Accident Front end damage - replace seat?

U

Unregistered

I'm wondering if I need to/should replace our Graco Myride. I rear ended a truck today. My son was not in the car, thankfully. Airbags did not deploy. I was able to drive the car to the side of the road but it's not drivable any longer.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Graco requires replacement after any collision. Also, since your vehicle is no longer drivable, it doesn't even meet the criteria for a minor collision and any manufacturer would require replacement.

Do you need recommendations for a new seat, or will you simply get another My Ride?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you Wendy. I may just get another MyRide. DS seems to be quite comfortable in it. He's tall and skinny. 38.5" and 32lbs. He's 3 years old. I was going to replace the Roundabout in my husband's car in the near future. My husband has a teeny tiny Hyndai Accent.

My husband doesn't think it needs replacing. The more I think about it the more I want to replace it to ease my mind. I drive a lot, especially with DS. Today was a fluke that I didn't have him.
I'm a FT student and we're on a super tight budget so it'll take some explaining but we'll get a new seat.

U

Unregistered

I'm not sure if it matters, but I believe the car wasn't drivable because a trailer hitch went into the engine.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Insurance should replace the seat for you.

If DH doesn't believe you that it needs replaced, have him call Graco and ask. Or check the NHTSA website. It MUST be replaced.

Pixels

It doesn't matter. The seat must be replaced after ANY collision. If he's rear facing, a Scenera is under $50. If he's forward facing, the Maestro will last longer and is about $80. If you have comprehensive coverage, insurance should cover it.

andre149

If you have full coverage insurance they should replace the seat for you. It absolutely does need to be replaced though. If you do end up getting another MyRide you can save the cover off of the one that was in the accident as a spare, but the shell of the seat needs to be destroyed/disposed of.

U

Unregistered

Thank you! Another friend mentioned the Maestro. I like the price. Another mentioned the Nautalis. We have a Target down the road so I'll take DS out tomorrow (stealing DHs carseat for my car) and have him sit in them and see what he likes. I'll call the ins company in the morning and see about gettign them to pay for it.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I agree with everyone that the seat needs to be replaced. If your child rides forward facing there is no reason to get a convertible seat for him. A forward facing combination harness to booster seat such as the Nautilus would be more practical. Glad to hear that you're not hurt and that your son was not in the car.

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone! I called the Ins company and they will cover a new seat! Thank you all!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC