NHTSA changed their recommendations to rear face to 3!

ADS

Keeanh

Wow!! The way I'm reading it, it's actually to 4 if possible, meaning they've included the entire "3yo" year. The age categories are 1-3 & 4-7. For 1-3, rear-face as long as allowed. For 4-7, harness as long as allowed (I know we can debate that here, but it's a good, simple guideline for most people).

Keeanh

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it said 1-3 back in March when all of the new recommendations were first released by both AAP and NHTSA. :confused:

I'm sure it did. I'd just never looked on that website before because I'm in Canada. I was pleased to see that since we've been hearing all about the RF-to-2 thing. Now I know I can send people to the NHTSA site instead :thumbsup:.

momtotwogirls

Hmm one of the car seat safety groups on facebook said that it had jsut been updated. Im guessing alot of people didnt know it was 3 from the NHTSA, I thought it was 2 from them too.

christineka

Hmm one of the car seat safety groups on facebook said that it had jsut been updated. Im guessing alot of people didnt know it was 3 from the NHTSA, I thought it was 2 from them too.

It was updated in March when the AAP came out with their new recommendation. I liked the NHTSA's recommendations a lot better than the AAP's (which says 2 year olds should ride ffing). I'm sure that some people missed it the first time around, so it is good to spread the news again.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
From the day both new recommendations were released, I've almost exclusively been using NHTSAs new handout and their website because I think it's much more clear and much better worded than the AAP.

But regardless of which site and whether it says 2 or 3...EITHER age is WAY better than 1 and I'm thrilled about that! :love:

momtotwogirls

From the day both new recommendations were released, I've almost exclusively been using NHTSAs new handout and their website because I think it's much more clear and much better worded than the AAP.

But regardless of which site and whether it says 2 or 3...EITHER age is WAY better than 1 and I'm thrilled about that! :love:

yes either way is awesome. I just heard all about the AAP to 2 and jsut assumed the NHTSA was 2 as well

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
See, I'm not reading it that way. I'm reading it to say that if your child is between 1-3yrs old, they should (should doesn't mean HAVE to either) remain rf'ing to the limits of the seat. But when that is outgrown (even if it's at 18mo) they should ride forward facing. Well, a lot of people will use an infant seat to age 1...and when that is outgrown, go right to a FF seat. And technically, by NHTSA's guidelines, that would be perfectly fine. I wish they would have just said AGE 2 IS THE MINIMUM for FF. Period.

Jessica61624

KaysKidz said:
See, I'm not reading it that way. I'm reading it to say that if your child is between 1-3yrs old, they should (should doesn't mean HAVE to either) remain rf'ing to the limits of the seat. But when that is outgrown (even if it's at 18mo) they should ride forward facing. Well, a lot of people will use an infant seat to age 1...and when that is outgrown, go right to a FF seat. And technically, by NHTSA's guidelines, that would be perfectly fine. I wish they would have just said AGE 2 IS THE MINIMUM for FF. Period.

I agree with this. The parent with the comfort sport is going to booster the child very early by these guidelines. I think it it does encourage rf until 3 also.

momtotwogirls

its not going to say HAVE to because it isnt law yet. its say if your child is 1 through 3 meaning until they are 4 they SHOULD rear face. An average child can make it between 2-3 rear facing in the 50$ scenera heck even in the ETA and a bunch of other seats. of course you are going to have the larger children who wont but for the average child it is feasible.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They do mention a convertible seat and using it to the limits. what we really need to do is get rid of the Comfort Sport. :p

Pixels

Even an 80th percentile child will make it to two RFing in the ComfortSport. For forward facing, most kids will outgrow before age 4 but the NHTSA does say to stay harnessed until the child turns 4, so a parent following that will buy a combination seat. Age 4 isn't boostering "very early." :twocents: Perhaps a bit earlier than we would like for full time use, but better than the age 3 that is common currently.

christineka

I had a 32 pound barely 1 year old at a check in a very new comfortsport. The mom sounded like she would have turned her dd rfing if she could in her comfortsport. I really wish graco would do away with it- or at least make it taller and make the rfing weight limit 35 pounds.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
That's assuming people buy a convertible. In these parts, they go from infant seat to FF only combination seat because it saves $$. And according to NHTSA, it's OK. :(

momtotwogirls

They are all good! My sister doesnt make my newly turned 7 yr old neice ride in a booster because she is convinced the law says 49" and ive tried to convince her its 4'9" but she doesnt believe me and doesnt read the links I send her

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC