Question Why are people...

Kiss Me Deadly

...so hung up on 2 things when it comes to ERF? 1) Leg room and 2) What if I get hit from behind?

I've talked to many people about ERF at length, sometimes I'm asked for info, sometimes I'm asked why my 2 year old is still RF, and sometimes it's just to chat. These are the 2 major issues that ALWAYS come up, and a few people just won't let them go. I can talk til I'm blue in the face, show them links, videos, stats, direct them here or to a tech, whatever proving how much safer it is and they are still convinced that ERF is not safe because a kid would break his or her legs, or they would be killed if rear-ended...

I just don't get the hang up on these 2 points, that are easily explained in all the data... I know several people who FF their kids well before 1 year old because "their feet hit the back of the seat."

I just don't get it.. :scratcheshead:

ADS

Jessica61624

I don't get it either. My friend told me she had to turn her 10 month old ff because if his legs touch the seat his hips will break in an accident.

momtotwogirls

Because they dont understand that kids are more flexible. they think because an adult wouldnt be comfortable with their legs bent for a long time that kids arent either but most kids sit cross-legged or on their legs with their butt up for the first few years of their life.

bnsnyde

We are going to ERF to 3 or 4 but legroom is a huge issue for me, though not for the usual reasons. It won't affect my decision to turn early. I just want something that I can actually use easily!
The other week my toddler got his leg pinched in the buckle and he was squirming, bracing his feet on the seat and screaming, and I was trying to get him in. Ouch!

If he had more legroom it wouldn't be as likely I'd pinch his skin by accident. That, and if he stops behaving like a toddler. :)

scariestone

I use this for what would happen in a rear end collision: http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html Besides that, rear end collisions are like 3% of crashes. As for legs breaking in an accident, there's never been a documented case of it happening. However, if something were to break in an accident, I'd much rather it were my child's legs or hips than their neck. Necks are almost never fixable.

mlohry

scariestone said:
I use this for what would happen in a rear end collision: http://myangelsaliandpeanut.tripod.com/id5.html Besides that, rear end collisions are like 3% of crashes. As for legs breaking in an accident, there's never been a documented case of it happening. However, if something were to break in an accident, I'd much rather it were my child's legs or hips than their neck. Necks are almost never fixable.

Great link, thanks for sharing.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I always assumed that even in a rear collision, the force of the crash still is going toward the front of the car..so a rear facing child would be supported by the shell of the seat. Unless you're driving backwards at high speeds (which I don't recommend) rear facing is safer. It's physics.

If you're moving forward in a car and are suddenly stopped (crash) your body is going to continue moving forward until stopped. (hopefully by a seat belt) the back of the restraint supports the child.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I always assumed that even in a rear collision, the force of the crash still is going toward the front of the car..so a rear facing child would be supported by the shell of the seat. Unless you're driving backwards at high speeds (which I don't recommend) rear facing is safer. It's physics.

You've got it backwards. You'll move toward the point of impact. The way you have it, you'll move toward the front of the car in either a rear or frontal collision. In a rear collision you'll move toward the back of the car (or put another way, the car is going to go forward without you). In a frontal you'll move toward the front. So in a rear collision with a rear facing child it is like they're riding forward facing. The harness, not the shell, will catch them.

Wendy

scariestone

Actually, rear collisions are far more common. But they account for about 3% of *serious* collisions.

Wendy

Gotcha, thanks. I just remembered the number from a diagram that had been posted on here. That would make sense since fender benders are fairly common but very rarely serious.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC