ton on Amazon. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Positron-Screwgate-Carabiner/dp/B0000AMKZS/ref=pd_sim_sg_3"]Amazon.com: Black Diamond Positron Screwgate Carabiner: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] . I use a locking carabiner for my keys and I bought mine at a sporting goods store.

Momof4Girls

We have done 4 different things with it, depending on seat arrangements at any given time.

1.) and most common, is hooking the carabiner to the headrest of a seat (either in front of her-most commonly, she's RF still, so on her headrest of the vehicle seat her RN is on-or the seat next to her's headrest)

2.) Buckled into the vehicle belt of the seat next to her, locked and pulled tight.

3.) Buckled through her harness (yes, it's tight enough, no, it doesn't interfere with getting it adequately taut)

4.) We've had her put it on backwards, so it's a "front pack" instead of a backpack. Not our favorite option, but it has worked. Probably only slightly safer than having it sit on the seat/floor/whatever next to her unrestrained completely.

Carabiner and a D ring is a great idea!

I use a carabiner attached to the passenger seat head rest for Matthew's. Could you use 2 carabiners and attach it to the back of the headrest of her seat? (I was thinking that with 2 carabiners there would not be a way for it to come around and hit anyone in the face.)

I like the idea of using a Britax d-ring to attach it to a spot on the floor. That would give me a good way to secure Matthew's when I have a passenger. I might have to start doing that all the time to make it a habit.

OT: What backpack do you have for the infinity? I am looking for a new backpack for Matthew's as his last Supermini backpack broke.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Those using a carabiner, are you attaching it to a backpack? If so, arte you not concerned about the backpack straps simply ripping off and/or breaking under crash forces?

menfusse

Those using a carabiner, are you attaching it to a backpack? If so, arte you not concerned about the backpack straps simply ripping off and/or breaking under crash forces?

The thought crossed my mind, but I think no matter which way to secure it, that is a risk that we have to deal with. The backpack we are currently using is this one.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Littlelife-Runabout-Toddler-Daypack-Blue/dp/B000RF4K6S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307311778&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Littlelife Runabout Toddler Daypack, Blue: Baby[/ame] I did a little modification to use it for the pump and stuff.

The straps are wide, which I hope will help to distribute force, the top handle is a thick, stiff rope, and there is also a d-ring at the top. We've used the seat belt many times, and considering I haven't been able to find a real carabiner in person, I probably will still. It probably distributes the forces a little more. No matter what we do, it's a risk just having it in the car because you really have no idea how it will perform for any of the ways to secure it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think buckling it in like you would a person, and making sure the seatbelt is locked, is much more likely to restrain it than relying on fabric straps to hold.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC