Demanding to use the seat belt!

Jessica61624

My daughters best friend at school arrives the same time as us in the morning. She's noticed her friend uses the seat belt in a Hbb. She's now insisting on using the seatbelt. I've explained to her the straps are much safer and big girls use them too. Idk what else to tell her. She will be 4 next month and I'm afraid it will only get worse. Pretty much all of the kids in her class are in boosters. She's the youngest but one of the biggest. Any suggestions would be great!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For a child who is not yet four (or even newly four), I would not even consider a booster and my child would know it. There are some things that parents decide even when kids "demand" otherwise, and this is one of them.

bnsnyde

Yeah, the crash videos convinced my friend's kids to stay in boosters. They are older but were wanting only the seatbelt.

Just make it clear why you want her safe and how to stay safe. My son is 4 (almost 5) and he holds his arms out every single time he gets into his harness and says, "armpit level." He checks to make sure it's adjusted correctly (and I double-check). He is a carseat freak too! And he'll be harnessed until it does not fit once we use the Frontier. Maybe age 8 or 9.

But yes, all the Pre-K kids at our school are in boosters too, some with no back.

Kegracin

The new cars movie is coming our maybe you can go with race-car drivers use seats like yours.

I used this and videos for my DS1.

Jessica61624

carseatcoach said:
For a child who is not yet four (or even newly four), I would not even consider a booster and my child would know it. There are some things that parents decide even when kids "demand" otherwise, and this is one of them.

I am not either. She is obviously still in her harness. Id like to show her why its safe rather than fight about it every single car ride.

Jessica61624

bnsnyde said:
Yeah, the crash videos convinced my friend's kids to stay in boosters. They are older but were wanting only the seatbelt.

Just make it clear why you want her safe and how to stay safe. My son is 4 (almost 5) and he holds his arms out every single time he gets into his harness and says, "armpit level." He checks to make sure it's adjusted correctly (and I double-check). He is a carseat freak too! And he'll be harnessed until it does not fit once we use the Frontier. Maybe age 8 or 9.

But yes, all the Pre-K kids at our school are in boosters too, some with no back.

She's good about adjusting the chest clip also. Imo shew very mature. She can undo her harness buy understand if she does when we are driving she will be in big trouble.

Kat_Momof3

tell her what she's gonna have to learn at some point... different parents have different rules... and your rule is she has to be ___yrs old and ___lbs and ___inches high to use a booster with a seatbelt.

krasota

I think a four-year old can understand safety reasons. You may have to listen to lots of commentary about why other kids aren't safe and don't their parents love them and why don't the police stop the car and where is the right seat, of course, which is what I hear whenever my son notices a 2yo in a backless (or nothing at all). :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC